News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

E-Fed Development Advice Requested

Started by lwpd, February 02, 2010, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwpd

Guys

I'm hoping I can get some feedback. We are planning to launch a new online version of our game soon. To promote it internally (with our board members) we want to develop an E-Fed. I have theories as to how I would 'like for it to work' but I'm sure you guys (who have much more experience with this medium) can give me a heads up on some of the problems/issues that pop up when actually running this type of thing in the real world.

Below is the structure as planned. Any advice/warnings/suggested improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Legends Online Wrestling Fed Theoretical Structure

* Roster of 60 wrestlers

* Spots assigned randomly with a 'core' number of spots matching the number of people who sign up. Any remainder would be swing talent that is booked strategically and sporadically in house

* Players who want creative control over a specific wrestler can buy the rights from other players by transferring points. They can also buy 'swing talent' from the house at set point prices

* Cards run weekly along with a monthly PPV (results determined instantaneously by a system Play by Play Simulator)

* Each participant scores 'points' for the following:

i. 50 points for submitting a role play (ie. promo, vignette, segment, etc) representing their wrestler for each weekly card

ii. 50 points for submitting a creative idea for development of the overall Fed structure (any unused ideas would be archived for possible future use)

iii. 100 points for being chosen as the 'guest booker' for a given month's PPV (to be eligible the participants submit a proposed line up/structure/angles...the results are always executed internally)

* There would be a scoring system that is made transparent with a leaderboard that shows how many points each roleplayer has

* Each week these points can be 'bet' on the outcomes of the matches on the card (win/loss double or nothing)

* There would be a 'Creative Influence Market' where players could use points to purchase the rights to implement specific booking strategies (ie. buy a tournament, create a title) and effectively shape the history of the overall Fed is it evolves

* There would be a roll over of which wrestler on the roster each player has control over on a monthly basis

* Each quarter the point leader gets a prize

That's how it would work 'in theory'...but in practice I'm sure there are things I'm not seeing.

What advice can you guys provide as to what is it to be expected when running an E-Fed? What 'been there saw that' piece of advice can you offer so my learning curve is made quicker? Any possible improvements to the structure?

Any advice/warning suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MMAfanatic

My advice is don't do it. Efedding at it's simplist is something that takes a large amount of time and dedication. By going for more "advancement" so to speak, you're looking at an even larger portion of time spent.

And don't use the simulator for results. The "reward" of the RPers is to be able to have something worthwhile to read at the end of the week. Simulators suck.

Hondo

My honest advice would be to speak to a current fedhead or someone with fedhead experience, set a plan based on what would be feasible and what wouldn't. You have fresh and innovative ideas, let one of the many current or former fed bookers help you meld it into reality.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Duckman

I guess the first thing I would do is decide what kind of fed you're going to run.  The ideas at the moment seem like a mix between RP and Angle based and I don't see that kind of fed working.  In fact looking at the structure closely it's probably not what I would class as an efed.

Also given the set up you guys are working on the time you'll spend on adminstration alone will be huge - especially if you get a lot of sign ups.

Is this more of a fantasy booker fed than an actual efed where the match outcomes are based on the quality of the role play?

No doubt there's something there to work from but it needs honing before launching.  Is there anything the guides that might help?

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

lwpd

I appreciate the honest input guys.

Quote from: X-Quack on February 02, 2010, 05:26:08 PMIs this more of a fantasy booker fed than an actual efed where the match outcomes are based on the quality of the role play?

You hit the nail on the head. The audience we have connects more with the idea of booking a promotion as a whole rather than role playing a particular wrestler. Activity in terms of producing a promo or vignette isn't an end in itself and the RPs wouldn't be judged qualitatively. The RPs would be for the purpose of accumulating a rote number of points that could then be bet on the matches to gain even more points. So our players would be more focused on getting to a point where they could effect the larger process of the Fed as opposed to trying to develop the career of any given wrestler they are assigned (these are real life wrestlers like Rob Van Dam, Bryan Danielson, Road Warriors, Andre The Giant).

The end game for each player would be to gain influence and control over the creative direction of the Fed as a whole. In that sense the role plays are more of a means toward the end of using collective game theory (ie. using points to acquire influence and then combining those points with others to form a voting block that influences how titles are defended, what specialty matches are introduced, etc.).

I guess its a square peg in a round hole type of approach compared to how most of the E-Fed incentives work.

Triple B

Sounds more like an Angle or Match Writing fed versus a Roleplaying fed.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.