News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Started by ., June 01, 2010, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

My roleplays get their own 15 minute vignette on the 24/7 wrestling channel.

Joey WARPED

I've been in feds where members wrote roleplays set in 'house shows' - but I don't understand how they do that when the fed has NO house shows scheduled. These shows do not exist for them to cut their promos. Some even went as far as to include commentary talking, but why would there be commentary, pyro, etc on a house show? And how do the world wide  fans not at the event see your thoughts? No bueno.

Additionally, there's some people who like to roleplay and pretend the fed has a 24/7 TV Channel devoted to their promos/roleplays that everyone can see. I've had that in my fed in the past, and if its, eh... kinda believable, especially if you make it a satellite premium channel or something that's just THAT FED all the time and if if the fed has big bucks anyway.. it'd work.

What I prefer is the idea of Online Video promos. The promos/roleplays you cut will be viewable online for the fans and your opponents. This is more realistic as opposed to hosting a promo at a house show that doesn't exist or a highly expensive TV station too..

So, I prefer the youtube type vids..that'd be up on the fed's site and such.

Exile

ive done a couple different things, ive done house shows, mostly that is for the crowd effect and putting over a fued that way i think is particularly effective.

I'm pretty cognizant of having camera guys around me and noting that everything is being filmed.

Ive had Exile do promo's backstage, and ive had him go through the feds website to do a streaming online promo through a webcam.

I always assume that its available online to the masses that want to see everything. Ill have exile be sent promos on DVD from opponents that way he is able to keep up what others are doing and ive had him watch others on the computer so that is what I have always gone with.

Its just an extra tool to keep the fans interested from a new media.

Jennifer

Quote from: Joey HEADSTRONG on June 01, 2010, 12:53:58 PM
I've been in feds where members wrote roleplays set in 'house shows' - but I don't understand how they do that when the fed has NO house shows scheduled. These shows do not exist for them to cut their promos. Some even went as far as to include commentary talking, but why would there be commentary, pyro, etc on a house show? And how do the world wide  fans not at the event see your thoughts? No bueno.

That strikes me as overly pedantic. Okay commentary and pyro being used is a bit of a flag, but saying somebody shouldn't use house shows in their RPs because the fed doesn't officially schedule them is just nitpicking. So what if there isn't something on the boards saying 'Yeah there are two house shows this week, they're in such a such a place on this date and that date'? Particularly when you're looking at 'global' federations that have events up and down the country and go on tours, the fact is that they're more than likely going to hold house shows, it's just that this isn't explicitely spelled out the majority of the time because why should it need to be? It's not like people are expected to RP for them.

Besides which... how else is somebody supposed to do a promo in front of a live crowd?

To answer the question though, what Lemke said.

QuoteI always assume that its available online to the masses that want to see everything.

^ That. Generally I feel anything significantly important will be up on the web. Especially since my RPs tend to be aimed AT opponents - e.g. they want to address them directly as opposed to telling the fans what they feel about this match with whoever.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Hondo

Honestly, I think we're putting a little too much thought into this. When I'm reading (or conversely, writing) an RP, the last thing on my mind is when the actual promo/story/interpretive dance takes place. It doesn't change the body of work whether its present day, three days ago or fifteen minutes into the future.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: JackHondo on June 01, 2010, 01:17:37 PM
Honestly, I think we're putting a little too much thought into this. When I'm reading (or conversely, writing) an RP, the last thing on my mind is when the actual promo/story/interpretive dance takes place. It doesn't change the body of work whether its present day, three days ago or fifteen minutes into the future.

This^

Regards,

JDM

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Joey WARPED

Quote from: Speedy on June 01, 2010, 01:08:53 PM
That strikes me as overly pedantic. Okay commentary and pyro being used is a bit of a flag, but saying somebody shouldn't use house shows in their RPs because the fed doesn't officially schedule them is just nitpicking. So what if there isn't something on the boards saying 'Yeah there are two house shows this week, they're in such a such a place on this date and that date'? Particularly when you're looking at 'global' federations that have events up and down the country and go on tours, the fact is that they're more than likely going to hold house shows, it's just that this isn't explicitely spelled out the majority of the time because why should it need to be? It's not like people are expected to RP for them.

Besides which... how else is somebody supposed to do a promo in front of a live crowd?

But when you have guys cutting roleplays in arenas in front of a live crowd at a House Show that does not actually exist, it can get hectic. Say you have 2 different guys post RPs like this, on the same day, and they both specify that the fed is in a different city? One is in Cleveland, the other Atlanta... that's not realistic, either. Plus, in a world where we're all about keeping things original and creative, how creative is a roleplay to go out in front of a crowd and cut a promo? You could do just as much without the arena.

How else is somebody to do a promo in front of a live crowd? That's what Results are for!

Duckman

House show tour in the town/city during run up to the weekly show - works for me and is logical for the TFWF which is a global juggernaught of a promotion.

E WRESTLING is the name of the game.  Cutting promos in front of a live crowd is part of wrestling and so part of efedding.

It's pretencious as hell to say otherwise and also to talk down the creativity of someone who does in-ring promos is snobbery of the highest order.

Not impressed.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jennifer

So what if they do? It's not exactly like it'll have earth shattering ramifications. Besides which, who says you have to specify where this show is taking place? All that needs to be known is that there's an arena which has fans in it, not where and not how it needs to fit into the strenuous schedule of the federation...

Also, just because something isn't 'zomg groundbreaking' doesn't mean that it's either uncreative or not a good piece of writing. In fact RPs that try to push the envelope are often inferior to the ones that operate off the basics purely because they're trying to be too out there and original. Neither is intrinsically worse.

Quote from: Joey HEADSTRONG on June 01, 2010, 01:28:17 PM
How else is somebody to do a promo in front of a live crowd? That's what Results are for!

Missing the point. Some of the best promos are only good because they're out there in front of a crowd. Some people are very good at 'playing off' a crowd and working their reactions into the RP. Removing that element of interaction often makes it less engaging. I'd take a promo 'in front of' fans over somebody sat in front of a camera (or heck, without any scene set at all) 9 out of 10 times. You can't do the former as an RPer, in the results...

Edit: Thank you Duckman. Exactly.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: Joey HEADSTRONG on June 01, 2010, 01:28:17 PM
But when you have guys cutting roleplays in arenas in front of a live crowd at a House Show that does not actually exist, it can get hectic. Say you have 2 different guys post RPs like this, on the same day, and they both specify that the fed is in a different city? One is in Cleveland, the other Atlanta... that's not realistic, either. Plus, in a world where we're all about keeping things original and creative, how creative is a roleplay to go out in front of a crowd and cut a promo? You could do just as much without the arena.

One thing uWe has done since we begun, is had a featured city for our weekly show.

This week it's 'Rapture in Seattle'

We use it as a guideline for our events. As simple as that :)

That way it avoids people saying the events are in a wrong place etc. If someone does make a mistake, we are pretty easy going in letting them know of it before deadline so they can fix it up.

Shouldn't be taken as seriously as others seem to think it is.

Regards,

JDM

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Sgt. Josh Underpants

My rp's used to be either shot in the backstage locker room area or at the home of my person.  I than started kind of letting it go more towards having my Manager follow me around with a camera.  Now I don't even bother with either.  My promos are all blog based, I'm trying to give mine more of the recent promos wrestler have done like the Twitter war between Miz and Jericho or the blogs the WWE Universe gives to their wrestlers.
Shank â€" Action Josh Madrid does towards anyone making a racial slur towards latinos on the SB, his main target is usually Midas.
You Are Game Will Evolve
Quote from: Judge Reinhold on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
This dude is the most cracker looking beaner you\'ll ever meet.

Russ

For Scorpio I've set up a weekly documentary called S-FacTV which I sold as being posted on the TFWF website (the kayfabe one a la wwe.com) and so Scorpio can cut promos anyplace, anytime and it makes sense as he's followed by a camera? Clever little fuck ain't I? :P

In-ring promos I tend to do during 'house shows' (which as far as location goes Headstrong, just pick the location as being the same location as the live show -- easy!) and sometimes do backstage stuff at house shows... either way, it's a medium to get a promo out there.

Key places:
. Posted on fed's kayfabe website
. House show
. Youtube - nothing wrong if your fed is 'indy' in kayfabe to have your guy post a promo on youtube
. Fan access stuff... EVERY fed has autograph sessions and meet and greets!
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Exile

if i do house shows its generally in a smaller venue in a smaller city close to where the show is. IE if a show is in cleveland, theres a house show in Akron. If the show is in atlanta, theres a house show in gainesville. Either that or sometimes ill look where others put thiers and ill match it up that way.

jagilki

Savage Youth RPs take place when and where he wants them to, and there is nothing you can do about it.