News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

DiBiase vs. Cedrone - The Last VWF Match

Started by Snap, April 30, 2018, 04:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snap

While the results of the last Birthday Bash for the VWF were never completed or posted (which seems appropriate, considering Scott's first official match in the VWF, also against Jonny Cedrone, was never posted), Triple B had asked me if I would write the final match in the Scott DiBiase and Jonny Cedrone story. I had originally written the match with an ending for both DiBiase and Cedrone, but the VWF boards have been crashed for a long time and I no longer have access to the PMs with those old drafts of the match. As such, I only have the following version which CT had revealed to be the intended outcome during the brief VCW vs. VWF story he had attempted a few years ago.

I had always felt that writing commentary was my weakest area and, in previous matches I had written, had usually received help in that department from Jonny Cedrone. The commentary in the match I had written as placeholder material, but Jonny had given it the thumbs up without any revisions. There are some bits of commentary which I really do like and some which I feel could have been stronger. It could be a bit saccharine at times, but this was the Sting/Flair moment for VWF, so getting a little purple with the prose seemed acceptable.

===

All of the lights in the arena go out except for the spotlights focusing on the steel hell, hanging from the ceiling of the arena. The camera is positioned, pointing towards the heavens as the monster that is the Hell in a Cell, is descending towards the ring. The fans in attendance are filled with excitement for they know the exceptional showing of athleticism and wrestling skills that's about to happen in that ring

JOEY STYLES: This has to be the epitome of the term, "bittersweet" as we are all extremely happy and excited to see the match that's about to happen, but at the same time, we know that it's the final show, the final match...ever...for the Viking Wrestling Federation. Ultimately P, I don't think there's a more fitting way for the Viking Wrestling Federation to go out, than with a match between two of the greatest wrestlers, two of the biggest names, the Viking Wrestling Federation has ever had.

P. LICKIN: Yeah, even I can't deny how much Scott DiBiase and Jonny Cedrone have meant and still mean to the VWF in the past 7 years. Both men have represented this company with undying and unconditional loyalty like few people ever have before them. As much as I want to sit here and bash these two guys...

JOEY STYLES: Well...while P tries to grasp onto the fact that he actually has a heart...and the Cell is being set around the ring, let's talk a little bit about this final match. Jonny Cedrone came to the Viking Wrestling Federation in late 2007, Scott DiBiase came in, at the tail end of 2008, but as soon as Scott made his presence known at the Royal Rumble in 2009, there was some kind of instantaneous chemistry, an instantaneous rivalry developed between these two great athletes. They've been mortal enemies, they've been best of friends, they've been respectful opponents, they've been tag team champions, and they were inducted into the VWF Hall of Fame in the same class! Almost quite literally, their stories and their history have been parallel since Scott DiBiase came into the Viking Wrestling Federation. From his inception to their induction into the Hall of Fame, it has been a while since the Viking Wrestling Federation has had two faces, two representatives of the company that took great pride in representing the Viking Wrestling Federation. It's a rivalry like this, it's sportsmanship like these two have, it's the pride that these two have in their work, in this company, it's the in-ring ability that these two men have, and it's the passion for this great sport of professional wrestling that these two men exhibit each and every time they step into that ring, that has helped make the Viking Wrestling Federation into the greatest company there has ever been in this industry!

TINA PETERSON: Our final contest is a Hell in a Cell match, scheduled for one fall, and it is for the World Heavyweight championship!

The fans are all abuzz with excitement as James Hetfield's vocals cry out "'Cause what don't kill ya, make ya more strong!" and the opening riffs of "Broken, Beat & Scarred" bring every last fan to their feet as a spotlight focuses at the top of the ramp where, for the first time in nearly a year, Jonny Cedrone is standing.

JOEY STYLES: March 11, 2013 was the last time we saw Jonny Cedrone compete in a VWF ring.

P. LICKIN: What bliss that time has been, Styles! And leave it to Cedrone to be gone for so long and come back and fight for the World Championship! Self-centered much?!

JOEY STYLES: Welcome back P!

Cedrone stands at the top of the stage, looking out at the crowd with a smile on his face and. after a moment, he walks down the ramp, getting more and more pumped up as he goes along, slapping some outstretched hands along the way. He reaches the ring steps and once more, as he reaches the top, he looks out at the crowd who are now at a fever pitch. He walks along the apron, wipes his feet and hops over the top rope into the ring. Once inside he ascends each turnbuckle, yelling something inaudible, playing to the crowd, throwing his fists up into the air then pointing out to the crowd.

JOEY STYLES: This is the moment we've all be waiting for!

P. LICKIN: Speak for yourself! Crimson Lightening was in the very first VWF match, he should be competing in the last ever match not these two glory hogs! I can't believe we're wasting our last match ever on these two clowns.

The lights go out and are replaced red and white spotlights as "Crawling in the Dark" by Hoobastank begins to play over the sound system. Illuminated by a red maple leaf-shaped spotlight and with the World Heavyweight championship strapped securely around his waist, Scott walks out onto the stage, accompanied by Anthony Hillerman.

JOEY STYLES: Conspicuous by their absence, Mr. Sandoval and Saul Layman have stepped aside to allow Anthony Hillerman to accompany Scott in his final VWF bout.

P. LICKIN: I'm calling it right now... the butler did it!

Scott climbs up the ring steps and Anthony holds open the top and middle ropes for the champion to enter the ring. Scott climbs the turnbuckle facing the camera and hold his arms up, giving the fans in attendance a good look at the World Heavyweight championship belt. With a slight smile, he nods and mouths "Thank-you" to the crowd before he jumps down from the turnbuckle and approaches Cedrone in the center of the ring.

TINA PETERSON: Introducing first, the challenger... from Las Vegas, Nevada... weighing in at two hundred and forty pounds... he is the "King of Sexy" Jonny Cedrone!

The crowd welcomes Cedrone back to a VWF ring with a huge pop and a "Welcome back!" chant.

TINA PETERSON: His opponent... from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada... accompanied by Anthony Hillerman... weighing in at two hundred and forty-eight pounds... he is YOUR VWF WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION... Scott DiBiase!

DiBiase unfastens the World championship belt from around his waist and hands it over to referee Mark Lewison.

JOEY STYLES: The champion pulled some strings to get his choice for the official in this match.

P. LICKIN: Even at the end DiBiase is looking to take the easy way out! I wouldn't be surprised if that guy was on the take.

JOEY STYLES: Mark Lewison officiated Scott DiBiase's first match in the Virtual Wrestling Federation fifteen years ago and the champion felt it was only appropriate for him to officiate his final match in the Viking Wrestling Federation.

P. LICKIN: I still smell a rat!

JOEY STYLES: In that case you might want to think about changing your cologne.

The bell rings and DiBiase and Cedrone approach each other in the center of the ring. Cedrone extends his hand for a handshake, which DiBiase accepts and then they lock up. The two evenly matched competitors power one another into the ropes until DiBiase gets Cedrone into the corner and attempts to get the advantage while referee Mark Lewison struggles his way between the two and separates them. Once again, DiBiase and Cedrone lock up in the center of the ring, but Cedrone connects with a knee to the midsection, doubling the World Heavyweight champion over and Cedrone executes a picture perfect belly-to-back takedown, bringing DiBiase to the mat.

JOEY STYLES: Jonny Cedrone is in top form after a nearly year long layoff. Not one sign of ring rust.

P. LICKIN: Easy there, Styles! He just took DiBiase to the mat, it's not like he actually won the World title with that move.

DiBiase spins around and grabs Cedrone from behind, but the challenger is quick to get to the ropes while Lewison administers the count, forcing DiBiase to release his grip. Both men are back to the feet and DiBiase applies an arm bar, which Cedrone reverses and pulls DiBiase back down to the mat. DiBiase gets back to his feet with a nip-up and executes another arm bar on Cedrone before delivering several stiff shots to the inside of his elbow, this time dropping Cedrone to the mat but the champion continues his assault on the challenger's arm, dropping his knee to the inside of his elbow. DiBiase adds additional pressure with a hammerlock. Cedrone fights his way back to his feet while DiBiase adds pressure to the arm bar. Cedrone backs DiBiase into the ropes and uses the momentum to free himself while Irish whipping the champion to the opposite side of the ring, before dropping to the mat as DiBiase rebounds off the ropes and leap frogging over the champion on a second rebound before taking him down after a third rebound with a drop toe hold.

JOEY STYLES: The champ goes down once again.

P. LICKIN: That's funny, your mom goes down like a champ and there's a lot of leapfrogging going on as well.

Cedrone applies a side facelock, but DiBiase reverses with a hammerlock and drives a knee into Cedrone's shoulder. Lewison is in position and asking Cedrone if he wants to give up but the challenger is emphatic that there's still a lot of fight left in him. Cedrone fights his way to one knee and finally to his feet but DiBiase continues to add pressure to the hammerlock and Cedrone reaches for the ropes but DiBiase pulls him back. Cedrone reverses and traps the champion into a hammerlock but DiBiase runs forward and drops to his knee, the momentum sending Cedrone through the middle rope to the floor.

JOEY STYLES: DiBiase finds himself a little breathing room!

P. LICKIN: I could have used some breathing room last night with your mom. She's a beast!

Cedrone makes his way onto the apron, where DiBiase uses the ropes to springboard the challenger back into the ring. DiBiase quickly re-applies the arm bar while keeping Cedrone grounded but the challenger forces himself to his feet and Irish whips the champion into the ropes and attempts to deliver a bodyslam on the rebound, but DiBiase uses his momentum to land behind Cedrone and drives him into the ropes, but Cedrone holds on and DiBiase falls backwards but quickly gets back to his feet and, as Cedrone turns around, DiBiase takes him down with a three handled credenza, hooking a leg as he makes the cover.

P. LICKIN: Wait! Was that what I think it was?

JOEY STYLES: Indeed it was, P! The champion looking to finish things off quickly by using Cedrone's own move against him!

P. LICKIN: Didn't we see something like this before, and didn't it backfire?

Lewison makes the count but Cedrone kicks out at the count of two, sending DiBiase through the ropes and to the floor in the process. DiBiase gets back onto the apron and delivers a shoulder block to Cedrone's midsection before he can attempt to assist him into the ring. DiBiase springboards over the top rope and executes a sunset flip and manages to pull Cedrone to the mat but the challenger instantly kicks out of the pin attempt even before Lewison can make the count. DiBiase re-establishes control with an arm drag takedown and applies pressure to the elbow.

JOEY STYLES: A calculated and methodical attack on the arm by the champion. It will be especially difficult for Jonny to apply his patented submission with the use of only one arm.

P. LICKIN: I see what you did there, Styles. Cedrone can't apply the One Arm Bandit with only one arm? Oh, the irony.

Cedrone forces both men back to their feet and breaks the hold with a stiff right to the champion's jaw. Cedrone delivers another blow for good measure which leaves the champion reeling against the ropes and Cedrone delivers an elbow to the back of his head. DiBiase reverses an Irish whip and Cedrone reverses a hip toss while the champion ducks a clothesline before taking the challenger down with a clothesline of his own. DiBiase pulls Cedrone back to his feet and the challenger Irish whips the champion into the ropes, but DiBiase takes Cedrone to the mat with a shoulder block off the rebound. DiBiase runs off the rope and Cedrone leap frogs him on the rebound and catches DiBiase on his way back, but DiBiase's momentum takes Jonny off balance and he drops the champion neck first into the top rope. DiBiase falls to the mat and grabs his throat while Jonny looks on with a hint of concern before he pulls DiBiase back to his feet.

P. LICKIN: Don't be an idiot, Cedrone! The title's on the line, choke the life out of him!

JOEY STYLES: Are you... are you actually rooting for Jonny Cedrone?

P. LICKIN: What?! I feel so dirty!

JOEY STYLES: That's exactly what my mom said after a night with you!

P. LICKIN: Touché.

Cedrone attempts to drive DiBiase's head into the turnbuckle, but DiBiase blocks it with his foot and delivers a few stiff shots to Cedrone's face. Cedrone pushes DiBiase into the corner and Irish whips him towards the opposite corner, but DiBiase reverses it and rushes to deliver a shoulder block but Cedrone moves at the last moment and DiBiase eats the steel ringpost. Cedrone pulls DiBiase to his feet and drives him right back down to the mat with a single arm DDT and follows up with a knee across the throat. DiBiase tries to pull himself up via the turnbuckles and Cedrone help him up before Irish whipping him hard into the opposite corner. DiBiase falls flat on his back and Cedrone makes the cover, hooking a leg. 1... 2... KICKOUT!

JOEY STYLES: DiBiase's back must be killing him from that impact!

P. LICKIN: Dammit, Styles! You really are a mark! Can't you see DiBiase is just wearing out Cedrone so he can attack when the time is right?

JOEY STYLES: Aren't you forgetting the respect these two men have for one another?

P. LICKIN: Right, right, 'respect.' You're gonna make me sick!

Cedrone continues his assault, applying a side headlock and using his weight to force DiBiase onto his side. Lewison is on the mat checking on DiBiase, but the champion isn't willing to give up the match. Cedrone wrenches back and DiBiase tries to escape the hold with a kickout but Cedrone holds on. DiBiase fights his way to his feet, but Cedrone holds the headlock as the champion delivers several elbows to the midsection to break the hold and rebounds off the ropes only to eat a picture perfect dropkick from the challenger. Cedrone pulls DiBiase to his feet and promptly takes him down with a backbreaker before making the pin. 1... 2... KICKOUT!

P. LICKIN: I think I heard a vertebrae or two crack from that one.

JOEY STYLES: The World championship means so much to both of these competitors, P. Pain is temporary, whereas glory lasts a lifetime.

P. LICKIN: If DiBiase takes too much more of that kind of punishment, his pain will be anything but temporary.

DiBiase fights his way back to his feet and rebounds off the ropes, Cedrone misses a clothesline and anticipates a back body drop, but DiBiase catches him and delivers a swinging neckbreaker. Cedrone is first to his feet and delivers a blow to the side of DiBiase's head. Refusing to allow the champion time to regroup, Cedrone lays his boots into DiBiase's head before pulling him up to his feet and locking in a front facelock, using his weight a leverage to keep the champion prone on the mat. DiBiase fights his way back to his feet and drives Cedrone into the corner, breaking the hold. DiBiase delivers a series of shoulder blocks before Irish whipping Cedrone to the opposite corner, but Cedrone reverses and rushes forward while DiBiase lifts his legs and hits Cedrone square in the jaw. Taking advantage of Cedrone's dazed condition, DiBiase grabs his head and drives him down with a bulldog. DiBiase climbs to the middle turnbuckle and drops and elbow, but Cedrone rolls out of the way and crawls over to cover the champion.

P. LICKIN: Kick out, Scott!

1... 2... KICKOUT!

P. LICKIN: YES!

Cedrone pulls DiBiase back to his feet and throws him across the ring, meeting him on the rebound with a flying elbow and locks DiBiase into a front facelock. Lewison checks the arm to see if the champion is still responsive and it drops once. Lewison raises the arm a second time and it drops again. Lewison raises the arm for the third and final time but DiBiase manages to keep it from dropping to the mat and fights his way to his feet before trapping Cedrone in an inside cradle. 1... 2... KICKOUT!

JOEY STYLES: DiBiase surprising Cedrone, but it wasn't enough to get the job done.

P. LICKIN: Where's that damn tranquilizer gun when you need it?

Cedrone picks DiBiase up off the mat and hits him across the face, forcing him into the corner, then whips him to the opposite side of the ring. Cedrone gives chase, but DiBiase leaps back over the challenger and takes him down with a with a belly-to-back side suplex and both men struggle to recover enough to gain the advantage. Both men make it to their feet and DiBiase applies a side headlock, but Cedrone pushes him into the ropes and leapfrogs over DiBiase on the rebound bef9re attempting a Thesz Press, but DiBiase catches him and slingshots him into the corner. Cedrone's head bounces off the ring post and he falls back to the middle of the ring.

P. LICKIN: What a worthless move on DiBiase's part! There's nothing in Cedrone's head to begin with.

JOEY STYLES: Jonny Cedrone may have suffered a concussion, P. What a terrible way to end such a great career.

P. LICKIN: I take it back! That was a stroke of genius!

JOEY STYLES: ...

P. LICKIN: Too soon?

Both men struggle to get to their feet but DiBiase makes it up first, whipping Cedrone into the corner and delivering stiff blows to his midsection. DiBiase throws Cedrone hard into the opposite corner and the challenger is left prone atop the top turnbuckle, where DiBiase delivers a kick to the midsection which knocks Cedrone off balance and he crotches himself on the top rope. DiBiase can't help but wince as Cedrone slumps to the mat in pain but, with his championship on the line, he presses the attack, pulling the challenger to his feet and whipping him into the ropes, delivering a back body drop on the rebound. DiBiase makes the cover, hooking a leg. 1... 2... THR-KICKOUT!

P. LICKIN: No, no, no! Just stay down!

JOEY STYLES: Jonny Cedrone has the heart of a champion! He won't quit until he's used up every last ounce of fight he's got!

P. LICKIN: Come on, DiBiase! Just imagine this is the Royal Rumble!

DiBiase pulls Cedrone to his feet and drops him with a backbreaker before ascending the middle turnbuckle and driving an elbow into the challenger. DiBiase makes the cover and Lewison makes the count before Jonny gets his shoulder up after a two count. DiBiase picks Cedrone up and places him on the top turnbuckle, before following him up and delivering a superplex from the top rope, but it took as much out of the champion as it did the challenger with DiBiase unable to capitalize. Lewison begins a slow count, and by the count of six DiBiase manages to turn himself over and drape an arm over Cedrone . 1... 2... KICKOUT!

JOEY STYLES: What a match, P!

P. LICKIN: I don't want this match to end.

JOEY STYLES: Neither do I, P. Neither do I.

Both men struggle to get to their feet and Cedrone swings with a roundhouse but DiBiase avoids it and applies the MILLION DOLLAR DREAM! Cedrone, in a desperate attempt to break the hold, backs DiBiase into the corner but, in the process, takes out referee Mark Lewison as well. Lewison managed to hold onto the ropes and while DiBiase went to check on him, Cedrone attempted to kick DiBiase in the midsection, but DiBiase caught Cedrone's foot in time and spun him around, but as the champion attempted to deliver a suplex, Cedrone shifted his weight to land behind DiBiase but the champion slipped behind the challenger and grabbed his midsection and Cedrone ran forward and dropped to the mat, using the momentum to send DiBiase through the middle rope and to the floor.

JOEY STYLES: This match is living up to its name, those two are putting each other through hell!

P. LICKIN: But they've failed to take advantage of the cell itself! Their faces should be looking like ground beef by now!

JOEY STYLES: Not necessarily P!

Cedrone slips out of the ring, pulls DiBiase to his feet and pushes him backwards into the ringpost and then bodyslams DiBiase onto the thin mat covering the arena floor. DiBiase writhes in pain as Cedrone pulls him to his feet and throws him back into the ring. Back in the ring himself, Cedrone senses victory and pulls the champion to his feet, whipping him hard into the corner. DiBiase slumps to the mat and Cedrone makes the cover, hooking a leg. 1... 2... THR-KICKOUT!

JOEY STYLES: DiBiase is acting on instinct at this point.

P. LICKIN: What the hell has happened to his killer instinct, Styles? He had Cedrone right where he wanted him and now look at him! I can't believe we're going to have Jonny Cedrone as our final World Heavyweight champion.

JOEY STYLES: If there's one thing you should have learned this past year, P., it's to never count DiBiase out. He went bell to bell in the Royal Rumble to earn his shot to compete for the championship at Bloodlust and took Tornado Kid to the limit to reclaim the belt! Instinct or not, there's still fight left in Scott DiBiase.

Cedrone pulls DiBiase to his feet and whips him into the rope, delivering a back body drop on the rebound. DiBiase slowly pulls himself to his feet and walks right into a superkick courtesy of the challenger. Cedrone, however, can only hold onto the ropes for support to regain his bearings. With his fourth World Heavyweight championship in sight, Cedrone pulls DiBiase to his feet and looks to be setting up for the One Armed Bandit, but DiBiase delivers an elbow to Cedrone's face and swung with a roundhouse but the challenger ducked and took the champion down with a side suplex. Not wasting any more time, Cedrone made the cover. 1... 2... THR-KICKOUT!

JOEY STYLES: The champion had the One Arm Bandit well scouted!

P. LICKIN: But he swung wide and nearly lost it all to a side suplex of all things!

Frustration beginning to seep in, Cedrone argues with Lewison that it was a count of three, slumping against the top rope and shaking his head in disappointment. Cedrone pulls DiBiase back to his feet and whips him against the rope, but DiBiase drives an elbow into Cedrone's face, which sends the challenger into the ropes. DiBiase runs forward with a high knee but Cedrone moves out of the way and the champion catches himself up in the ropes and bounces out into the middle of the ring. Cedrone climbs the turnbuckle and waits for DiBiase to make it back to his feet before leaping off with a missile dropkick, but DiBiase catches Cedrone's legs and drives him into the mat.

JOEY STYLES: That may just be the mistake DiBiase was looking for! I think this is it! DiBiase is looking to end things with the Maple Leaf!

P. LICKIN: Our land of peace, where proudly flies, the Maple Leaf Forever!

DiBiase attempts to lock in the Maple Leaf, but Cedrone fights with his strong legs and kicks the champion away. Cedrone attempts to nip up back to his feet, but his knee buckles and DiBiase takes advantage to whip Cedrone into the corner. DiBiase grabs onto Cedrone's arm and climbs up to the top rope, pulling the challenger up with him. DiBiase bends Cedrone over to place his head between his knees and then hooks both of the challenger's arms before leaping forward and planting Cedrone's face to the mat with the PEPSI PLUNGE! Exhausted, DiBiase rolls Cedrone over and covers while hooking both legs as Lewison drops to the mat. ".1 ..2 ...3!!!"

The bell rings. DiBiase helps Cedrone to his feet and the two friends embrace in the center of the ring, celebrating the end of a long and storied rivalry.

TINA PETERSON: The winner of the match... and STILL... Your VWF WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION... SCOTT DiBIASE!