News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Charity Shield Review

Started by Ian "Wolfie" Trumps, August 11, 2008, 06:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Well after navigating myself to Wembley and back via driving and an interesting way of using the tube I am happy to report on the Charity Shield in which I spent the day being all 'prawn sandwhich-esque' with a few of my customers.

Really fucking drab match. United had their moments a lovely cutting edge back heel move in the first half, further followed by Darren Flethcers in ability to score the easiest chance in the world. Second half we had the bar effort and a nice shot by Tevez, but we never really had that finishing touch to put them away despite our dominance. Times I thought Nani was going to explode with something magical when he chipped Glen Johnson (whom he pretty much owned the entire match) and then went close with a lob on David James. Portsmouth hardly had a sniff. Crouch was so ineffective up front it was silly. Ferdinand and Vidic had his number from the get go. Defoe was probably the most likely to score for Pompey...and thats saying a lot.

I was in the coroprate neutral area, on the 18 yard line where United defended first half we were more geared towards the United fans who out sang Pompey the entire match. Pompey didnt even start their singing till about the 70th minute of the match...and they call themselves football fans.

For me personally, I enjoyed the food which included some lovely grilled chicken, salmon and a lot of beer (probably shouldnt have drove back really) and got myself a free program as well. One major annoyance if I am honest was the rain kicking off right at the end when we left where I got soaked leaving Wembley. Apart from that it was the first time I have seen United in a silverware winning match which was fantastic (havent been to one of their FA Cup, League Cup or Euro final wins). Also great to see Gary Neville back...for the record Ronaldo looked like he would rather be any place than there on the day, fucking wanker.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Ally

Watched the highlights on ITV which made it come across as an exciting game, allbeit a very one sided Man Utd game.

Darren Fletcher missed the easiest chance ever, then decided he was good and lobbed everyone and had it cleared off the line. That alone made me think, fuck me, maybe Darren Fletchers alright and he's just faking that he's shite.

Nani looked extremely good, i'll watch out for him stealing the show and it becoming a case of "Ronaldo who?"

Ronaldo always was a fucking twat.

Overall, i liked the look of United but ill have to see a full game to make a better judgement.

-Ally

I never make predictions, and I never will.

Duckman

Watched the game live on the TV.

UTD bossed it for most of the game.  10 corners to 1 pretty much sums it up.

Pompy had no creative midfield to get the ball up to Defoe and Freakboy.  Bouba Diop and Mendes were terrible, giving the ball away, falling over, if you get out muscled by Fletcher and O'Shea there's something massively wrong.

Tevez was the best player on the park by a mile.  The stats said he had 40 odd touches compared to Defoe having 13!  Plus he should've had a penalty when he got rugby tackled.

Nani has got the Ronaldo thing of his first couple of seasons, ie looking brilliant but no end product, if he can start making and scoring goals more often he'll be a true star for them.

Portsmouth need someone to replace Muntari and they need to start playing with some width to get the ball into their strikers.

All in all it wasn't a bad game to watch, some good bits of football here and there, better than last year anyway.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Ally

I defo see Nani coming to light this season as a star, he just looked a class above on the highlights and just cut through the defence like they weren't there, i didnt see what Sir Alex saw in him last season he always seemed to be too fancy and always seemed to give the ball away. He just looked like a spoilt child who didnt want to be a team member.

I aways think about Tevez that he doesnt score enough goals, then you see his stats and you realise he really does. This man is of a different class, bollocks to Ronaldo, this guy has talent and is willing to graft, how a real footballer should play.

Nice to see Gary Neville back in the United team, even though i hate Man Utd, I dont like seeing people injured who arent Drogba, Ronaldo or Anelka.

If Fletcher can play for Scotland so can I..*clap clap* If Fletcher can play for Scotland so can I..*clap clap* If Fletcher can play for Scotland, Fletcher can play for Scotland, Fletcher can play for Sctoland so can I...*clap clap*

Kendell Smith

Nice to see some of the newer faces having a run around and always nice to start the season with a win. Highlight for me was seeing Gary Neville back though, hope he's match fit and ready to get back into the swing of things next weekend when we take on Newcastle.

I echo everyone else with 'Fuck Ronaldo'. The fans will tear into him come his first match back.

Cory

They will tear on him until he starts to score multiple goals a game.....

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Kendell Smith on August 11, 2008, 10:17:23 AM
Nice to see some of the newer faces having a run around and always nice to start the season with a win. Highlight for me was seeing Gary Neville back though, hope he's match fit and ready to get back into the swing of things next weekend when we take on Newcastle.

I echo everyone else with 'Fuck Ronaldo'. The fans will tear into him come his first match back.

Gary is still the best fullback in England IMO, he would easily have won 100 caps for England since he has been the RB since 1996 (Euros) had it not been for injury. Also delighted Frazier Campbell got a run out too.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Ally

I think Man Utd have a more worthy, "Could have gone further for England" contender in Paul Scholes, greatest footballer of his generation in midfield.

I know him retiring gained him a few more years at club level and he had his eye problem, but the man was just pure gold.

He still is one of the best midfielders the country has and to top it all off he's a genuinely nice bloke on and off the pitch, none of this holding out for more money malarky, they put a contract in front of him, he signs and smiles and plays the sport he loves.

Campbell will be amazing if he gets a chance at Utd, I hope he does, in that respect I hope Ferguson doesn't sign another striker. If he does I hope Campbell has a good enough brain to get out, like Bentley did at Arsenal, in the end quality always will shine through.

Kendell Smith

I agree with the Neville comment, he's amazing when he's on form and there's no better man to captain that team. When I went to see them against West Ham for the last Old Trafford match of the season they did a lap of honour and the crowd where mad for him.

Also I agree about Scholes. He's getting old now but he is and always will be my favourite Manchester United player. Even more than Cantona and Keane.

Ronaldo wont have a season like last season again, it doesn't matter what team he plays for and as much as I appreciate goals in any way shape or form my opinion of Ronaldo has plummetted after this summer. I know I wont ever look at him in that 'hero' light that seemed to be associated with him in the past. He's just another footballer that thinks he's bigger than the team.

DaveGilly

come on, if u man u fans can forgive what hedone to england/rooney... i am sure you all will be singing... well, thinking he is top man when he starts popping the goals in again.