News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Organized Chaos (The process of match writing)

Started by Shawn FX, August 16, 2008, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn FX

What you are about to read is intended to help generate a discussion on how a written wrestling match is crafted and how everyone besides an overburdened fed head can get involved in putting together a wrestling show. If matchwriting isn't a fed head's strength there are plenty of members who love to do just that, write matches. A "match writing" e-fed where each handler turns in their version of the upcoming match could work. Add the idea of taking the best elements of each match version, grafting them together to make each handler's character look strong, and putting the desired moves and spots from each participant to play by play commentary or novel style form. This would provide match content with a minimum amount of creative work by the fed head. Knowing who gets put over can still be a surprise for the participants until the show is released to the general public or the viewing internet audience.

Putting together the best elements of each version of the same match is more of a three way collaberation with everyone having an opportunity to contribute. You have the fed head deciding the best/most creative/logical outcome keeping that element of surprise and anticipation for the two participants. Both participants/handlers are going to want to read the match to see what ideas submitted were used and which ones were not. Anything that isn't used by either handler could always be resubmitted or elaborated on to make that wrestler's next match better. Especially if it's those same two wrestlers going at it with a better understanding of each other next time around. Who wins? Whoever makes the tastiest sammich for the fed head. I think you know what I'm implying here.

We are all creative writers in the context of e-wrestling. I've noticed in a lot of e-federations it seems the fed head is on his own guessing who does what in any given match, normally missing the mark. A move list submitted on an application form doesn't tell a match writer the wrestlers in-ring psychology. It doesn't tell a fed head or match writer how a wrestler would counter a certain move. The fed head or assigned match writer again has to guess. This leaves the handlers either satisified or dissatisfied with the single perspective decided outcome. Where is the opportunity to say what you want to see happen?

I'm not saying this idea of collaberative involvement is flawless. I have my theories though this is as close to the real thing behind the scenes of a pro wrestling organization as it gets. I can only imagine. Just add an entire creative team, road agents, acting coaches, camera men, stolen ideas from e-federations by those real pro wrestling federations, etc. When real pro wrestling organizations take notice of the way a match is written in a fantasy e-federation you know you and your team are on to something.

With the emphasis on what's been written so far on my views on the construction of a match maybe it's sounding as if roleplaying has absolutely no barring on a match's outcome or an e-wrestlers overall career. This is not the case. I hope there wasn't any confusion there. Roleplaying/character development is equally as important as it relates to a wrestler's push and placement on a card.

In the real wrestling world promos/interviews aren't what determines the winner of any particular match. Promos are actually meant to sell the viewer on watching the upcoming encounter or buying the pay per view. I seriously doubt there is an agent or an owner in the back saying to himself "That guy talked a lot of smack about his opponent during the week, let's make sure we put him over tonight." Most promos (I hate to say it) are scripted by someone else besides the wrestler anyway.

Everyone has their own methods of writing a wrestling match and determing who wins. There aren't necessarily any right or wrong answers here. No one is getting paid for any of this at least that I know of. E-wrestling is just meant to be fun and sometimes just to let off some steam. One group has their methods for determining who wins and loses and another has theirs. I'd encourage everyone to help your fed head out in any way that you can. You'll get out of something exactly what you put into it. Teamwork, compromise, and learning from each other - It's a three way dance that can produce the best results.

All opinions on this subject matter are welcome. Thanks for reading.