News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Most Marky Moments.

Started by BamBamBunglow, November 26, 2015, 06:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamBamBunglow

Ok, so most of us have become jaded, bitter or cynical about wrestling. So, lets try and get some positivity going about this weird and wonderful sport, remind ourselves why we still watch it.

So, lets start out - what moments in wrestling did you mark out of? not just matches, but segments, interviews, whatever. What moments were you SO into it, you forgot it was all scripted and thought this shit was real?

For me, the one that instantly springs to mind is the Dumpster ride with Funk/Foley. I was... 13, maybe? and well aware wrestlin' was scripted. But I can clearly remember watching that show, the lead in interviews, the match itself - which was decent. Then out came the outlaws, and SHIT GOT REAL. Everything was so well done. Sunny crying her eyes out. The Outlaws looking like "Shit... maybe we DID go too far", the Headbangers and Ken Shamrock swinging for the Road Dogg, Terry Funk yelling "My neck, my damned neck!". It honestly felt to me, at the time, like something had gone horribly wrong and they were stopping the show, and I was so caught up in it I bloody well believed it. I sat there watching it all unfold, mouth open in shock. Such a mark... :)

So, c'mon guys, what about you? :)

! JDM The Professional !

Mick Foley has always been my favorite. I met him a few years ago, he's an absolute legend.

For me, it was the 2004 match between Foley and Orton. I was 11, and it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. I never had pay tv or Internet so I never got to see the classic Foley stuff. This match though, blew me away. I was convinced wrestling was real more than ever after watching that. Good memories!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Cory

My first PPV was Unforgiven with the Sable black hand print on the tits + Inferno match between Kane and Taker, also the Taker/Foley HIAC match, but the two mark out moments....

1) Austin storming the ring in the Zamboni during the title ceremony to Kane. Kane was always one of my favourites as a kid and that entire bit was classic. Austin running off the Zamboni and attacking McMahon....

2) Mankind winning the WWE Title on Raw. Shady ass finish with Austin helping him beat the Rock, but Michael Coles best, and maybe only good call ever after the finish. Finally seeing him on top might be my favourite moment of all time.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Drama Queen

Quote from: Cory on November 26, 2015, 06:29:06 PM

2) Mankind winning the WWE Title on Raw. Shady ass finish with Austin helping him beat the Rock, but Michael Coles best, and maybe only good call ever after the finish. Finally seeing him on top might be my favourite moment of all time.

This was one of mine. And I wasn't watching Nitro at the time so Bischoff didn't spoil it for me :-p

I would say one of my biggest mark out moments was Austin/Bret Hart I Quit match at WMXIII.

I had been really getting into Austin and the pre-match video package of everything leading up to that point gave me goosebumps. I normally don't consider the heel to have any chance whatsoever in a submission based match because "not giving up" is a face attribute. Even though the tide was turning as to who actually was the heel and who was the face, it had not been made clear until during this match.

Then Austin's entrance, the actual glass shattering (not just the sound) and the whole not giving a crap attitude has never to this day been played better by anyone.

The match itself was mind-blowing... the hardcore title era had not happened yet, and the fact that the match spilled out into the crowd with Shamrock trying to keep people out of the way was absolutely shocking. But for all that, it was not JUST a brawl either. There were actual wrestling moves thrown in there and the pace and story-telling of the match was just really captivating.

I was getting so excited at the prospect that Austin might just pull this off. And then when he powered out of the sharpshooter with his face covered in blood... an iconic image still to this day.

When Bret applied it a second time, Austin passed out instead of tapping, again, a finish you give when the face loses, not the heel.

And then the wrap up... refusing to be stretchered out, he stuns some innocent bystander (a referee or ambulance guy or something), gives his one finger salute and limps out with the crowd chanting his name.

Everything about it was perfect, and nothing has come close to it since then aside from maybe the Punk leaving with the title climax at MITB.

Alex Smiley

As far as "forgetting the fake" goes, I have but 2 specific moments off the top of my head:

1) Brock Lesnar beating the ever loving bejeezus out of Zach Gowen. When he F5'd Gowen into the steel post (twice!), I just about lost my cool.

And I'm sure anyone else listening to MFX long enough can agree with me...

2) That interview Duckman and Stu did with Rockstar Spud for Indy Corner when it was part of the MFX podcast. True that things took a turn in that partnership, but I still can't get over that moment because I spent weeks (possibly months) thinking "holy crap, Spud is a dick" LOL

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

The TeeJ of Philly

For me, it was the Punk MITB moment. I remember seeing Punk early in the indies when he finally came east. I was in the fifth grade and watched him grow. Loved going to shows with my uncles. So watching this guy who I watched in the old ECW arena and other buildings local, watching him wrestle and not knowing if he had resigned or not it was great to watch what I thought his final match could be

The entire event was great and it helped lead to the main event and then the ending with Punk walking out and blowing the kiss to Vince it's probably my biggest mark moment.

BamBamBunglow

Quote from: Alex Smiley on November 26, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
2) That interview Duckman and Stu did with Rockstar Spud for Indy Corner when it was part of the MFX podcast. True that things took a turn in that partnership, but I still can't get over that moment because I spent weeks (possibly months) thinking "holy crap, Spud is a dick" LOL

"You're meant to be profesisonal journalists! this interview is over!"
".. Is he gone? Fucking hell..."

Fucking great :)

OK, one more, not Foley related -  though the amount of times he's mentioned says alot about his selling ability :)

Survivor Series 1994, Hart Vs. Backlund. 10 year old BamBam watching it (it was still real to me, damnit!) and the whole finish - Hart in the chickenwing, Bulldog knocked out, Owen Hart pleading with his mom to throw in the towel - I was almost in tears! Then afterwards Owen playing the shitty heel "I tricked you!" card, INSTANT HATRED!