News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Kony 2012

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, March 07, 2012, 08:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Level-One

Quote from: Cory on March 08, 2012, 12:58:58 AM

LOL! Pretty much sums it up the entire Facebook friends ordeal.

On one hand I like the fact something that matters has caught on and spread like a wildfire that isn't a Justin Beiber tune or a Jersey Shore clip; on the other hand this cause ultimately calls for more government intervention from our world police which tends to make a bad situation worse.

Coupled by the fact the group in question isn't half the threat it's made out to be in the film, recently discovered oil reserves in Uganda and the fact the army in Uganda is known to rape and pillage heavily involved in corruption themselves has me staying far away from this. Not to mention, I haven't even mentioned killing this piece of shit literally achieves nothing, then some paper victory the media will call justice.

Are we ready to launch a war to get Kony, or what? 100 troops isn't enough to accomplish anything, how many more support troops does the U.S need to send? Are we ready to kill or help support killings of child soldiers of the LRA in the thousands to get him?

I hate to be that guy, but whatever. Beyond awareness (which is fucking great, who can argue with that?) not sure this offers much in terms of solutions. The U.S needs to stop aiding countries with unstable governments because it falls into the wrong hands, spreads corruption and only makes the situation worse.

As for Rush Limbaugh, the dudes a joke. Fuck him.

jagilki

Being fair though.  Note that the Rush link was back when the 100 was sent, and before all this.

Not defending the guy, just pointing out he wasn't responding to the current deal.

Kieran King

Usually I find Level-One's conspiracy theories to be hilarious. This time, I pretty much agree with him. I'm all for holding Kony accountable for his actions. The dude's clear a fucktard like Gaddafi and Hussein and all others that were made "famous" before him. The alternative in Uganda isn't any better though. It makes people aware of the issue, which is awesome, but it doesn't solve a thing.

Rob

I understand why people might want to make a stand and get those in power to actually do something. But I don't agree with shilling out money for tshirts and posters... Looks more like a reason to make a few bucks on their end now than to do something about it.

I think raising the public profile will help, but buying a $50 tshirt and a $10 bracelet won't change anything.
SixersEagles

[/center]

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Rob on March 08, 2012, 06:23:24 AM
I understand why people might want to make a stand and get those in power to actually do something. But I don't agree with shilling out money for tshirts and posters... Looks more like a reason to make a few bucks on their end now than to do something about it.

I think raising the public profile will help, but buying a $50 tshirt and a $10 bracelet won't change anything.

I got the pack for 30 dollars with everything included.

Quote from: Cory on March 08, 2012, 12:59:40 AM
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jennifer

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Jennifer on March 08, 2012, 07:41:45 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

lol funny thing is, when I quoted Cory, I thought I copy/pasted this link. Glad you did it for me!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

T-Bonizzle

Invisible children only donate 30% of what they get for their causes. The company pockets the other 70% for wages, marketing, and profit.

There are better charities to donate to.

As much as this Kony guy is a dickhead, this campaign isn't exactly going about it the right way. More military action doesn't really solve the issue. Because if we're attacking the LRA, we're going to be fighting against the children this guy kidnaps. That doesn't exactly solve anything.

I hope we get this guy and the awareness is cool, I just hope the government goes about this the right way.

Doug E Fresh

Quote from: T-Bonizzle on March 08, 2012, 09:39:59 AM
Invisible children only donate 30% of what they get for their causes. The company pockets the other 70% for wages, marketing, and profit.

As much as this Kony guy is a dickhead, this campaign isn't exactly going about it the right way. More military action doesn't really solve the issue. Because if we're attacking the LRA, we're going to be fighting against the children this guy kidnaps. That doesn't exactly solve anything.

I hope we get this guy and the awareness is cool, I just hope the government goes about this the right way.

^This.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: T-Bonizzle on March 08, 2012, 09:39:59 AM

Did you read what Speedy posted?

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Cory

Anyone noticed this has been going on for twenty years? Are we going to save every other african country under similar regimes?

Anyone else see Hotel Rwanda? Blood Diamond, ect.

Dont get it twisted....Kony needs to be stopped, but rather than looking for handouts or donating to some faulty charity isnt going to do it. The Ugandians need to grow a set and go on a man hunt.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Mike Powers

There are far too many problems and atrocities committed every day on American soil for me to truly want to focus/care about every other country in the world.  Don't get me wrong, what is going on is terrible.  Completely, without equivocation.  But the US overextends itself to be Superman for the planet Earth, and as a result our own country suffers.

Let Uganda handle Uganda.  Let the Middle East handle the Middle East.  If we leave those fuckers alone, maybe they wouldn't hate us so much, and want to kill us on sight.  Look at Canada.  They keep to themselves, and nobody wants to kill/hates them.

Cory

:)

Love to be Canadian.....except we send "packages" to these countries rather than troops. Billion dollar packages..... :(

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Gary

So what if people wanna shell out $30.00 to a cause that isn't 100% pure, better than spending $30.00 bucks getting drunk, buying pointless stuff, or drugs. So they don't spend all the profits on the cause, I doubt every single non profit in the world does (some probably do).

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Rob

Don't get my wrong I do support the entire thing, it's just the buying tshirts for me sends the wrong message in my book. I will be attending my city's demonstration on the 20th of April but only if I am sure everything is being done the right way.

Attacking that army isn't what they are asking to happen, that much is obvious in the 30 minute video. But Kony and his generals will need to be arrested and punished. The fact that nobody has heard about this bloke for his 25 years just goes to show that the only dictators we will have heard of are the ones that either make international problems (which is understandable) or have something that other countries want to gain (which I don't see as such a bad thing, but others do).

Fact is, if you watched the video you will know that this is no longer just a problem for Uganda but a lot of other central African countries too, and something should've been done to stop that then, not years later.
SixersEagles

[/center]