News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Biggest Draft Bust of All Time?

Started by Bryan Payne, May 10, 2010, 07:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Lemke on May 12, 2010, 05:01:50 PM
outside of the NFL biggest draft bust is Sam Bowie

In reference to where he was selected indeed...I wonder if Greg Oden has also purchased a property in bustville...I hear Darko Miličić has a home next to him.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Hondo

Quote from: Lemke on May 12, 2010, 05:01:50 PM
outside of the NFL biggest draft bust is Sam Bowie

First he brings up Tim Couch, then Sam Bowie.

I silently wonder if Lemke's picking on me.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Ash Bombay

TO Me, I have to go with Jamarcus Russell as being the biggest bust.   Because, yes Ryan Leaf was compared to Peyton Manning, and wasn't anywhere near Manning's league, He wasn't Drafted over Manning. Manning was still no 1 pick that year. Jabustcus Russell was drafted over Adrian Peterson. Like really?

I heard Boz being tossed in there. Yeah, I guess he could be tossed in there, because of his antics. But I wouldn't call him a flop due to Seattle had to know what they were getting into with drafting the Boz because the guy had character issues in college. Documented character issues. And he wasn't tossed all that much money. 10 years for 11 million dollars. Maybe back in 87, that was a huge contract, but I think they were able to easily recover from that. Not to mention it's not that he got cut and was out of the league like Leaf or Manning. He legitly had to retire on his own terms cuz of injury. A year later Bo Jackson was out of the league due to his injury as well. Plus, the Boz was outspoken and straight up said he is only using his time in the NFL to get into acting. Now if you want to call the Boz a bust in movies, I agree with that. Haha.

Sgt. Josh Underpants

Quote from: Ian on May 10, 2010, 10:23:33 AM
Also remember how everyone was all over the nut sack of Raghib Ismail when he came on the scene...he did get a couple of 1,000 yard seasons, but was pretty bust worthy...also dare I say Reggie Bush?

Ok I agree with Leaf being the biggest bust as well, but how dare you defile the name of "The Rocket" Ian.  I'm sorry but I can't let that one slide.  The man was great and nowhere near what I would consider a bust
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.

Cory

Yeah, Rocket was one of the best return men in history.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

You guys are crazy...a bust can also be identified by the hype they got coming out of college etc.. Ismail was suppose to be an amazing receiver and returner and was going to revolutionize the two positions...I dont think he even returned a kick off for a touchdown lol, so how either of you two can call him a great return man is beyond me. He racked up two just barely 1,000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL, one of which was with a hot Cowboys team he was nothing like the label he got in college and is INCREDIBLY similiar in bust comparisons to Reggie Bush in that respect. Not being able to adapt to the NFL game and nothing like the hype they got out of college.

As for Boz...11 million over 10 years Ash was a record for a rookie player back then and for the record that was 23 YEARS AGO MAN players werent exactly reeling that in.

Russell is a hell of a bust, I am down with that, but remember some of us might have been watching NFL for a considerable amount of time. Its like when people say whos the greatest player of all-time...salaries and skills are all relative to the time era.

Cory

Im going to toss some footy busts.

-Jose Antionio Reyes - FUCK. This. GUY.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ash Bombay

So...Ian, just the point of arguing, lol....Bosworth wasn't even the highest paid rookie that year. Vinny Testaverde was the no 1 overall pick that year and signed for 8.2 million for 6 years. More then what Bosworth signed for. And in all reality could be considered a bust himself. He made 2 pro bowls in 21 years. All he has going for him was he was a solid contributor, but hardly good for a no 1 over all pick. Just saying.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Ash Bombay on May 15, 2010, 07:30:03 PM
So...Ian, just the point of arguing, lol....Bosworth wasn't even the highest paid rookie that year. Vinny Testaverde was the no 1 overall pick that year and signed for 8.2 million for 6 years. More then what Bosworth signed for. And in all reality could be considered a bust himself. He made 2 pro bowls in 21 years. All he has going for him was he was a solid contributor, but hardly good for a no 1 over all pick. Just saying.

Still the biggest contract handed out to a rookie was Boz at that time, a 10 year deal is crazy for 11 million for a MLB. Also, I'd take 21 years of NFL experience and 2 PRO BOWLS...over 2 years and Bo Jackson making me his bitch on Monday Night football.

Bryan Payne

In regards to the rocket.  He did become a serviceable receiver.  When set beside guys who were drafted super high with equal or greater hype who were totally unable to play in the pro game at all as contributes..  I'm not sure he belongs on this list.

Now did he under perform the hype?  Sure.  But he did become a solid number 2 option for a number of years, I don't really call that 'greatest bust' worthy when set beside some of the others, though he certainly did not live up to the hype.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Bryan Payne on May 16, 2010, 02:29:22 AM
In regards to the rocket.  He did become a serviceable receiver.  When set beside guys who were drafted super high with equal or greater hype who were totally unable to play in the pro game at all as contributes..  I'm not sure he belongs on this list.

Now did he under perform the hype?  Sure.  But he did become a solid number 2 option for a number of years, I don't really call that 'greatest bust' worthy when set beside some of the others, though he certainly did not live up to the hype.

On the same flip side, Russell still has a shot at a NFL career before we call him a bust....Rocket's is finished, that dude was suppose to revolutionize the WR and KR positions. Both Cory and Ash said he was a great return man...maybe in Madden. In the NFL he didnt return punts from memory and had mediocre KR stats. As a number two receiver...please...when you have been given as much hype as he did when he left college the world was epecting a lot more.

The Dudester

I kinda got to add Couch to the list with JaMarcus. The difference between them is almost everyone in the world knew JaMarcus wasn't worth shit except Oakland. On the other hand, the college career Tim COuch had... people were expecting him to be damn near as good as Manning...

then... he... um.... sucked.

Badly.

Sad for me as a UK fan. Tim COuch was the best player ever at UK... and a complete bust. :(