Zola confirmed as new West Ham boss.

Started by Duckman, September 11, 2008, 01:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

From BBC sport:

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola insisted his lack of managerial experience would not hamper him in his new job when he was unveiled at Upton Park on Thursday.

The Italian, who has signed a three-year deal with the club, has not managed a club side before.

"I know I am not the most experienced manager, but I have ideas and have been involved in football for 20 years," the 42-year-old said.

"It's a great opportunity and I am sure I can do a great job for this club."

There have been reports that Zola wants Chelsea assistant Steve Clarke, who coached him at Stamford Bridge, to be his number two at Upton Park.

He did not confirm this, but said that Antonio Pintus would be coming in as a fitness coach, while caretaker manager Kevin Keen would remain part of the club's coaching staff.

Keen will take charge of West Ham for Saturday's Premiership match at West Brom, so Zola's first match in charge will be against Newcastle at home on 20 September.

Pintus used to work at Chelsea, as well as at Monaco and Juventus.

Zola played for Chelsea from 1996 to 2003 and has been voted the club's greatest-ever player by their fans.

The two clubs have an intense rivalry, yet Zola insisted this would not be a problem.

He said: "I had seven wonderful years with Chelsea and it's something I will never forget. But here I have the opportunity of another experience, as a manager.

"I hope it will be as good as those seven years were. What is important is the present and this club that has faith in me.

"I am totally focused on what I am doing here with West Ham. The club has got tradition and I am just here to help develop the team and to develop the players.

"That is my duty and I will do it with all of myself. I will give to these players all of my experience and all of my knowledge - I am here to be somebody good for them."

Zola, who is West Ham's fifth manager in seven years and their first foreign boss, was an instinctive and lavishly gifted forward.

He promised to also have an attacking philosophy now he is a manager.

"My philosophy is to play offensive football if I can," he said. "I have always done that, because I trust it.

"We have to make it enjoyable for the players first and then for the crowd and everybody.

"Obviously we will have to be a balanced team, but the philosophy will be to play offensive football."

Zola succeeds Alan Curbishley, who resigned last Wednesday because a lack of control over the club's transfer policy.

Technical director Gianluca Nani had been mainly responsible for which players were bought and sold at the end of Curbishley's reign.

Zola thanked Nani for "backing me" and said he had "no problem" working with his compatriot.

He said: "My work is on the pitch, my first duty is to develop the team. The director is working with me, not against me.

"I said to the board that everyone has to work together as a team. We will try to do things together for the good of the club."

And the Italian paid tribute to his predecessor. "I believe Curbishley has done a great job here and I respect him very much," he said.

Chief executive Scott Duxbury said Zola had been the board's "unanimous choice" to be their new manager.

I've got to say it's a strange choice as manager.  I was sure they'd go with someone more experienced, especially considering some of the egos he'll have to deal with at West Ham (Bellamy, Neil, Dyer, Bowyer).

Still, if they give him time and back him financially he's got the perfect club to launch his managerial career with.

So what'd you guys make of the appointment? 

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Ally

VERY interesting.

Im really not sure what its achieving however.

Why sack/force out an established very good manager and test it on a complete unknown quantity? Especially an ex-Chelsea unknown quantity going to West Ham, that wont go down greatly.

I'm from the school of earn your stripes before getting the top job, i personally think giving people like...Zola, Vialli, Guillit whoever a job basically on their playing credentials is a bit daft. I'd also think Alan Shearer getting the Newcastle job, which will happen eventually, not this time, but eventually down the line, BEFORE he's learnt his trade would be an error.

In fact most the best managers in the world had HORRIBLE careers, Ferguson was banded around the SPL and 1st divisions, didnt really "make it". 20 years at Manchester United is no mean feat.

Arsen Wenger was rubbish, I think he even retired at about 28? Yet he can spot talent at as young as 14 and make anyone amazing. Top top manager.

Jose Mouriniho was never in the top league in Portugal if memory serves me correct, yet look at the man?!

Notable horrible managers include Bobby Charlton, Ganluca Vialli, Brian Kidd, Bryan Robson, even Ruud Guillit in my eyes, terrible with his "shexy football". However in playing careers they've picked up a few trophys between them.

Back on point for a second however, wheres West Ham's money coming from? Pardew made Curbs job neigh on impossible, they signed loads of players with history of injuries or being in general rubbish with massive wages and long contracts. They need to sell those players, who just wont leave because they'll pick up their cheque at the front desk and limp out on their crutches.

I never make predictions, and I never will.

Black Death

well all I can say sometimes the new guys  can work out for the better. 
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Ally on September 11, 2008, 02:12:36 PM

Why sack/force out an established very good manager and test it on a complete unknown quantity? Especially an ex-Chelsea unknown quantity going to West Ham, that wont go down greatly.

My thoughts exactly, its not like Curbs did a bad job with the Hammers he saved them from certain relegation two seasons ago and I believe they finished top ten last season. Its the fucking press making a mountain out of a mole hill. What annoys me is the entire nation is suppose to have a bleeding heart for that twat Kevin Keegan who has never finished anything, yet Curbs a loyal and successful manager is out in the cold? Bollocks if you ask me. I hope Zola falls flat on his Midget Andre the Giant looking face and the Hammers are relegated for making one of the most stupid moves in football.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Quadzilla

Gullit and Vialli were both top managers for Chelsea.

I LOVE ZOLA.

Quote from: Russaholic Ewe-ing on February 07, 2012, 03:14:24 PM
By revealing to me that I can play MGS on the Xbox you received the award of BEING THE BEST HUMAN BEING FUCKING EVER.

Duckman

They weren't top managers.  They never won the league or did anything in Europe!

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Quadzilla

Ahem...

1998 European Cup Winners Cup Winners.
1998 European Super Cup Winners
1998/1999 UEFA Champions League Quarter Finalists (Knocked out by an amazing Barca team eventually, and beat the Almighty AC Milan at the San Siro 3-1)
Finished 3rd in the league, and had Vialli not been sacked, quite possibly could have bettered that, such is the opinion of legend and nice guy (I met him in a service station toilet on the way home from Everton no less) Ray Wilkins.

Vialli was, up until Mourinho. Our most successful manager of all time. The foundations were laid by Gullit and initially Hoddle. But Luca was the man who won the cups.

Plus we played very good football under Ruud and Luca, something we have missed until Big Phil came into the fray.

So yeah, LUCA VIALLI'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!!!!  8)

By revealing to me that I can play MGS on the Xbox you received the award of BEING THE BEST HUMAN BEING FUCKING EVER.

Duckman

Super Cup?  Quarter Finals?  That's not success, that's below average at best.

Chelsea had no successful managers until Jose.   FACT!

Peace

Duckman

Quadzilla

Vialli won 5 trophies in 2/3 years.

And for a club that until 2003 couldn't compete with the likes of Manchester United and a squad with an average age of over 30. I think we did alright. ;)

The Super Cup win was against Real Madrid as well. Their first team too.

It was also not until around 1998 that we started to become a top 6 team. Which seeing as we spent the majority of the early premier league years stuck at mid/bottom half for Vialli and Gullit to lift us to that level says a lot about their managerial skills at the time.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

It is also worth noting Chelsea's super wealth started well with the guy who horribly died in the helicopter crash and not Roman.

I would say Chelsea fans shouldnt forget that, but I cant ironically remember the guys name.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Quadzilla

Matthew Harding. :)

Ironically enough, it was his vision and ultimate goal that Chelsea would be in the position we are now by 2003/04. Which was our first season after Abramovich bought the club.

Matthew Harding- Gone but not forgotten.