Canadian Schools remove Ball from Soccer

Started by jagilki, September 05, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagilki

QuoteWith the growing concern over the effects of competition in youth sports programs this summer, many Canadian soccer associations eliminated the concept of keeping score. The Soccer Association of Midlake, Ontario, however, has taken this idea one step further, and have completely removed the ball from all youth soccer games and practices.

According to Association spokesperson, Helen Dabney-Coyle, "By removing the ball, it's absolutely impossible to say 'this team won' and 'this team lost' or 'this child is better at soccer than that child.'"

"We want our children to grow up learning that sport is not about competition, rather it's about using your imagination. If you imagine you're good at soccer, then, you are."

This summer Peter Oldring spent time with the Midlake Thundercats, an under 11 boys and girls team, and put together this radio documentary.

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2013/09/03/to-ensure-every-child-wins-ontario-athletic-association-removes-ball-from-soccer/

jagilki

EBWOP

damn fell for it.  Saw it wasn't onion, thought it might be real.

It's Satire, per the Washington post.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jerry McClean

Drama Queen

In fairness, the fact that they said it was in Canada made it somewhat believable. Oh, hi Cory, didn't see you there, ooops! :P

Cory

Quote from: Drama Queen on September 06, 2013, 12:25:48 PM
In fairness, the fact that they said it was in Canada made it somewhat believable. Oh, hi Cory, didn't see you there, ooops! :P

Wouldn't surprise me, we've ruined Football and television, Soccer is probably getting there.

Kirk

The whole concept of not keeping score is ridiculous anyway. The kids know who won and lost at the end. It's alright to tell them that the score isn't important, but if they are old enough to play football they are old enough to count to the sort of numbers you get in a football match. If you lose 9-0, you're going to realise that you got your arse kicked and feel pretty bad whether the coach tells you the score or not. What's wrong with competition anyway? How are kids supposed to improve and develop if they are always told they they are wonderful, not matter how terribly they played? I'm not saying that they should be given the hair dryer treatment if they do badly, but there's no benefit to them if you just pretend that they are great all the time.

As for the article, I bet some schools have read that and think it's actually a great idea.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Cory

Not keeping score is just liberals trying to make everything Switzerland in every aspect of life.