News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Started by ., June 01, 2010, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

Does anybody else research local areas arounf where a show is supposed to be, looking for things that could be relevant?

I'll look up the hotel my wrestler will stay out, find out how close it is to the arena/airport other landmarks.

I try and make it so that if somebody from that area reads the roleplay, it will sound accurate and homey.

Exile

Duckman

I do that for major PPVs.  If there's a major landmark etc I might base some of the RP there or cut the promo with it as the backdrop.  Might also use something from the area to use a theme in my promo. 

I don't really do that for weekly shows though.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Joey WARPED

I am not saying that its the worst thing ever and that it lacks all creativity in the world to do in-ring roleplays. I've done it! That was back in the day when I was just getting into eWrestling too. Now, I just think that unless a fed lists / advertises a house show then there should be no make believe show for you to go host your roleplay in.

As far as having to name a city/location, I didn't say you had to.. but was giving a scenario in which things could get messy.

I think if a fed specifies that there is going to be a house show in Place A and on This Day that could be a designated spot for in-ring roleplays to be cut, then that's the thing to do.

I'm with JDM on this in that its NOT that serious. All I'm saying is... its unrealistic. And before someone comes at me with saying 'this is e-Wrestling... and realism isn't a factor' .. I'll say that I've always viewed eWrestling as a depiction of what we'd actually be paying to go see live, or watch on TV, or view a DVD of... its stuff that could legitimately happen and be explained. That's my viewpoint on all of this, so maybe that'll clear up my viewpoint on the house Show RPs..

If you want to play to the crowd, go to another venue... a Concert, Book Signing, Open Mic Night at a Comedy Club, etc...

Joey WARPED

Quote from: Zombie Gunn: The Sequel on June 01, 2010, 02:20:25 PM
Does anybody else research local areas arounf where a show is supposed to be, looking for things that could be relevant?

I'll look up the hotel my wrestler will stay out, find out how close it is to the arena/airport other landmarks.

I try and make it so that if somebody from that area reads the roleplay, it will sound accurate and homey.

Definitely. In fact, as of just last week I was reading a roleplay that had a lot of specifics in it and looked them up to find that this person had put in that extra bit of time to look these things up. It made me smile.

Duckman

Quote from: Joey HEADSTRONG on June 01, 2010, 02:55:32 PM
If you want to play to the crowd, go to another venue... a Concert, Book Signing, Open Mic Night at a Comedy Club, etc...

So you're a musician, an author and a stand up comic?  What about being a wrestler, in a wrestling ring, cutting a promo to wrestling fans?

Sorry man, I really don't understand your POV on this one.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Joey WARPED

Then ya save that stuff for the actual shows. That's my point of view... Unless a live house show is listed, then that show does NOT exist, so why are you there? Why are you saying the fed is paying money for an event that just isn't actually happening? That's all I'm saying.

And no, you don't have to be a musician, author, or stand up comic to crash those places. What about a radio station, even? Do an interview, have callers call up and trash you, talk shit to them, etc... Same as if you were at a local show or something, and you could've struck a deal with the promoter to go on and promote your next event. An open Mic night is open to anyone to go up there and do their thing.. hell, you could hijack the mic and get the crowd riled up before getting tossed out. Easy.

That all ties into promoting the fed's upcoming event (that actually exists) as well.

Excaligore

Somewhere relevant. Which could be anywhere, considering the character and his or her mindset.

Jennifer

Right so now apparently because people disagree with you about the promo, they're just getting into e-wrestling? I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted that but that's the implication your post has given me.

Quote from: Joey HEADSTRONG on June 01, 2010, 03:23:37 PM
Then ya save that stuff for the actual shows. That's my point of view... Unless a live house show is listed, then that show does NOT exist, so why are you there? Why are you saying the fed is paying money for an event that just isn't actually happening? That's all I'm saying.

But you CAN'T save the in-ring stuff for the actual shows because you can't write an RP assuming that it's happening on the show! You're practically saying it's a segment that's happened on the results but isn't IN the results. That doesn't make any sense!

I'm going to fall back on the 'it's not real' argument here. The actual weekly show itself isn't 'really' happening, therefore saying that your wrestler is appearing at a house show is using your artistic liscence and is an acceptable break from 'reality'. I mean seriously, do you need your hand held so much that your fedhead has to tell you whether or not you can use a house show to cut a promo?

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Exile

see but im confused, i understand that your fed is an indy up and coming fed with your fed wide angle. So that might make a little more sense but TFWF and a lot of those places are WWE/TNA level feds. Both of those places do house shows. At the house shows, wrestlers do cut promos. So it really is in the realm of possiblity, maybe just not in your fed.

I think its small minded to say that in ring work is almost less than because i have seen some brilliant promos and stuff I would hold up to the best story rps. And i hate to be THIS guy but 80% of the story rps that i read are shit. Someone died, someone needs avenged, poor pitiful me, Im a badass, my wife doesnt love me. Its all just as worn territory as an in ring promo and can be 10 times more unoriginal.

Zombie Gunn

I haven't done an inring promo in years, simply because I myself was bored of them. I don't care what anybody else does.

Sally Screw

Let me chime in here on this...

First off, my role-plays have no set time. Also, they are are not written to cater to the fans in anyway, after all, I'm role-playing for my fed, not the fans. An example of this would be when I write about cutting a promo, then the director cuts recording and I resume my role as a pro-wrestler. What occurs before and after the recording is part of my character development and what I write as 'on-camera" promo work both make up my entire roleplay.

Secondly, on the matter of in-ring promos...
      I have been to a few Indy shows, and tons of WWE/WWF events. During these events there have been many a times when the audience was told that they would be recording various shows at once, be it a TV show, promotional segment, or just part of the live program. All three elements were mixed before the same live crowd. Thus, it is very possible to have in-ring promos that refer to future events and matches, occurring at the same time as a televised show.,even without the existence of house shows. Wrestling companies know how to use resources when they have them, and having a live audience as backdrop is a very valuable one indeed. So, having peeps come to the ring to shot the shit, even if it's not part of the current show is quite common in the "REAL" world of wrestling. So those in-ring promos that "seem' to occur without any house show, still is valid and has a place in e-fedding, regardless of the presence of house shows or not. They happen all the time, and like Sasquatch, just because you do see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Matthew Patterson

Posting a promo on YouTube is what I aim for while I'm writing it up, but I never actually mention it in the roleplay itself. I guess I don't really think about it.

Recommend that you get to the fedhead to see what type of things the fed has because if you are in one of those indy feds, you don't want to be cutting a promo where there's no house show or where there's no IC website. Your fed should have an alternative, that is, if it's a decent one.

Adam Wrong

My rps are varied. I go for the house show rps and try to give the whole picture ie being prepped beforehand, having my manager be I can't et all the way through it without swearing and then going out there but then I do an out of the ring thing in a bar etc. Then I myself have utilised created television shows to conduct an interview ie Wrestleview hosted by Geoff Capes on sky sports 3 or as Insomnia in SCW created WTDSB - Wrestling That Doesn't Suck Balls hosted by Tim Vincent.

Ryan Ruckus

Very early in R2's career, I took the cheap(?) solution out of this conundrum, by making him wealthy enough (or famous enough) to have a 24/7 documentarian. (Not unlike HST or various other media celebrities.) So anytime, anywhere, we're recording. Given this reality, the possibilities are endless. Ask Scorpio. :)

As far as distribution? Internet, baby. Once again, anytime, anywhere. Fed doesn't want to post them on the website? Fine. Ruck's got his own website. Fed doesn't have house shows scheduled? Fine. Rent a space and offer tickets.

There are very few (if any) questions in this game which can't be answered with: Your lack of creativity is your only limitation.