News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Oscar Nominations 2010

Started by Duckman, February 02, 2010, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Now that it won people will find some fault in it just to go against the grain.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Exile

loved hurt locker, dunno if it was the best film of the year after seeing the prophet from france and ajima from iran, but id take it over avatar hands down. Honestly the only movie that upset me about its inclusion was the blind side which was a good but not great film, much like sandra bullocks performance; good, not great. Certainly not better than carey mulligan and gaborey sidibe.

Conor

The Hurt Locker as Best Film I can accept, though I would have preferred to see Up win. Of the films listed, it was the most deserving in my view.

But beating Inglourious Basterds for Best Original Screenplay was just wrong. That movie featured some of the best set-pieces and scenes put to film last year.

Jeff Bridges deserved his award; haven't seen The Blind Side so can't talk about Bullock. Would have loved to see Sam Rockwell's performance in Moon get some recognition.

Exile

i loved moon and inglorious should have won best screenplay hands down. agreed

Tim-Æ

Hurt Locker is a great film, not the best picture though, and neither was Avatar.

Inglourious Basterds was robbed. bottom line. the best picture race became more about Bigelow vs. Cameron, indie vs. mainstream, man vs. woman, instead of...Best Picture. Strip them all down and the only movies worthy of Best Picture (imo) were Up in the Air and Inglourious Basterds. They entertained. They had great acting (with nominations) and great stories (with nominations). Hurt Locker had those, but has not been a big hit with the masses as far as entertainment.

Excaligore

Quote from: Timoteo Centavos on March 09, 2010, 10:20:07 PM
Hurt Locker is a great film, not the best picture though, and neither was Avatar.

Inglourious Basterds was robbed. bottom line. the best picture race became more about Bigelow vs. Cameron, indie vs. mainstream, man vs. woman, instead of...Best Picture. Strip them all down and the only movies worthy of Best Picture (imo) were Up in the Air and Inglourious Basterds. They entertained. They had great acting (with nominations) and great stories (with nominations). Hurt Locker had those, but has not been a big hit with the masses as far as entertainment.

Remember also, Inglorious Basterds has a very tongue-in-cheek sarcasm to it that doesn't appeal to the Academy types as much, I don't think(Which doesn't appeal to their senses in the same way as things that are purely serious and intense).

At least, from looking at the original list I knew they wouldn't pick it just off of that. Even if Pulp Fiction was somewhat the same, that wasn't dealing with issues of Nazism and war so I could see how they would be more accepting of how Pulp Fiction mixed it in as sort of an artistic representation of camp unlike Basterds.