News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Coca-Cola Championship Results

Started by Rob, August 09, 2008, 12:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Just something I'll be doing each week with results from the championship. I used to do this on another forum but figured I'd do it here instead because there's more British people here.

Week 1
Birmingham City  1 - 0  Sheffield United I predicted a narrow win for Birmingham so was spot on. Two former Premiership boys. Watched it live, wasn't that good a game.

Blackpool 0 - 1 Bristol City To be honest I thought this would be a 0-0 because both teams have very little difference now but City have gone a long time winning their first game of the season

Cardiff City 2 - 1 Southampton How the might fall eh? I though Southampton would've won this 2 years ago but now this is no surprise. All Cardiff need is a new stadium

Charlton Athletic 2 - 0 Swansea City Well Charlton were until a few seasons ago a Premiership side and this is Swansea's first season back up so everyone expected Charlton to win. No surprises here.

Coventry City 2 - 0 Norwich City I thought Norwich would win this because Coventry did poor last season. I dont know who scored for Coventry but they bought in Freddy Eastwood and Clinton Morrison (boo!). Eastwood hadn't scored in 33 games before this one though so it'll be interesting to see whether he could or not.

Crystal Palace 0 - 0 Watford  To be honest I should be pleased with this result as it is still a point. I would've welcomed this result with open arms at the end of last season, but I am not shocked. Warnock has done nothing to strengthen the attack for Palace since losing Morrison and obviously as Sinclair was just a loan last season, so until he does, Palace won't be scoring goals.

Derby County 0 - 1 Doncaster Rovers Derby just came off one of the worst Premiership finishes of all time, so it is interesting to see Doncaster come up and win away from home. I hope they use this to their advantage and go on to do well.

Ipswich 1 - 2 Preston North End Two similar teams. I think Ipswich were probably slight favourites in this so Preston will be very happy to come out of this away from home with a win. Another team that could be up in the play-off's at the end of the season.

Plymouth Argyle 2 - 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers I think everyone would have expected Wolves to win this one as every year they come so close to going up but fail to. Then again, Plymouth have a strong side so they might have wanted more from this. 2-2 was however the expected result for 2 of last years mid-table teams.

Queens Park Rangers 2 - 1 Barnsley It's a mystery as to why Barnsley don't do better. Last season they beat two of the worlds biggest clubs in Chelsea and Liverpool on their way to the FA Cup Semi-Final, despite losing they did show they could do better. Despite this they just never achieve anything in the Championship, same with QPR. These are two teams that I fully expect to be nowhere near the promotion race at the end of the season and should think more about relegation. QPR will be happy with this early season win over a team that more than likely will be a relegation battle toward February and March.

Sheffield Wednesday 4 - 1 Burnley Another interesting result. Both teams finished next to one another last season, Burnley doing one better I believe so for Wednesday to win by such a high number will encourage them greatly. Nothing boosts morale more than starting the season top of the table.

With Reading facing Nottingham Forest tomorrow I really do think there's a lot of teams in the division this year that have a high chance of winning. Usually one team dominates but with so many high class teams that year it's going to be hard for one team to take the entire league, so I think the few teams that will do well will be,

Reading
Crystal Palace (almost got there last year!)
Bristol City
Birmingham
And I think Watford have an outside chance of doing something this year.
SixersEagles

[/center]

KevinHill

And my Americanism shines through brightly. I only clicked this because it said Coca-Cola Championship. I figured it was a Coke chugging league. I was very interested.

Ally

Quote from: Rob on August 09, 2008, 12:41:30 PM
Week 1
Birmingham City  1 - 0  Sheffield United I predicted a narrow win for Birmingham so was spot on. Two former Premiership boys. Watched it live, wasn't that good a game.

Queens Park Rangers 2 - 1 Barnsley It's a mystery as to why Barnsley don't do better. Last season they beat two of the worlds biggest clubs in Chelsea and Liverpool on their way to the FA Cup Semi-Final, despite losing they did show they could do better. Despite this they just never achieve anything in the Championship, same with QPR. These are two teams that I fully expect to be nowhere near the promotion race at the end of the season and should think more about relegation. QPR will be happy with this early season win over a team that more than likely will be a relegation battle toward February and March.

I think you're very wide of the mark by saying QPR are in a relegation battle come end of the season.

Ian Dowie as manager, proven track record at getting clubs into at least the play offs, Oldham, Palace. More importantly however, billionaire owners pumping money left right and center into the club. Mid table this season, Dowie sacked, new manager, play offs, manager sacked, new season promoted. Thats the way things will pan out for QPR, they will become a major player in a few years time with absolutely stupid spending power.

Barnsley have the FA Cup effect, play way above yourself in the cup, dont perform in the league, its nothing really new, Middlesborough are a classic case of that, a few times great cup runs/finals coupled with relegation. Oldham last season beat Everton 2 divisions above them at Goodison and finished the season disapointingly. Wycombe are another that springs to mind and Roy Essendoah.

That Birmingham Vs Sheff Utd match was horrible, Kevin Phillips annoys me nowadays, I remember when he was young and fresh faced and likable. Now I just think hes a bit of a twat. 92nd minute, ugh, always happens in the early parts of the season, a boring 0-0 ends up 1-0.

I never make predictions, and I never will.

Rob

I don't think QPR have the quality players that they'd need to even think about a play-off finish. They'll need to spend that money that the majority shareholders have. So far all it's done is cover the debts QPR were in and give them about the same sort of spending power as the average Championship side. I don't see them doing anything spectacular this season.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Ally

Not this season but as i said in 3-4 seasons then they will, mid table this season for me.

I never make predictions, and I never will.