News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Your Favorite Supporting Actor

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, January 12, 2010, 10:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

Hello all,

I was just watching Reservoir Dogs after watching Pulp Fiction. Two fantastic movies indeed.

The supporting cast in both films are extraordinary!  This got me thinking, who is my favorite supporting actor?

Well, I have seen allot of movies and the main guy too stand out as a fantastic supporting actor in whatever film/tv show he has been in, is none other then Harvey Keitel.

Who is your favorite supporting actor and why?

Please note: Supporting actors can be anyone who plays a regular co-star role, thus not being the main star of many or no films.

Regards,

JDM

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Doug E Fresh

Guy who doesn't really ever star in anything but is great in pretty much everything he is in whether its a good movie or not...

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

! JDM The Professional !

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

! JDM The Professional !

Buscemi is great no doubt, epic in Res dogs, but still, no Harvey :)

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jennifer

So wait, is this topic for people saying their favourite supporting actor, or for you to comment on them all saying they're not as good as *your* favourite supporting actor?

Sounds just awesome.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

! JDM The Professional !

lol speedy, I am not saying anything against their choices.

Both were great choices, great actors for supporting roles.

I just like Harvey and like to say it lol.

Who is your favorite Speedy?

1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

However Harvey has also done quite a bit of mainstream lead acting work too...so I question Monsieur JDM if your point is overly accurate.

Also Buscemi was amazing in Fargo as well and here are some of my fav cameos by him:

Stint in Sopranos
Armageddon (best thing bout that film)
Wedding Singer
Con Air
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Tim-Æ

I don't understand the topic. PSH was a supporting actor for most of his career - Boogie Nights, Red Dragon, etc. - but only recently has become a big name actor with roles in Capote, Pirate Radio, etc.

As Ian pointed out Keitel has been mainstream for a long time - Mean Streets, Bad Lieutenant, and he's clearly the lead in Reservoir Dogs. If we're supposed to be choosing actors who are NEVER mainstream, then go with legitimate choices here. Buscemi's a good one, I don't think he's ever been the lead actor in anything.

My favorite would probably be Michael Biehn, who has only been the lead in a few 80s sci-fi flicks, and B-movies. so he may not be the best choice, but I protest, I still don't understand the topic. Buscemi is probably the one of the few actual standard supporting actors in the business, without a single lead role. Perhaps some more suggestions, because I still don't get it. 

Vinny

Don't forget Buscemi in The Big Lewboski (also with Philip Seymore Hoffman in a supporting role).

Michael Madsen is a personal favorite. Specifically in Reservoir Dogs and Sin CIty,
Also a fan of Jeremy Piven, who was the quintessential supporting actor even before becoming Ari Gold.
Norman Reedus is a lesser known one (Gossip, Blade II, Boondock Saints (starring role)).
Tommy Flannagan is also great for anyone who watches Sons of Anarchy he plays Chibs, the Scottish biker. He's also in Sin City as the Irish assassin, and in Smokin' Aces as Lazlo (another assassin).

WWR/EWTorch Best Writer/RPer Finalist 2009

Member of: Frontier Grappling Arts

Zombie Gunn

Buscemi is good. Of course, my fav would have to be Kirsten Dunst because although she's been in a number of mainstream movies, I don't think she's been lead in any.

Great performances in Eternal Sunshine, Interview w/ Vampire and of course Spider-Man.

Vinny

Quote from: Zombie Gunn on January 12, 2010, 03:38:14 PM
Buscemi is good. Of course, my fav would have to be Kirsten Dunst because although she's been in a number of mainstream movies, I don't think she's been lead in any.

Great performances in Eternal Sunshine, Interview w/ Vampire and of course Spider-Man.

I thought we was dreadfully bad in Spiderman. Absolutely no handle whatsoever on the Mary-Jane character. She was the biggest weak-spot to me in the first two movies (the third one was just all-around garbage). As for Eternal Sunshine, her role was so small it was almost inconsequential (haven't seen the movie in a while so I could be forgetting a pivotal part, but I don't think I am). Tom Wilkinson is the guy I would put up as the major support for that movie, as well as his role in Batman Begins.

WWR/EWTorch Best Writer/RPer Finalist 2009

Member of: Frontier Grappling Arts

Hondo

Buscemi FTW.

He could very well be the best actor in America. I mean, he can play any role at any time. If he were a pro wrestler, he'd be Arn Anderson. In that he can do dang near anything you ask of him (and do it WELL), but he rarely get the recognition he deserves.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Drama Queen

Don't forget to add Big Fish to Buscemi's credentials. And the cameo in Billy Madison was hilarious. And he was a co-star for an entire season of the Sopranos

Would Christopher Walken count in the co-star category? Isn't he like, always the villain and stuff?

Zombie Gunn

Quote from: Vinny on January 12, 2010, 05:59:09 PM
I thought we was dreadfully bad in Spiderman. Absolutely no handle whatsoever on the Mary-Jane character. She was the biggest weak-spot to me in the first two movies (the third one was just all-around garbage). As for Eternal Sunshine, her role was so small it was almost inconsequential (haven't seen the movie in a while so I could be forgetting a pivotal part, but I don't think I am). Tom Wilkinson is the guy I would put up as the major support for that movie, as well as his role in Batman Begins.

To be fair, my opinion is probably skewed by my little non-stalkerish crush.