News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Biggest Draft Bust of All Time?

Started by Bryan Payne, May 10, 2010, 07:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Payne

Ok, so Jemarcus Russel, to no one's great surprise is toast.  He had one average season and most people agree the talent was there just not the heart, so there's a chance he could come back as a backup somewhere and eventually become a solid qb in the league.  Not likely, but it's possible.

But that brings to mind what are the biggest draft busts for you guys?   

I'll start out. 

Ryan Leaf.   Yeah, that's right the qb of one of the last good Michigan teams, who was supposed to be better than Peyton Manning... and a stellar pick by the Chargers.  This guy became the project of about three other teams, including the Cowboys at one point before vanishing off the face of the earth.  What happened with this guy?  Did he just not put the time in film and coaches?  All the physical tools where there, he was tall, strong had a little mobility and an arm like a rocket launcher and by most accounts he wasn't stupid either. 

Hondo

Akili Smith. (1999, Round 1, Pick 3, Cincinnati Bengals)

I may be a bit biased as a Bengals fan, but I saw the guy play and he is hands down one of the worst pro quarterbacks I've ever seen. I'd rather have 100 Dave Klinglers than one Akili Smith. By and large he was inept, unequipped to play football at a professional level. This is all the stranger, considering it wasn't just the Bengals who thought him to be the next big thing. If you'll remember, a lot of teams had Smith higher on their draft boards than Tim Couch or Donovan McNabb, two guys who were valued the most at the time.

A quick look at Smith's numbers
*22 career games (17 starts)
*215 completions/461 attempts (46.6% Completion Percentage)
*2,212 total passing yards (1,253 in his best statistical season)
*4.8 yards per pass average
*Five (FIVE!!!!) touchdowns to 13 interceptions.
*52.8 Quarterback rating.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I'd have gone with Leaf as the biggest bust...so here are some not so big busts, but still busts none the less!

Pete Warrick was a big bust as a Bengals wide out in 2000 and I'd consdier Charles Rogers a bust for the Lions.

From a completely selfish point of view as Bears fan two stand out...Rex Grossman and Rashaan Salaam...

Also remember how everyone was all over the nut sack of Raghib Ismail when he came on the scene...he did get a couple of 1,000 yard seasons, but was pretty bust worthy...also dare I say Reggie Bush?
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

jayallday83

Hmm I don't think I would put Reggie Bush on this list as I think he still could play if he stays healthy...For me its between Leaf and Russell, but the more and more I think about it I have to go with Ryan Leaf.....yeah I know he was drafted #2 and russell was #1 BUT the major difference here is Leaf is retired...Russell however unlikely it is, still has a chance to pull himself together and salvage some sort of career, even if its mediocre. Leaf doesn't have that chance or luxury so I am gonna go with him as the biggest flop ever....can you believe this guy and Peyton Manning use to get compared....wtf.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I wonder what happened to all those Leaf 'Colts' shirts.

Black Death

Quote from: Bryan Payne on May 10, 2010, 07:07:50 AM
Ok, so Jemarcus Russel, to no one's great surprise is toast.  He had one average season and most people agree the talent was there just not the heart, so there's a chance he could come back as a backup somewhere and eventually become a solid qb in the league.  Not likely, but it's possible.

But that brings to mind what are the biggest draft busts for you guys?   

I'll start out. 

Ryan Leaf.   Yeah, that's right the qb of one of the last good Michigan teams, who was supposed to be better than Peyton Manning... and a stellar pick by the Chargers.  This guy became the project of about three other teams, including the Cowboys at one point before vanishing off the face of the earth.  What happened with this guy?  Did he just not put the time in film and coaches?  All the physical tools where there, he was tall, strong had a little mobility and an arm like a rocket launcher and by most accounts he wasn't stupid either. 

Ryan Leaf played for washington state , not michigan,  he got his ass handled to him by michagan in the rose bowl ,  Charles woodson pick him off for least twice  . but he never played for michigan ever.  leaf was classic to much to fast , he could not handle the pressure of being the main man so soon. if he had chance to learn the system maybe ease into the role after few years it could have been different . but he crack like egg shell and rest is history
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

Tony Mandarich...nuff said.

6'5", 325, ran a 4.6, benched 39.

Got off roids, and sucked in the NFL.

Him or JaMarcus for my #1.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Cory on May 10, 2010, 02:45:22 PM
Tony Mandarich...nuff said.

6'5", 325, ran a 4.6, benched 39.

Got off roids, and sucked in the NFL.

Him or JaMarcus for my #1.

Wasnt he like the Packers Tackle?

Also BOZWORTH!!!!! LOL

Cory

Yeah.

He got labaelled as the best lineman ever by sports illustarted before the draft, then like first game of his career, got off the roids, came in 20 pounds light, and Eagles end Reggie White (RIP) burned him for like 6 sacks, and his career was like done,

Exile

the incredible bulk, gotta love that SI cover.

Tim Couch needs to go on the list. That was pretty massive bust as was Courtney Brown. Two browns number 1 picks back to back flop.

Cory

I think JaMarcus has to be #1, because of the money lost.

None of those other guys got HUGE contracts like Russell did....

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Cory on May 11, 2010, 03:09:52 PM
I think JaMarcus has to be #1, because of the money lost.

None of those other guys got HUGE contracts like Russell did....

I am pretty sure Bozworth did...I mean he was being paid the largest rookie contract of all time in 1987. And I remember Boz doing the following...

- Getting suspended in college for roid abuse
- Being drafted by a soccer team after he sent a load of NFL teams letters BEFORE the draft saying he would never play for them
- Sued the NFL for the right to wear number 44
- Bo Jackson incident on Monday Night football
- After two games in 89 he retired...

If you are coming with this much hype and that sort of cash for the 80s, you better deliver...The Boz did not.

Fnord

My votes would be for Couch and Leaf.  Brutal.  Plus... brutal names, too.   :P

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Ryan Ruckus

Quote from: Lemke on May 11, 2010, 12:03:23 PM
the incredible bulk, gotta love that SI cover.

Tim Couch needs to go on the list. That was pretty massive bust as was Courtney Brown. Two browns number 1 picks back to back flop.

I'm going to go ahead and nominate almost every damn draft pick the Browns have made since I was old enough to understand they're the single worst drafting team in the entire NFL. It's almost like a joke. Like they all get together before draft day, and say, 'okay, how can we top last year's bone-head decision?'

Exile

outside of the NFL biggest draft bust is Sam Bowie