News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Re: JDM's Album Reviews: The Darkness- Hot Cakes

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, September 11, 2012, 08:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

I honestly think posting a song or two in my music list doesn't do an album justice, nor does a short review. I thought I'd take a chance to start properly reviewing albums.

And why not start with The Avett Brothers new album 'The Carpenter'. 2009's I and Love and You was a fantastic album, possibly their best work to date, so going into 2012's The Carpenter, I had very high expectations.

Its a 12 track album, full of acoustic ballads, folk rock and strangely enough a full fledged rock song. The album has a few Gems: The Once and Future Carpenter, Down with the Shine and Winter in my heart were definitely the stand out tracks, all sounding completely different, but keeping the soulful Avett 'twang!' the band is famous for. The Once and Future Carpenter is the best ballad on the album, whereas winter in my heart sits as the albums soft centerpiece. Then comes Down with the Shine, a crowd favorite for many years now that has finally got itself onto an album and it surely doesn't disappoint- Folk rock at its best!

Then comes the bunch of other songs- sadly, I can't call them anything special. Live and Die is the best of the rest of the album- and I'd happily call it a gem if it wasn't for the Rick Rubin paw prints that messed the recording up. It sounds over produced and way too clean; none of the spirit we've seen the avett brothers display is seen.

February Seven is a song that starts off well, and gives a similar feel to 'The Perfect Space' (one of the best songs off I and Love and You) and builds towards a climax that sadly never comes. It surely leaves the listeners wanting more, but disappoints.

I never knew you is another of Rick Rubins trainwrecks in terms over overproducing a song. The song itself isn't bad, but has been ruined by its production. Even Seth Avett stated it didn't turn out as he expected it would. Not good.

Then comes the final few songs, one of which is the strangest song they've ever released in 'Paul Newman vs. The Demons'. Its a rock song that doesn't really rock. No trademark Avett screams or hard hitting banjos, just average guitar, lyrics and singing. Life, a fathers first spring and through my prayers are all too similar in terms of tempo and style. They're just heartfelt songs that really stem from Bassist Bob Crawfords family issues (Sadly, his daughter has brain cancer). They've really effected the band, and I respect them for paying homage to their family with some beautiful lyrics.

Overall, The Carpenter is an album build on hardship, hard work and Rick Rubins pawprints. It proves that sometimes hard work doesn't pay off how you planned, but that you've always got to keep on keeping on. I feel the band will keep growing and will only improve on an album that didn't deliver to the potential that was set for it.

Rating: 6.5/10

Regards,

JDM

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

J-Reb

I would agree. It's been playing all morning in my office, and while I enjoy it, it's not their best work. The whole thing is overproduced and lacking the true folk/indy sound that is known from the Avett's.

Well done review, JDM.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Johnny Rebel on September 11, 2012, 01:04:38 PM
I would agree. It's been playing all morning in my office, and while I enjoy it, it's not their best work. The whole thing is overproduced and lacking the true folk/indy sound that is known from the Avett's.

Well done review, JDM.

Thanks man :) Glad I'm not the only one!!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

! JDM The Professional !

I'm a huge fan of the Darkness, and upon hearing the news they were back together, I was thrilled! Justin Hawkins has such a powerful and distinct voice, and his synergy with the band has always been great live. They, in my opinion were the complete package for modern glam rock and were this generations queen.

Hot Cakes was released last month. It consists of love ballads, and catchy pop rock like the Darkness of old- but how do the songs compare to the songs fans love them for? Is this/will this be a successful comeback? Lets see!

The album opens with a heavy drum beat and catchy guitar riff, and the line 'baby, I'm a loser'. Hawkins goes on about random things, then screams... SUCK MY COCK! What more could you want from track 1 of a rock album? lol. Following it was the first single off the album, 'Nothings gonna stop us'. While its catchy, it isn't a very good choice of single. You want your single to give people a reason to buy your album, and it is by no means single-worthy, although not a bad song, just not their best material.

Next comes the AC/DC style rock song of 'With a Woman'. This is one of my favorite tracks on the album by a long shot. Its followed by some solid rock songs in 'living each day blind (the acoustic/rock ballad that only the darkness can pull off) everybody have a good time and shes just a girl eddie which fill the middle of the album nicely.

Nearing the end of the album, we're left with Forbidden Love which sounds like it should be featured at the end of a soppy teenage lovey dovey movie, Love is not the answer which is a a typical darkness style song, while its solid, it isn't anything special. Then comes Concrete, a fun rock song (of course, its about love) it keeps the tone of the album nicely.

Lastly we have Street Spirit, the come home song of the album. Its got the heaviest riff on the album and definitely gets the foot tapping! Its definitely a nice way to end the album.

Over all, I felt the album achieved a successful comeback into the ever changing music industry. It was in no means as good as their old stuff, but it isn't a bad album. Its not one you'd listen to over and over, but its one you wont regret hearing. I definitely suggest all who are fans of the bands old stuff to check it out and rejoice in their reunion!

Rating: 6/10

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs