News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Goodbye, Dialup...I Hardly Knew Ye

Started by Alex Smiley, January 21, 2009, 03:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Smiley

So yeah. We got DSL from Verizon (our phone company)...3MB for abour $27 a month. Is that a good deal? I don't know, but it's better than dialup.

So, while I'm waiting to finally hook the sucker up, let's discuss how suckage dial up is.

Also...is there any way I can hook the thing up to a wireless router without a desktop PC? Because all I have are two laptops (one that's rather slow).

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Judge

Yeah.   Your DSL will come with a modem.  What you'll want to do is set that modem to do a pass through (no firewalling or anything) and then run the line from the modem to the WAN port on the wireless router.  Then that'll work as your firewall and then you can configure the  wirless router as needed.

Most of them (linksys especially) come with little CDs that give you a step by step overview of what you need to do.  It's not that hard.

Zombie Gunn

Petition to have AlexK on the knights now that he's out of the stone age, signed by:
Jesse Gunn

Alex Smiley

Quote from: Judge on January 21, 2009, 07:41:56 AM
Yeah.   Your DSL will come with a modem.  What you'll want to do is set that modem to do a pass through (no firewalling or anything) and then run the line from the modem to the WAN port on the wireless router.  Then that'll work as your firewall and then you can configure the  wirless router as needed.

Most of them (linksys especially) come with little CDs that give you a step by step overview of what you need to do.  It's not that hard.

Question, then: Would I be correct in assuming that I need to buy the router separately?

Update: So far as I know, the plan is to hook up this thing tonight. Should be fun. If I need to get the router, I'll talk to my mom about it (though I'm sure she'll think it's a good idea, so that way we can use the laptop anywhere in the house or w/e).

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.