News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Tips for moving out

Started by Cory, August 01, 2014, 02:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Most of ya`ll are older than me and are living on your own / have home renting experience. Me and the girlfriend are looking to move out early next year, if anyone here has any tips that'd be excellent. We're looking more into an apartment, but I'd rather try and find a house to rent.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Mike Powers

What sort if tips do you need?

Judge

I've moved a lot...best tip I can think of:  Don't wait to the last minute to pack everything.   Take a month to pack your stuff up.  It gives you time to purge your stuff and get rid of unneeded things.

Get a UHaul.  Don't rely on a friend with a truck.  They hate that shit.

Save one box and make it your "first night in" box.  Put TP, toiletries, towels, next day clothes, chargers, a skillet, bowls to eat out of etc.   That's the one box you KNOW where it goes and it'll have all the stuff you need to survive your first night without you having to dig through 30 different boxes.

Suck it up and buy boxes from UHaul, Home Depot, etc.  Don't try to get them from a grocery store.  Too much to deal with.  Moving costs money, something that people have to accept.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Cory on August 01, 2014, 02:12:40 PM
Most of ya`ll are older than me and are living on your own / have home renting experience. Me and the girlfriend are looking to move out early next year, if anyone here has any tips that'd be excellent. We're looking more into an apartment, but I'd rather try and find a house to rent.

Rent an apartment because you are less likely to have maintence issues in an apartment, you also don't have to waste time with cutting the lawn etc. because...you dont have any. However, if you are buying, do not buy an apartment. Apartments should only be seen as investment opportunities and rarely grow in value vs. that of houses. Rent an apartment, get yourself saving and then look for a deposit for a house.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

Thanks for far.

This is going to be a 5yr max kinda deal if we went the apartment route....would it be better to take the initial hit and get a house w/ mortgage and be paying to own from day one, rather than renting an apartment?

Ty

Personally, I'd say it all depends on whether or not you have stability whether to get a house or not. If you think your income will hold out, it's better to bite the struggle early and reep the benefits later but if there's a chance you will find yourself struggling a fair bit financially, its better to wait then struggle on mortgage.

My last few moves, I spent the week casually packing. Got myself a u-haul (under $100 bucks) and when people came to help us move, everything was in boxes. We bought tape from the uhaul store that was different colors and marked the box by room (and then from there, my wife labelled where in the rooms she wanted it). We had about ten friends come over and half hour into the van, 10 minute drive, half hour into the house, 2 hours of unpacking. The uhaul was full so I had to send someone back to make a second trip while everyone unpacked. I made them lunch (a lot cheaper than pizza) and everything was done in roughly 4 hours unpacked. Nobody was stressed, even had stuff ready to patch the walls from the scratches people put in them. Cost was under $200.

The last few moves I've helped others with have each taken over 10 hours with tons of stress. Some people rely on trucks (which of course, either come dirty or without straps or really late. I always keep extra straps and a broom in mine just in case for that reason) or have no idea what to do. They expect people to help them pack. After packing and loading, people are already bored/stressed/angry and that's even before it gets to their new place. Everyone starts trying to take control of the situation because nobody knows whats going on and then, it doesn't get done in time. As soon as it's done, everyone goes home (or finds convenient reasons to leave early).

The more prep time you give yourself, the better. The more prep work you do, the more help you'll get. If you can say to someone specifically "I need you to do this and this and this", they will do more and be more productive than if you just expect help. Some people can't lift, perfect they can help you clean and organize. Kinda treat it like a business.

Save up lots of money. There are a lot of expenses with moving into your first place. Damage deposit/ first month rent = $2000, getting your bills set up $500 (a bit high but budget still), eating out b/c your not unpacked $200, shelves/furniture/storage-bins/garbage cans/whatever else you suddenly realized you've never owned $300... lots of hidden random bonuses that will sap your savings. You live in GTO area eh? Rent is what like 1200-1300 there (I dunno, just guessing based on my wife living there 5 years ago) so you'll probably need to save up like $4000 just for the move and first couple months.

Captain Metro

If you've got the scratch - buy a place. I bought my first place at 21 (last year) and it's been great. You're building your own equity versus bleeding money. Often a mortgage ends up being cheaper than rent as well (rent here in Calgary is about 1600 - my mortage is a little over 1000) so there's a positive cashflow there. Ian's spot on with his comments in regards to house versus an apartment in this regards too. Plus, rates are still incredibly low now - if you wait a couple years it's cost you probably 20K in extra debt costs when interest rates go up.

For actually moving Ty's advice was pretty well spot on. Pack in advance and get professional movers - I'd also make sure you have a couple extra days off work to get set up as if you do it in a weekend you won't be done and end up unpacking stuff a year later (I still have unopened boxes).

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

Cory

Quote from: Captain Metro on August 02, 2014, 07:29:10 PM
If you've got the scratch - buy a place. I bought my first place at 21 (last year) and it's been great. You're building your own equity versus bleeding money. Often a mortgage ends up being cheaper than rent as well (rent here in Calgary is about 1600 - my mortage is a little over 1000) so there's a positive cashflow there. Ian's spot on with his comments in regards to house versus an apartment in this regards too. Plus, rates are still incredibly low now - if you wait a couple years it's cost you probably 20K in extra debt costs when interest rates go up.

For actually moving Ty's advice was pretty well spot on. Pack in advance and get professional movers - I'd also make sure you have a couple extra days off work to get set up as if you do it in a weekend you won't be done and end up unpacking stuff a year later (I still have unopened boxes).

Same situation, 21 and looking at my own place..... no idea how the rates are here in NS, but I mean theres always a chance for me to find a job I'd have to head out west anyways.

Justin

Whatever you do, I would recommend only one name to be put on the lease in the event something between you and her happen. It will make the split easier.

Ty

Quote from: JustinP on August 03, 2014, 02:06:27 PM
Whatever you do, I would recommend only one name to be put on the lease in the event something between you and her happen. It will make the split easier.

Not only that but I recommend all things only get put in one name but with access. My friend had everything in joint names with her husband when he passed away. She decided to move right away and had a lot of issues with some things to get it under 1 name without his signature. Her bank account though was in his name, they just had her fill out a couple forms with no hassle to switch names, it was a lot easier.

Captain Metro

Quote from: Cory on August 03, 2014, 12:59:05 PM
Same situation, 21 and looking at my own place..... no idea how the rates are here in NS, but I mean theres always a chance for me to find a job I'd have to head out west anyways.

Rates should be the same across the country assuming you're going to one of the Big Five (but not necessarily if you're going through a treasury branch or credit union). I also wouldn't necessarily advocate coming out west for work - there's work to be found but it's either on the Rig's (which is a different kind of life) or very low level service jobs that you'd struggle to carry a home on.

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

Ty

Construction jobs out west are a dime a dozen and in saskAtoon, they don't look to be slowing down any time soon but even with all the overtime, 10-15 bucks an hour isn't worth it IMO