Teaming with other people (why you may not want to)

Started by Jon Tees, March 30, 2009, 10:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Tees

There has been debate for a while about whether or not to form a tag team or some kind of alliance with other handlers, or to simply create your own team/alliance with characters you create and handle yourself. Obviously working with someone else can allow a fresh prospective and can be a lot more fun, however, there are some people who can’t be trusted, they no show, fail to carry their share of the load or simply leave people who depend on them high and dry. Personally for me the experience has never been good, I’ve been left sucking high tit many a time and rping single handedly against two-three people while people I was supposed to be teaming with never even bothered to post a damn thing. And these were people I knew from past experiences and thought I could trust.

Don't Fall For Cheap Imitations And Knock Offs We Are The National Wrestling Federation Period.
http://www.thenationalwrestlingfederation.com

James Onlee

A.  Join a fed that doesn't have flakes.

B.  Join a fed that goes with best rp wins and take the belts yourself if your partner flakes.

Kenfucius

Personal opinion.

Single handler tag teams = just not cool.

As far as I'm concerned, the idea of a team is to do the work in collabaration with another person. Tag team matches and tag teams themselves should be considered both an entirely different skill-set and have an entirely different criteria for roleplay judging.

Working and collabarating with another handler, how well the two characters mesh with each other IC, how well you can link their motivations together as a solitary entity.

In a word, teamwork, as the whole thing implies.

Anyone can come up with two characters, and if they put enough time and energy into it, they can find a common gorund on their own for those two, because said person has complete creative control over said characters' history, background, attitudes, and so on.

Doesn't make them a team. It just means that, unless they go to extraordinary lengths to incorporate their opposition in what they do with their selling and RP quality (see Marc's Project Nova as a perfect example of how to pull off the tag team/one handler philospohy correctly), all the handler of the duo is doing is playing with himself.

To be honest, I don't want to see people masturbate and call the load they blow a tag team RP.

jayjames

I have to disagree with you Ken. :(

I understand what you're saying, but I see nothing wrong with one person creating a solid tag team. As someone who has experienced quite a good number of failed tag teams, due to a bunch of silly reasons, I think I'd go the solo route if I ever had a desire to form a tag team. It's less of a hassle and as you already pointed out, you'd have complete control over both characters.

But I dunno, maybe I'm just a control freak.

Excaligore

I have to disagree with Kenny too. I mean, I get what he's saying and all but, if it weren't for the single run team of "Project Nova" then the TFWF tag division would be dead. Single run teams are infinitely more reliable than teams with two people. Because, a lot of times, people don't have chemistry and sometimes the teams they try don't work.

Personally,  I think people should work with other people as much as they can. Not only in teams but work with their opponents to build better feuds. An entire fed is team work. A good fed has staff and an owner who work together, and with the roster, as a team to pull of the best storylines and feuds in e-fedding. Bottom line, I think teamwork is vital in this game and if it weren't for that teamwork and interaction it just wouldn't be fun.

Non Compos Mentis

I personally dont like Single Handler teams.

I speak from the perspective of being a three time tag champ (combined from 2 feds) and every time teaming with another handler.

Two weeks ago i won my third Tag Title alongside a guy who i'v never actually talked to properly. Although with that said we only won them as a team because we were in a battle royal and it was the last two standing that won the titles. So that's probably not the best example of dual-handler teams.

My other two teams i'v known and talked ooc alot and known them well enough to have a good understanding. With only one handler you get only one viewpoint in rp's and segs and only one influence. With two, especially if they know each other, you can get different styles and different ideas that can improve your team greatly.

Pure Class Wrestling
PCW Head Of Creative Development
PCW North American Champion (x3)
PCW Tag Team Champion (x1 w/ Ace Anderson)

Marq

As a handler for a tag team, I dunno, here's my take on it:

Folks, if you wanna see a good tag team division, you need PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE IN TAG TEAMS -- not people who can't hang in singles divisions, or people who want an easy win because of a lack of competition. I adore tag wrestling, and I'd rather be a single handler with one team than look around in a fed for a partner where people aren't taking that opportunity to do something great.

I've down traditional teams with other people, and I control the Novas. I go into it in detail in my "How to Create a Tag Team" article on the guides forum, but BOTH ways of going about it have pro's and cons.

"The problem with going it alone and handling both people is once you come to a good tag team that has two handlers you will get buried.  Even if looking at it from an "RP Quality" stand point, you have two people coming up with "Quality RP's" to one."

Nah, I don't buy it. Especially in a fed where "best RP wins" is the policy. Adapt or die, y'know?
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Adam Wrong

I've been in tag teams in the past and found myself havin to chase up the other guy to rp. Considering i've been in feds as tag champion on 2 occasions only one of those was really successful as i went through 2 partners with the bad one. With the good one, a crackin rper whose name is evadin me we had a story to go with the reign where he was damaged etc. Fuck i can't remember his name, Kirsta and a few others may know

Alex Smiley

The general notion of Legion's Unreliable Tag Partners nearly deserves its own wing in the TFWF Hall of Shame.

The main man in there, ironically, was a good partner before. Things just didn't work out for him later on. As far as teaming in general goes, I think either can work as long as the RPs and angles are done.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.