News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Arturo Gatti... found dead

Started by Sally Screw, July 12, 2009, 02:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally Screw

One of the greatest brawlers of all-time, the pride of Montreal, Arturo Gatti, was found dead in his Braziliian hotel room. Foul play is suspected. Follow the link below for more details.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4321150

Kenfucius

*stunned*

Gatti was one of the guys I really looked up to and enjoyed watching when I first really started getting into boxing. This is one of those things that just leave me feeling rather shocked and upset.

RIP, Arturo.

Rebel Child

And now they're holding his wife...

* Print
    * Back to story

Yahoo! News
Police detain wife of former boxing champion Gatti
By TALES AZZONI, Associated Press Writer Tales Azzoni, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 1 min ago

SAO PAULO â€" The wife of former boxing champion Arturo Gatti was detained as a suspect by Brazilian authorities Sunday following his death at a posh seaside resort.

Police said 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues was taken into custody after contradictions in her interrogation. Gatti's body was found early Saturday in a hotel room at the Porto de Galinhas resort in northeastern Brazil.

The former junior welterweight champion was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found at the scene with blood stains, said Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police. She told The Associated Press that the Canadian also had a head injury.

The investigation was not complete, but Saraiva said authorities were preparing to present a formal accusation against Rodrigues, who denied being involved in her husband's death.

Police said Rodrigues, a Brazilian, could not explain how she spent nearly 10 hours in the room without noticing that Gatti was already dead.

Police were investigating witness reports that the couple fought and Gatti was drunk when he returned to his room Friday night, Saraiva said, adding that police were told the pair were extremely jealous of each other and that he constantly complained of her clothing when she traveled to Brazil.

Acelino "Popo" Freitas, a four-time world champion Brazilian boxer, told Globo TV's Web site on Saturday that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife and that he "knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate."

The couple's 1-year-old son, who was unhurt, was with Rodrigues' sister, Saraiva said.

The 37-year-old Gatti, whose epic trilogy with Micky Ward branded him one of the most exciting fighters of his generation, retired in 2007 with a career record of 40-9 and 31 knockouts.

Known for his straightforward punching and granite-like chin, Gatti captured the junior welterweight title in 1995, when he defeated Tracy Harris Patterson in Atlantic City.

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

* Questions or Comments
    * Privacy Policy
    * Terms of Service
    * Copyright/IP Policy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090712/ap_on_sp_bo_ne/box_gatti_death;_ylt=Aqf6p5ieIYhx2x4SwlWojIOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJ0cTNqbzY2BGFzc2V0Ay9hcC8yMDA5MDcxMi9hcF9vbl9zcF9ib19uZS9ib3hfZ2F0dGlfZGVhdGgEcG9zAzcEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3BvbGljZWRldGFpbg--

Cory

I was shocked when my brother told me this morning....shock.

Legend, Canadian Icon.

RIP

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE