Eduardo diving ban overturned by UEFA.

Started by Duckman, September 14, 2009, 03:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

From BBC Sport:

Uefa has overturned its decision to ban Arsenal striker Eduardo for two Champions League games for diving.

The Croatia international was suspended after being found guilty of diving to win a penalty in the Champions League qualifier against Celtic on 26 August.

But on Monday, Uefa accepted Arsenal's appeal and he will now be eligible to play in their opening two Group H ties.

"I'm very pleased that we have finally arrived at the truth," said Eduardo in a statement on the Arsenal website.

"All we needed to do was to prove what happened and we have managed to do that. This decision makes me feel a lot better.

"I just want to say that I am a fair player. To score goals you must take your opportunities and I'm not the type of player who needs to be dishonest to score goals."

Arsenal also welcomed Uefa's decision.

"We were able to show there was contact between the keeper and Eduardo and that the decision should be annulled," a Gunners statement said.

"We fully support the drive for fair play in football and believe it is important that Uefa provides clear and comprehensive standards that will be consistently enforced going forward.

"We are glad to put this incident behind us and concentrate on the games ahead."

Arsenal had called the initial decision by Uefa "deeply flawed".

And the decision to charge and then ban Eduardo provoked a strong response from Gunners manager Arsene Wenger who claimed any action against the Croatian would set a dangerous precedent with tens of similar incidents every week in European football.

A Uefa statement on Monday said: "Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to our satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty."

Diving has been the subject of much debate since the Eduardo incident with Wayne Rooney also coming under the spotlight following two penalty decisions that went in his favour, first playing for Manchester United against Arsenal and then for England in the friendly against Slovenia.

Celtic winger Aiden McGeady was also sent off after he was shown a second yellow card for an alleged dive in Celtic's 1-0 win over Hibernian which occurred only days after the Eduardo furore.

Arsenal begin their Champions League group stage campaign with a trip to the Maurice Dufrasne Stadium to face Standard on Wednesday and then play at home against Olympiakos on 29 September

Thoughts, opinions?

I'm getting the feeling they realised they opened a massive can of worms with his original ban and are now back tracking like fuck.

Also a lot of the media have been speculating that it only went this far because the 2nd in command of UEFA used to be the head of the Scottish FA and as Celtic were involved he had undue influence over the decision and ban.

He is a diving little shite, but then so are the vast majority of top footballers, especially in places like Italy and Spain where they'd run out of players if they banned everyone for diving!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Kenfucius

Which, for me, just means they should ban everyone for diving. Only way to get it out of the game is to be fucking hard on it.

And, yes, I know I'm saying that as a Celtic fan, but you know, I personally couldn't have given a fuck either way to an extent, we were well beaten regardless over those two matches.

The point wasn't punishing Eduardo because he fucked over Celtic, he DIDN'T, because they were fucked from the start, the point was always, in my mind, someone actually stepping up and saying "these people make millions every year at this level, for that money, they should be able to stay on their feet, and we should be able to take action against them if they don't"

UEFA made a mockery of it, and to be honest, if that incident had happened with a player from some team like Debrecen, the ban would have been upheld, they shat themselves because Arsenal are a big draw for them financially.