News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Epic Fails

Started by The Murph, July 19, 2008, 12:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Murph

I figured seeing how The Wizard was brought up in the movies thread and the Power Glove was mentioned, we would talk about the biggest fails ever in gaming (or electronic) history.

Virtual Boy - Great concept. Horrible presentation. And why the fuck is there only 2 god damn colors.

Sega CD - A nother great concept. Definitely revolutionized how gaming would end up being. Odds are it would have headed this way eventually but this system definitely helped to show people the wrong way to do this so we would learn in the future. It wasn't that it was a bad system. Sonic CD was a great game, and it did have a few other wonders. The problem was all the live action scenes. Sadly this was a sign of Sega slowly going down the tubes. And within the next 10 years they became just another game making company and stayed out of the console wars.

Nintendo's decision to scrap their deal with Sony - Seriously the worst idea Nintendo ever had. Just imagine where every one would be right now. Would the Dreamcast have made it without the Playstation around. Would the Nintendo CD have been as good as they had hoped. Would Microsoft have bothered entering the gaming wars. You can see just how much this decision affected the gaming industry.

Zombie Gunn

The Sega Channel.  Subscribe to a channel where you can play games on your sega, not even sure how it worked or how it was even possible with the technology of the time.  But... it sure did last a while, didn't it.

Bryan

ugh...that's my brothers new catchphrase. i bet he got it from xbox live.

anyway, yeah...virtual boy blew because everything was red and you'd get like cancer or something if you played too long, lol. sega cd was a great concept, but it flopped because sega released 303030 other perpherials at the time, watering it down. used right though it could have extended the life (and popularity) of the genesis.

i remember the sega channel growing up...i thought that was so, SO cool. too bad i never got a chance to see or buy something off it.

Excaligore

Two Words: Sega Saturn

Judge

PSP

Yeah, I went there.

The Murph

As what seems to be the only person who played the Sega Channel, it actually didn't suck balls. They had a limited number of games, and my friend only got it for a few months but it wasn't overly bad. It just wasn't released in enough places to make an impact. I think it did help pave the way for XBox Live and the like though.

Another huge epic fail had to be the initial Playstation 3 launch. Combining the price, limited availability, and few games released was a horrible idea in the long run. It still hasn't managed to come back yet. Hopefully they learn their mistakes from Sega and don't let this get to them and they can rebound.

Oh and the PSP isn't an epic fail. UMD discs are lol. Who really wants to watch a movie on like a 3 or 4 inch screen.

Dave Johnson

PSP's are actually really awesome, except for the first game you buy.

I remember, I got a PSP I bought for Christmas, bought NBA Live 08, opened it up, had no clue you were not supposed to open up the thing, thats why It took half an hour, so I got the mini disk out and put it in the PSP only to find it wasn't working, so I called my mate and he called me fucking retarded :(

So yeah UMD disks are a bitch.

Sega in other words are a major Epic Fail.

Black Death

I had the Sega Channel ...it was actually pretty good over 50 games a month for a small fee and they were game I like to play...prototype for what would become internet gaming .  They ran a cable to a hook up from the back of the cable box to back of your machine.  I enjoy it for a time then the PS1 can out and I wanted that system and gave up the Sega channel. 

Sega Dreamcast.
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

The Murph

I gotta disagree with the Sega Dreamcast epic fail. They had good games, and it was a great system. The problem with it was people had given up on Sega after everything after the Genesis came out. I mean would you risk the money to buy a system after the previous ones had been the Game Gear, the Saturn, 32X, and a couple of other systems.

Another one to add to this would actually be Sega's Nomad system. Yet another great idea by Sega down the tubes. A carry along Sega Genesis. How could it fail. Easily if the battery life is shit, and it was heavier then some portable dvd players. Also the price tag was quite a bit high. If it had of been lighter, better battery life, and cost about $100 it would have been great.

Black Death

people like to say that about the dreamcast... problem there were only a hand full of good game  and rest were crap.  it controllers would break down after while,  and PS2 was the nail in the coffin,  bad marketing and like you gamer confindence sealed it fate

Neo Geo - Powerful system - cost alot to get and it hurt it, parents did not want to shell out the big bucks for it
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Judge

JaceGryphon

Judge

Wii's kicking 360 and PS3 ass in sales.  That's hardly Epic Fail.

Kenfucius

Hrm...

Final Fantasy XI. Going after the online market was a bad idea, especially with a huge name and franchise getting tagged onto a first attempt, thus increasing expectations beyond anything they could conceivably achieve.

N64 Rumble Paks. We all take the vibrate for granted these days... But for the first incarnation of the species that I know of to be a relatively expensive add-on that required separate batteries (which, to my recollection, really didn't last long) was a bad thing.

(side note, I actually managed to get one through a magazine that operated through the console power. When I traded the N64 in for a PS1 later, the store gave me more for it than I'd paid, because they'd never seen it before)

Judge

Before WoW, FFXI had the largest subscription base of a game, about 2 million.

It's the largest MMO being played in Japan.  Current base is about 750 thousand subscribers, I think, which is nothing to sneeze at.