News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Supporting teams from your country...

Started by Dorling, March 06, 2013, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorling

This might be a one maybe more for the British based guys but I had a debate with a fellow Arsenal fan on facebook last night (a friendly one) after he put up a status saying something similar:

'Come on everyone, Man U are an English team! Don't be bitter Liverpool and Arsenal fans, support English teams in Europe! Nationality surely comes first?'

I disagreed.

I'm an Arsenal and England fan. To me, the one thing worse than watching Arsenal lose everything would be watching Man U, Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea etc winning everything. There's no way I'd want one of the other English teams to win the Champions League if Arsenal don't. I have no loyalty to them, and the whole 'English' thing isn't really accurate anyway, since none of the clubs listed, including my own, are owned by Englishmen or play mostly English players.

So my question is this? Where do you guys stand? Do you support other English clubs in Continental competitions?

(The only time I ever did was when Chelsea won the Champs League, because I knew if they did it would mean Spurs wouldn't qualify.)

Rob

Nope I don't watch European football at all, unless its Spurs as my Dad is a fan and I liked to see them win. But generally I couldn't care less. Man Utd were on last night and I didn't pay any attention to what was happening because Palace were also playing last night, and we won 4-2. I guess Man Utd lost because of all the news stories about Nani getting an unfair red? I don't even know who's still in Europe and who's knocked out?

The only other team I can see myself supporting is Whyteleafe FC because I was born and lived 500 yards from the ground.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Jennifer

Quote from: Dorling on March 06, 2013, 06:51:44 AM

(The only time I ever did was when Chelsea won the Champs League, because I knew if they did it would mean Spurs wouldn't qualify.)

Hate you.  >:(

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Dorling

Jennifer

You gots three guesses, and you got it in one. :P

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Jerry McClean

For me it depends on what teams are playing for who I support.

I certainly don't follow a "support the English teams" philosophy although I think even teams I don't like I'd like to get through the group stages to show the strength of the Premier League before wanting teams to knock them out.

Then again none of the teams participating are direct rivals like they are for you.

Kirk

I like to see English teams do well in Europe as long as they are not Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Everton or Liverpool. I enjoyed watching Spurs when they were in the Champions' league and I'll be cheering them in when they get back in next season. I'm a Utd fan, so obviously I support them every year.

" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Drama Queen

When someone puts on a club shirt, they are doing it because they get paid, it's their job. The club itself is a business. There really is no nationalistic loyalty required as far as I can see. When they put on their country's shirt it's a different matter.

Flins.

I'm in a similar boat to Rob in that I support a team that has not got anywhere near competing in Europe lately, so in terms of club loyalty it does leave open to just enjoying the football played in the champions league & premier league. I tend to lean towards Man United as I enjoy the football the play and I like the way the club is run for it's size. I'm thoroughly enjoying Spur's rise this reason, and the possibility of them overtaking Arsenal is something I'm excited about. Chelsea and Man City are hard to like due to the kind of conveyor belt management the clubs seem to have, where buying an array of new players or bringing in a new manager is seen as the cure to any problems they're having. United, Arsenal, and Spurs all tend to splash the cash as well, but they seem to put a lot more into the development of their own players and what not. Liverpool is probably the only team I would not want to see succeed, purely because I know way too many 'pool fans and all of them are intolerable when it comes to talking football.

TL:DR - I support a club in the lower leagues, so anything bigger, I just enjoy the football. And I'm currently wanting Dortmund t win the champs league, so yeah, nationalism is a load of bollocks imo. And like Dorling said, there are hardly any English players in these teams anyway and if they are, some of them are just there to meet requirements.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I wish nothing but horrendous times on any team outside Manchester United.

I dont classify myself as an avid United fan anymore, mostly because I have found myself less likely to attend a game over recent seasons and even less likely to watch it on TV. I have actually really gone off of football and thats mostly down to the ridiculous nature of wages, backstage tabloids and what I consider a less entertaining game these days.

I am in stark contrast heavily invested into wrestling, American Football and Basketball once more. The later two because its sports I consider a level playing field can happen over time with salary caps and drafting systems.

All this being said I do go and watch lower league football sometimes and have a box for a game in April I bought for one of my stag dos. I am doing this because one thing me, my mates and Dad can agree on is watching some lower league football can be a really good time even if you dont care really who wins.

'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Adam Wrong

I tend to back British teams in England and wish them well. A lot of guys supported Fulham during our Europa campaign and I will even back Chelsea to go far.