News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Is it hypocritical?

Started by ¿PapaPancho?, August 26, 2013, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

¿PapaPancho?

Me and two gals (not Talon or TJ suprisingly) were having a conversation about all sorts of topics including true love. I argued that I believed in soul mates and they called me a hypocrite. They know me well and know me to be a staunch atheist and couldn't understand why I believed in something like soul mates. I can't think of a better term to call it so is it hypocritical? What do you guys think?

P.S.  eat your heart out Jon Tees

Talon

I don't think it's hypocritical to believe that two people can be more or less destined to be together and/or compatible based on non-tangible factors.

I guess its only hypocritical if you believe that you must be a christian to believe you have a soul.

- 2nd Best Overall Player 2013
- Best Town Player 2013
- Best 3rd Party Player 2013
- Best Teammate 2013 (Black Lantern Crew)
- Most Improved 2013

- Best Mafia Game 2014 (Project X Mafia)
- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2014 (Supernatural Mafia)
- 3rd Best Mafia Mod 2014 (Project X & Supernatural)

- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2015 (The Shield Mafia)
- Best Mafia Mod 2015 (The Shield Mafia w/ Pancho)

- Best Mafia Game 2016 (Interstellar)
- Best Overall Player 2016
- Best Mafia Mod 2016
- Best Town Player 2016

Rob

I don't think it's hypocritical. I didn't realise fate and destiny were only applicable to religious people
SixersEagles

[/center]

Sabra

Also the idea of a soul is hardly a Christian concept lovie.

This Means Something.

Thank you Meggie for the beautiful signature!

J-Reb

I'm not sure I understand the question.  I tend to agree with most of the folks that have posted already.  You certainly don't have to be a Christian to be "in-love" or have a soul mate.

I personally don't believe there is ONE person specifically chosen for you out there.  If that's the case, there are a lot of people out there that missed the boat.

Talon

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on August 26, 2013, 07:26:57 PM

If that's the case, there are a lot of people out there that missed the boat.

Ain't that the truth.

- 2nd Best Overall Player 2013
- Best Town Player 2013
- Best 3rd Party Player 2013
- Best Teammate 2013 (Black Lantern Crew)
- Most Improved 2013

- Best Mafia Game 2014 (Project X Mafia)
- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2014 (Supernatural Mafia)
- 3rd Best Mafia Mod 2014 (Project X & Supernatural)

- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2015 (The Shield Mafia)
- Best Mafia Mod 2015 (The Shield Mafia w/ Pancho)

- Best Mafia Game 2016 (Interstellar)
- Best Overall Player 2016
- Best Mafia Mod 2016
- Best Town Player 2016

Mike Powers

Quote from: PapaPancho on August 26, 2013, 04:56:06 PM
Me and two gals (not Talon or TJ suprisingly) were having a conversation about all sorts of topics including true love. I argued that I believed in soul mates and they called me a hypocrite. They know me well and know me to be a staunch atheist and couldn't understand why I believed in something like soul mates. I can't think of a better term to call it so is it hypocritical? What do you guys think?

P.S.  eat your heart out Jon Tees

It seems unrelated, but indulge me. Do you believe that time travel is (theoretically) possible, or pure fantasy?

Alex Smiley

I'd say your friends owe you an apology and drink of your choice, if you ask me.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Rob

I can't believe Pancho has 2 female friends.

I bet they're related.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Justin

You don't have to be religious in order to have a soul mate.  Love is love.  Not really sure what your friends were getting at.

Christian Montiero

I think they might have taken the term "soul mate" to mean a connection on a spiritual level or as fate instead of someone who's above what you find ideal in a woman. So I don't think that's hypocritical.

Some people just don't understand hypocrisy, irony, etc. Like feminists. Or those idiots who threw eggs at an abortion clinic during a pro-life demonstration.
The Broken Man...

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Mike Powers on August 26, 2013, 11:58:14 PM
It seems unrelated, but indulge me. Do you believe that time travel is (theoretically) possible, or pure fantasy?

I believe its possible but I don't believe that time is linear.  More like a river than a straight line.

Quote from: Christian Montiero on August 27, 2013, 02:32:28 PM
I think they might have taken the term "soul mate" to mean a connection on a spiritual level or as fate instead of someone who's above what you find ideal in a woman. So I don't think that's hypocritical.

Some people just don't understand hypocrisy, irony, etc. Like feminists. Or those idiots who threw eggs at an abortion clinic during a pro-life demonstration.

I think that's what they were getting at.

Quote from: Rob on August 27, 2013, 04:47:55 AM
I can't believe Pancho has 2 female friends.

I bet they're related.

I have female friends ... ask your momma  ;)

Just Kidding. She's a nice lady.

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on August 26, 2013, 07:26:57 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question.  I tend to agree with most of the folks that have posted already.  You certainly don't have to be a Christian to be "in-love" or have a soul mate.

I personally don't believe there is ONE person specifically chosen for you out there.  If that's the case, there are a lot of people out there that missed the boat.

I don't believe that there is ONE specific person out there for you but I do believe that there are specific people out there that you are destined to be with.  For me the term soul mate can also apply to best friends.  To me it means someone you were destined to always have in your life.  When it comes to romance I firmly believe in the "thunderstruck" rule.  Ever just look at someone and stop dead in your tracks because "there was just something about them."  That's what I'm getting at

Mike Powers

Quote from: PapaPancho on August 27, 2013, 11:27:47 PM
I believe its possible but I don't believe that time is linear.  More like a river than a straight line.

Most scientists that believe in time travel also believe that, essentially, that there isn't really free will, just the appearance of it. Because, if you were able to travel in time, then whatever happened/will happen has ALWAYS been that way.

So, soul mates is scientifically proven.

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Mike Powers on August 27, 2013, 11:42:26 PM
Most scientists that believe in time travel also believe that, essentially, that there isn't really free will, just the appearance of it. Because, if you were able to travel in time, then whatever happened/will happen has ALWAYS been that way.

So, soul mates is scientifically proven.

Mike Powers