News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by ., June 01, 2010, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Funny story... I never did RP based fedding until the RKI tourny I entered a couple of years ago.

Before that I was in a match-writing fed where promos were optional and only added to the hype but had no impact on the results. Therefore promos were always match and opponent oriented and we could tag our opponents to come in and interupt or interact with our characters etc... a lot of fun.

Point I'm making though is that I always assumed that what happened in promos was part of a show and had to be available to the fans. (we even sent in requests to the booker for what part of the show we wanted our promos aired)

It was not until I reached the final of the RKI and Hondo, my opponent posted an RP that was a dream about the tourny in which the A-Team appeared and his next post was all internal dialogue. They were both awesome but I was like... "wait...you can DO that?"....lol. I had never imagined RPs could be so varied in method up to that point! (but I soon learned and put together a nice run in RKW where I don't think I used a similar style two consecutive weeks :) )

Tim-Æ

Jesus Christ do people actually worry about this stuff? I've never been that concerned with the time of my RPs. I like them to be consistent and make sense but as far as putting so many restrictions on an RP that just can't be fun.

Most of the complaints in this thread are dumb. Just fucking RP.

Joey WARPED

Quote from: Speedy on June 01, 2010, 03:47:43 PM
Right so now apparently because people disagree with you about the promo, they're just getting into e-wrestling? I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted that but that's the implication your post has given me.

But you CAN'T save the in-ring stuff for the actual shows because you can't write an RP assuming that it's happening on the show! You're practically saying it's a segment that's happened on the results but isn't IN the results. That doesn't make any sense!

I'm going to fall back on the 'it's not real' argument here. The actual weekly show itself isn't 'really' happening, therefore saying that your wrestler is appearing at a house show is using your artistic liscence and is an acceptable break from 'reality'. I mean seriously, do you need your hand held so much that your fedhead has to tell you whether or not you can use a house show to cut a promo?

I in no way meant that since people disagree with me about the promo that they're just getting into eWrestling... nope..

Why can't you save the in-ring stuff for the actual show? How long did you plan on making that in-ring roleplay? Is that the arguement, that you couldn't make it as long for the in-card rather than in the roleplay? Because I just don't know how long you plan on talking in front of a live crowd...

The weekly show is 'really' happening in all of our worlds though. We fabricate a world of wrestling shows and titles and characters but once we've done that, its REAL in our world, and its actually happening. Maybe I'm not being clear on this but I'm trying... we form a world... and we exist in the world as we formed it...

Its as if a God created us all as we are now... yet one of us suddenly starts flying around by flapping our arms. That's not something that's supposed to be happening because it wasn't in the cards.

Its like you're reading a book that you've read time and time again. You know how it reads. You know what happens. Yet, this time you read it, someone has torn out the final chapter and put in their own stuff to change how the story is told. That's not how its meant to be!

All of that is what I'm saying when I go on about an efed being your view of reality.. it becomes such. It becomes the land.. it becomes the familiar book.. and you posting an in-ring roleplay at an event that is clearly not happening is like me starting to fly with my arms or your favorite story being changed because someone ripped the pages out and put in a sticky note of a different ending.

Look, all I ever said was that it was weird to have an in-ring roleplay at an event that doesn't exist. I'm not bashing the in-ring roleplays at all.

To what Lemke said: Yeah, my fed is indy based and working our way up, so there would of course never be any house shows for in-ring rps to be done in, as well all of our shows are pretty much that... However before when I ran Headstrong Wrestling, we had specific house show events, but even then, people chose to not do in-ring roleplays and focus more on their day-to-day lives.

Its all good... in... da hood.. yo..

Duckman

I honestly couldn't give two fucks about an ewrestlers day to day life - pointless wank to make someone look like a better writer than they actually are.

Promo writing is a skill.  Describing what a wrestler is having for breakfast to fill space in RP is not.

This game is efedding, not, let's write a character who happens to wrestle.

And I still have no clue what you're talking about with regards to the in-ring house show RPs.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Russ

Quote from: Duckman on June 02, 2010, 09:21:05 AM
I honestly couldn't give two fucks about an ewrestlers day to day life - pointless wank

Now THERE'S an rp!
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Hondo

Quote from: Duckman on June 02, 2010, 09:21:05 AM
I honestly couldn't give two fucks about an ewrestlers day to day life - pointless wank to make someone look like a better writer than they actually are.

Promo writing is a skill.  Describing what a wrestler is having for breakfast to fill space in RP is not.

This game is efedding, not, let's write a character who happens to wrestle.

And I still have no clue what you're talking about with regards to the in-ring house show RPs.

Peace

Duckman

I half agree, half disagree.

Yes, promo writing IS a skill, and to be able to write a GOOD promo is a lot easier said than done.  There's nothing non-creative about it.

However...

I'm not quick to dismiss the storytelling aspect of Rping. In the grand scheme of things, the object of an RP is to entertain, whether we laugh, cry, get mad or whatever. Promos entertain, obviously, since we get the "we're sitting in the crowd and hearing a guy cut a promo on his opponent" aspect of it. But telling a good story is just as entertaining, if not more. Some of the best RPers I've seen have been storytelling RPers, not always having a mic in their hands.

When I was fedhead of RKW, I'd always tell people that there's no wrong way to RP. As long as your RP is entertaining and believable and relevant, that's all I ask for. Form and structure is totally up to you.  It's like telling Picasso that the only way to paint is like Van Gogh. Or telling the Rolling Stones they can only sound like The Beatles. Or telling Russ that pink is only for girls.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Duckman

Oh yeah I get that Hondo, as long as the story is actually being told, that's what I'm getting at.  What story is there in a wrestler at home making a taco?  What story is there in a wrestling going to a concert to see his favourite band? 

That kind of stuff is what annoys me.  It does nothing for the character, the feud they're in or the promotion they're working for.  There's always a place for storytelling and I do it a lot in my RPs. 

What I'm getting at is that writing off the in-ring promo as uncreative is just complete bullshit and quite offensive to the vast majority of people who actually efed and don't just roleplay with a character who happens to wrestle. 

There's much more creativity in coming up with a well structured promo that pushes a story than reading about a wrestler and his wife talking about what colour to paint their livingroom, simply to fill in some character development.

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jose The Law Ramon

Jose Ramon early on must have been on the FBI's list for computer criminals because I used to have his promos streamed into just about every media (Phone, TV, computer... I think even portable music players once). Now I do it wherever my fancy takes me.

I also used to go to places where the fedhead or established guys encouraged the whole aspect of your promos taking place during the show. My problem with those kinds of promos basically boils down to if everyone did it like that, do you KNOW how long a wrestling show it would be live to have everyone coming out to do their own 8-15 min promos? That's why you don't see wrestlers cutting promos all the time on WWE or TNA. Primarily it's the main even guys or the major feud guys. After all, airtime on shows is pretty damn important and you want to air what sells. Now I get what you're trying to say, but I think it's completely unfair to say that house shows shouldn't exist if they aren't advertised. If a wrestler wants to take that route, that's fine with me. If he wants to do a 'dream sequence' that doesn't actually happen, that's fine too. As long as character is selling their upcoming match and/or ongoing feud, wherever they are I'll come up with a believable explanation... as long as it isn't on the moon; after all, that would be just too unbelievable.

Jigsaw

I've always seen promos as being 'exclusive video' on the company website, kind of like WWE does their random little web shows and stuff. I've seen feds that have their promos take place in the arena, one of them it was actually all you were allowed to do and I found that kind of strange. I like being able to set the scene where I like, because a promo no matter if you're directly discussing the match or it's a Character Development needs to tell a story, and sometimes a good scene can add to that story. So I've always seen promos as something the wrestler does to build their match before the show. I know some people like to set their promos in the ring or whatever but when there's no show for the fed that day, the arena isn't going to set the ring up for you to cut your promo. That's always kind of annoyed me.

Conor

When is my RP? Usually a few days before the match. But if the question is how I structure my RPs - I place equal importance on character development and a traditional wrestling promo.

So it's a roleplay of two halves, yet I try to keep them connected. Joel might be eating a meal with his girlfriend or driving down the road towards a venue, but often the most important thing on his mind is his upcoming match. I don't write scenes where he's deciding what colour to paint his kitchen, because who the fuck cares, but if he's painting the kitchen and the topic of next week's show comes up, then there's a reason to write it. I also like to sprinkle bits of information and events that may not be related to wrestling but have a profound impact on the character's emotional and/or mental state, simply because if I wasn't pushing this character and letting him grow I'd be bored with him.

The only thing most IC fans see are the on camera promos. I try my best to differentiate who Bryant is in his day to day life and who he is in front of an audience; I only ever call him "Crazyman" when the camera is rolling. I rarely do in-ring promos because I feel I'm jinxed with them. I honestly can't remember a time I wrote an in-ring promo and won the match I was roleplaying for. So Joel shoots a promo backstage, and that promo might be streamed onto the TFWF website.

But here's the thing - who's to say the TFWF doesn't have TV show where it can broadcast these promos? WWE has its programmes like Superstars, and the TFWF is a WWE-level fed, so maybe it has some kind of highlight show where stuff like this is shown. And if not, there's the TFWF website, which has produced in character statements and podcasts. Honestly, I don't worry too much about it.

What I'm finding hard to understand in this thread, however, is why an in-ring promo at a house show would be frowned upon, just because the house show hasn't been officially announced by a fedhead? If the fed is a huge company in its world, then house shows are a given. And if the fed has a website (and let's not be foolish, in this day and age almost every real life company, regardless of size, has a website) then promos shot at house shows can easily be broadcast there. An indie fed wouldn't have house shows, but then you could always do something where your character comes out an hour before the show officially begins to rile up the audience for their match later that night.

Anyway, it's really not worth worrying about too much.

Joey WARPED

Quote from: Duckman on June 02, 2010, 12:03:46 PM

What I'm getting at is that writing off the in-ring promo as uncreative is just complete bullshit and quite offensive to the vast majority of people who actually efed and don't just roleplay with a character who happens to wrestle.  

First off I agree with you when you said that "This game is efedding, not, let's write a character who happens to wrestle."
Far too many people have their characters like that and it takes away from the actual game when the wrestling is a farrrrrrr second.

However you seem to be taking this to heart far too much.

The basic in-ring roleplay, which is what I'm used to, lacks a lot of the extra creative substance that an out-of-ring roleplay would. You already have every substance created for you - the crowd, the entrance, the surroundings, everything.

Now, if a character takes it a bit further and actually describes the old lady with the mole on her right cheek in the front row who won't stop yelling and yelling at you and what exactly she is saying while trying not to cough up a lung...that's different.

But very few people do that. They simply come out to their music, do their pose, grab a mic, talk their shit, the crowd boos/cheers, they get a reaction from them and react to the crowd, the crowd boos/cheers, talk shit on upcoming match, catch phrase, music plays, they leave. THAT is usually the formula I'm used to seeing with in-ring roleplays... so that's where I come from when I say they aren't the most original or creative thing you could do.

Let's not take this further than it needs to be... but if part of it is my fault for not overly explaining myself, then that is such. So, hopefully now you see.

Let us not forget also that my original main reason for stating anything about in-ring roleplays not happening was because if they don't exist, you shouldn't be able to pretend they do. Remember... human flapping wings and flying... not supposed to happen. If I want to fly, I will get in an airplane. If I want to write an in-ring promo, I'll do it at the next show.
:jointpasssmiley:

Duckman

I'm taking it to heart because you basically talked down what has been the style of RP I enjoy to write and have done for a long time.  Along with a lot of my friends and peers who do the same thing.  You passed it off as lacking creativty and to me it was an extremely arrogant and dismissive comment to make about a lot of talented people's work.  That's what pissed me off.

I can see now that you and I come from very different feds if that's the standard of in-ring RPs you've experienced - which has no doubt slanted your view of how good an in-ring promo can be.

Also your missing the point with the in-ring RPs happening off the main results.

1.  If we use your logic that in-ring promos can only be done on the weekly TV show they would run for 5 hours.

2.  A house show for a large fed can take place in the run up to the TV show in the town/city where the TV show is being filmed.  In a touring company this is even more logical and acceptable, to me.

3.  If you can pretend your ewrestler is a safe cracker, vampire hunter, ex-cop, ex-army, rapper, movie star, dead beat Dad, serial kidnapper, work-a-day everyman, deranged preacher, boy band member or the hundreds of other gimmicks I've seen down the years, you can sure as shit make up a house show event if that's where you want to stage your promo!

Going to have to agree to disagree but I'm still not entirely happy with being called uncreative by someone who can't imagine a house show taking place that isn't arranged by their fed head as an 'offical' event!

Peace

Duckman

Ryan Ruckus

Wait for it...

Fun > Fuss

Joey WARPED

I'm done with this discussion... moving on!

Zombie Gunn