News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Proposition

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, October 18, 2009, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

On my continuous conquest of western movies, I decided to give an Aussie film a go.

Now I know what you are all thinking, and as an Australian, I think it too.

QuoteAustralian films are dull and have horrible camera angles!

That is so true!

But when I came across 'The Proposition' written by none other then famous musician Nick Cave; I decided to give it a try

Plot: A lawman apprehends a notorious outlaw and gives him 9 days to kill his older brother, or else they'll execute his younger brother.

As you can see, there are some relativity famous faces in the film such as Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone, who lets face it; both have been interested in risky movie ventures. Examples of this include Winstone's animated portrayal of Beowolf and Pearce's award winning role in 'Momento'.
Now, back to the movie!!!

The Proposition gives us a very graphic and confronting view of the Australian outback.

"This movie is a visceral, violent study of blood-ties exploring ethnic and family bonds, feuds, loyalty and betrayal. You can literally smell the reeking sweat, blood and dust of the colonial Outback coming off the screen.

Nick Cave's script is shot through with his signature dark poetry; it translates wonderfully onto the screen. Guy Pearce, Ray Winston and Danny Huston put in powerful performances. Emily Watson is also superb but somehow this film seems to be more about men than women and so her performance feels a little isolated from the rest of the movie.

The film is a strangely skewed morality tale crossed with a tale of the absurd. There is something so absurd about Captain Stanley's English breakfast and standard roses in the hot, fly-blown wastelands of the movie, and off course there is something so absurd about how violent humans beings are to each other. Despite all the violence though, some of which is stomach-turning, this movie has some moments of great tenderness and elegy. "

I believe the above statement best describes the movie, although for me, it had some great classic western aspects such as a smaller dialogue then a western such as 'Tombstone' (as did all classic westerns) and portrayed the dark and disturbing side of the wild west.

All together i give this movie a True Blue Australian movie high  8/10

Comments?

Regards,

Jordan Danger Merrick

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Tim-Æ

I remember watching this a long time ago, when it first hit DVD. I dig Guy Pearce, Nick Cave is the shit, and Ray Winstone is a badass. But something about this movie just escapes me, I remember watching it and all but I can't even remember if it was good or not. That's never a good sign, but I'll give it a second chance.

! JDM The Professional !

Im glad you are going to give it another shot. It is well worth it.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Conor

I saw this on DVD a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It was grimy, violent and seemed like a realistic portrayal of the times. I always get a bit annoyed when I hear Nick Cave wrote the script in three weeks, because it's a bloody good script. Talented sod.

Also, I wouldn't say Australian films are dull. Australian cinema has as many highs and lows as any other country. After all, Australia has been responsible for great films like Walkabout, Mad Max, Strictly Ballroom, Shine, Wolf Creek and numerous others.

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Conor on October 19, 2009, 11:39:48 AM
I saw this on DVD a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It was grimy, violent and seemed like a realistic portrayal of the times. I always get a bit annoyed when I hear Nick Cave wrote the script in three weeks, because it's a bloody good script. Talented sod.

Also, I wouldn't say Australian films are dull. Australian cinema has as many highs and lows as any other country. After all, Australia has been responsible for great films like Walkabout, Mad Max, Strictly Ballroom, Shine, Wolf Creek and numerous others.

I did like the listed films :D

You make a valid point my friend

Regards,

JDM

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs