News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Boston Celtics

Started by JohnS., December 19, 2008, 10:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnS.

What a freakin team. Seriously. I'm a die hard Philly fan, so naturally the Sixers are my team, but I gotta say I enjoy watching teh Celtics play basketball more than any other NBA team. They are crisp, damn near flawless when they play. 26 games into the season, and they are 24-2. Best record in the NBA, and they are currently enjoying a 16 game winning streak. Simply amazing.

So...Do the Celtics have the potential to win 70 games?

Jose The Law Ramon

No, and here's why -
1) Ray Allen is due for his annual ankle injury by January
2) By the time April/May comes, if they've already reached the 60-win mark the stars will sit and the bench will be evaluated, which isn't a great bench without Posey anymore
3) As much as they can get a LOT of wins from the East (because let's face it, there's only 3, 4 teams tops that can win the championship in the east this year), they still have to get through much of the west
4) I think Cleaveland and Atlanta are really going to stymie them into confusion for the rest of the season, especially with the improved play of Mo-Will and the overall youth of the Hawks

That being said, I see them as a mid/high-60 win team this year. I would find it humorous though if they lose in the first round to the Hawks or whomever is going to be the 8 seed.

Black Death

no..but they will be close ... so will the lakers .   Lakers and Cetics  the rematch in the NBA finals ,  yep I called it first
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Fuck the Celtics...

Gordon and Rose FTW!
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

JohnS.

Quote from: Sir Ian Trumps on December 20, 2008, 09:48:17 AM
Fuck the Celtics...

Gordon and Rose FTW!

Don't bet on it Ian...It hurts my brain to imagine you losing money   :P

Black Death

Quote from: Sir Ian Trumps on December 20, 2008, 09:48:17 AM
Fuck the Celtics...

Gordon and Rose FTW!

Lol   can not blame you Ian got to stay loyal to your team .   but  out of the east it looks like right now it the cetics .  but it a long season anyhting can happen
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I know the Bulls will be lucky to make the playoffs, which perplexes me cause I actually think we have one of the deepest benches in the NBA for guys who can give you something. Every year I bet on the Bulls and Bears to win the NBA Championship and Superbowl respectively. A few years ago, I had the Bears down for winning the NFC North, the NFC and the Superbowl. Obviously I did well with the first and second options of those lol.

This year I got the Bulls at 25/1 to win the NBA title and the Bears at 50/1 to win the Superbowl. Didnt get amazing odds on Bears to win the North, but got great odds for the Jets to win which isn't too bad and was a random bet to start the year.

I conceed the Celtics are a amazing team, but I stand by the fact they are no Bulls of the 90s. That was the greatest team and dynasty of all time as far as I am concerned. We had two legitimate superstars in Michael Jordan the greatest player ever and Scottie Pippen a legit super duper star. For me though...the NBA has been in steep decline of amazing players. Gone are the days of the Ewings, Hakeems, Magics, Isiahs, Birds etc etc who have been replaced by one season wonders and glorified ball hogs.

For me at the moment there are only four players worth talking about in the NBA...James, Yao, Bryant and Dwight Howard.

I think what the Celtics have effectively done and what will lead them to at least the Easten finals is get two/three star players. Most teams have been trying to emmulate that this season or in recent seasons past. I just don't see this being another dynasty though and for me only dynasties win yah 70 games :)
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

TheEnigmaticOne

I'm going with Ian on this one...

I was reading the top post and thinking and it reminded how I was sitting in my dorm about a month ago with my roommate and a friend, and watching the Magic/Bulls, Suns/Bulls, Jazz/Bulls Finals games on YouTube. The chemistry between all of those teams were absolutely amazing. We sat naming off how deep almost every team was in the early to mid 90's.

The Bulls were absolutely flawless at every position. If Jordan had an off night, Pippen dropped 30. If Pippen was off, Kukoc erupted for 30..Paxson/Kerr/BJ Armstrong..the list goes on. Let alone Dennis Rodman himself was an absolute beast. Hands down the best overall athlete to play in the NBA. Yeah that could bring some argument, but that guy out hustled, out rebounded, and brought more aggression than anyone to step on the floor with him.

We also discussed how the NBA was more team oriented in the 90's. It was the Chicago Bulls vs. Phoenix Suns. Not Barkley vs. Jordan or Kevin Johnson vs. Scottie Pippen. It's turned into an individual game and it takes the overall excitement out of the game for me. Notice last years finals.

Kobe Bryant versus The Big 3.

When the supporting cast won 3 of the 4 games played..Posey, House, Rondo

Same with the entire Laker dynasty. It took 2 titles for the media to realize..."wow. They couldn't have done it without Horry,Fox, and Fish"

Don't get me wrong, Boston is a great team. But my money is on Cleveland in the East this year.

And being from California, yes I do have a soft spot for the Lakers. I do feel they are a tad overrated.  Especially watching them play catch up after blowing a 12 point lead in the 4th and winning by the skin of their teeth in 85% of the games they've played this year.

Because even though they have the ability to totally annihilate opponents. They still forget how to play the game in the second half and go "oh well. Kobe will score in the 4th and get us by". That mentality isn't going to win them the NBA Title until they learn to walk on their own for an ENTIRE game.

San Antonio v. Cleveland in 09 Finals.