News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

2014-15 NHL Season Thread

Started by Jon, June 27, 2014, 04:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Quote from: Jon on June 27, 2014, 06:44:36 PM
What does a chinup have to do with shooting a puck into a net?

Its called being a professional athlete....if Im using my franchise pick for a dude who cant do a single chinup, it shows that he'll have durability issues, and unless he's the second coming of Pavel Bure and no one will ever be able to catch him hes so fast, hes going to get manhandled in the NHL.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Cory on June 27, 2014, 06:47:37 PM
Its called being a professional athlete....if Im using my franchise pick for a dude who cant do a single chinup, it shows that he'll have durability issues, and unless he's the second coming of Pavel Bure and no one will ever be able to catch him hes so fast, hes going to get manhandled in the NHL.

So you would have passed on KD in the NBA then? I fail to see how pulling your body weight in an upward motion connects to being up to wrist shot a puck, skate, or win a face off. I think wrist flexibility, speed and reaction time are all far more important than a chin up.

I also fail to see the connection between a chin up and durability issues.

Sidebar, I'd love to see chin up at the NFL combine.

The TeeJ of Philly

Also, on the Hartnell move, i like it. We have a younger Hartnell in Simmonds and he's easier to move than Vinny, who can still be moved. Hextall wants younger and Hartnell doesn't fit that. I'd rather him move an older, expensive player than be like Holmgren and lose our young guys because he's got old guys who are making too much because he back loaded their contracts because he's an idiot and doesn't understand what a salary cap is.

Jon

Ekblad goes #1 to the Panthers.

Kid is going to be special.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Jon

Quote from: Cory on June 27, 2014, 06:47:37 PM

You are way off bro. Way off. And pullups are all about form and the kid that couldn't do it doesn't practice them. Pullups have nothing to do with durability... he's going to get manhandled because he can't do chinups? WTF? Pullups are easy if you continuously practice them... its more of a bragging right exercise then anything else. You can work out the same muscles in different exercises. The kid who did none, decided to practice them over the next few weeks after the combine and low and behold... he did some. It's not that hard.

It's not like... man that guy did 50 pullups... he'll be very durable and will neve rget manhandled. Give me a break. It's another pointless exercise they make you do in the combine.

He's still one of the top North American prospects and will be a Top 10 pick... in fact, most likely Top 5.

Jon

Wayne Gretzky said something pretty awesome about it too...

"When I scored 90 goals, I could do 10 situps. When I could do 90 situps, I scored 10 goals."

Sam Bennett just went #4 to Calgary.

Jon

Pittsburgh Penguins traded James Neal to Nashville Predators.

Not sure the full details of the deal yet.

Strike

Quote from: Jon on June 27, 2014, 08:06:34 PM
Pittsburgh Penguins traded James Neal to Nashville Predators.

Not sure the full details of the deal yet.

To clarify this one, it was James Neal to the Predators for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling.

Gravedigger

Quote from: The Soul of Philly on June 27, 2014, 07:14:54 PM
So you would have passed on KD in the NBA then? I fail to see how pulling your body weight in an upward motion connects to being up to wrist shot a puck, skate, or win a face off. I think wrist flexibility, speed and reaction time are all far more important than a chin up.

I also fail to see the connection between a chin up and durability issues.

Sidebar, I'd love to see chin up at the NFL combine.

Same comment about KD could be said when the Celtics drafted Al Jefferson. He could barely bench 100 pounds. Professional trainers will strengthen this kid up like NBA trainers did for KD and Al.

Jon

Gates

If there's one thing to be said about the NHL, the high profile free agents don't wait around to sign...

Miller in Vancouver should be interesting and it seems like they got the big fish to offset the Schneider/Luongo deals.

Gates

Also, Spezza to Dallas gives them some nice firepower to build around in Benn, Spezza and Seguin...the only problem is I don't think they can win it all with Lehtonen, Lindback and Thomas as your goaltenders.

Strike

Iginla to the Avs is a nice consolation for losing Stastny.

...But fuck Briere.

Jon