News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Growing Up 90's Volume 1: 1990

Started by The Murph, July 31, 2008, 11:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Murph

I couldn't really find anywhere to start this off at but this will be a multiple part entry detailing what it was like to grow up in the 90's. It will detail things including, but not limited to, video games, news, sports, movies, music, toys, and just things to do when we were just hanging out. Shall we begin?

Basically the 90's happened to come after a decade that really changed the way kids grew up. At one time kids didn't really have much to do except play with action figures and tag in the 70's, though if you want to know what they did before that just ask Noah Hanson. This all changed in the 80's with advancements in home entertainment. This included the VCR and video game systems. This helped set up a huge change in the way kids played.

One of my fondest memories of the beginning of the 90's had to be Super Mario Bros 3. This is the game that really broke the mold for how to market a game. It is still considered the highest selling game of all time. Though that is going by Wikipedia. Unsure of if that's truth or not. Though I wouldn't doubt it. Growing up I didn't know one person who owned a Nintendo and didn't own this game. It was just that damn good.

Another thing that definitely helped 1990 start the decade off right was the music that is still played to this date. How many people haven't heard the song "Vogue" by Madonna, "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer, or the greatest white boy rap song ever "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice.

There was also this show which officially got picked up after it's debut in December of 1989. It has since become the longest running sitcom of all time. On January 14th, 1990 it aired its second episode. It has since become a mainstay for what is now 20 years come its season premiere later this year. I'm talking about America's favorite family. The Simpsons.

1990 also brought us Mr. Bean, Beverly Hills 90210, and In Living Color. Though we did lose Mama's Family, Alf, Newhart, Duck Tales, and Muppet Babies.

Here is a clip of commercials from 1990 to give you an idea of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_paNJk59nk

And yes I actually had a friend with a Skatebike. Why? I'm really not sure lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuCey3tDfE

Worst Turtle toys ever.

To Be Continued In 1991