News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

ESPN, World Cup, The US

Started by Bryan Payne, June 18, 2010, 12:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Quote from: M.D.K. on June 21, 2010, 03:24:14 AM
First of all I would be careful of defining insanity or utilising any form of mental health reference when discussing a discussion on an internet forum. On that you clearly have no idea.

And Bryan, how about you address one of the many valid points raised towards you. Namely Ian's Lakers question or even name me a sport where the USA have an interest where they are not one of the world's best at it.

Or how about you pull up some references to back up your generalized insults if your going to be asking people to be careful about saying things they have no clue about?

Hondo

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Bryan Payne

Quote from: M.D.K. on June 21, 2010, 03:24:14 AM
First of all I would be careful of defining insanity or utilising any form of mental health reference when discussing a discussion on an internet forum. On that you clearly have no idea.

And Bryan, how about you address one of the many valid points raised towards you. Namely Ian's Lakers question or even name me a sport where the USA have an interest where they are not one of the world's best at it.

Well Adam... I've already done all those things actually.  But I'll give you a list of sports teams that never win that American fans still embrace several of which I already mentioned previously... just for you.  Additionally you haven't made a point, just said I haven't made any and that "American's are arrogant and that explains everything" thus distilling what was supposed to be a nice open discussion... which others have apparently understood and embraced...  into a mud slinging contest.  Congratulations. 

Cleveland Browns
Chicago Cubs (perhaps... the perennial  losers of all time)
Boston Redsox (sure they finally won it, but they were embraced for the entire span of baseball lore for being the underdog who never could quite doing standing up to the big bad yankees)
All of Philly's teams have a tragic history in failing to win championships and in some case even the play offs, yet the city remains rabidly supportive.. if sometimes abusive of them.  They are like a one stop shop for building up the hopes of their fans and then epically crushing them over... and over... and over

As for a sport:  Tennis.  We suck yet we still watch.  We haven't always been bad, but the best American player for the last decade has been Andy Roddick who struggles to even win in opening rounds half the time.  The Diving competitions at the Olympics.  Not since Greg Luganus have we had a great shot at one of those medals yet they still get high ratings in the US.  We've also... for some weird reason, taken to Curling which neither the US men nor women even made the semi's at the Olympics... which I like to call drunk Eskimo bowling..  The skiing events also do quite well, despite American's generally not having too many good chances but we'll call that borderline as in some of the events we do... long jump is one in particular that gets a lot of interested viewers, though we never have a realistic shot at it really.  I know a lot of people who enjoy the Bobsleigh, though you can hardly call that a generally much supported event in the States though it is usually talked about quite a lot  when the Olympics roll around usually in terms of "those guys are nuts!"

Now, do me the same favor and name a few sports the UK likes that they suck at.

The Laker's question has already been asked, answered, and replied to.  Look it up. 

Adam Wrong

At any point have I iunsulted you or 'slung mud?' Nope. Just simply iterated a point which you happen to disagree with but instead of being able to accept it as somebody's opinion, you try to refute all acceptance of it.

As for sports we suck at that we watch. Winter Games was one already bought up. Then you have football, rugby, cricket, most athletics including all Olympic sports, boxing... the list is pretty much endless where we are not world elite or even top ranked and yet we still follow it.

And again, please stop paraphrasing my words and turning it into something it is not.

Cory

Boxing? Lennox Lewis, Hatton, Calzaghe, David Haye.

I wouldn't say you suck. Maybe Hatton.....

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Adam Wrong

Lummox Lewis and David Haye are part of a shite era in HW boxing consisting of lumbering eastern european knuckle dragging apes. To have them considered the best of a bad bunch maybe but Haye is shocking against any decent pacy puncher and Lummox was never good just a half decent boxer in another shite era - Hasseen Rahman anyone?

Calzaghe is possibly only the decent one out of them and to be honest the current boxing world is North and South America centred.

Duckman

I'll see your shitty boxers and raise you Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Prince Naz, Amir Khan (he's only going to get better), Steve Collins, Barry McGuigan and Jim Watt.

Britian fucking rules at boxing...or at least we did :) 

Good point though on the rest MDK! lol.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Cory

regardless, you dont suck at boxing, you've had consistant winners, unlike the US in soccer.

Adam Wrong

exactly sam... we DID. Now we suck balls at it in a major way.

To be honest the only 'sports' I'd say we are the world's best at are shit. Cycling, swimming to an extent, rowing, horse-riding, bowls, darts and snooker

Cory

Cycling, swimming?

What about american's one nut hero? and Phelps.

Adam Wrong

track cycling Cory not long distance, that belongs to One-Ball McRoid ;)

And swimming we hold our own down. A kind of 3 way between us, the US and Australia

Bryan Payne

Quote from: M.D.K. on June 21, 2010, 01:51:49 PM
At any point have I iunsulted you or 'slung mud?' Nope. Just simply iterated a point which you happen to disagree with but instead of being able to accept it as somebody's opinion, you try to refute all acceptance of it.

I think it's safe to say that your whole "point" was on the face of it an insult with the way you approached it,  and the conversation from that point on.  And I don't have to twist your words my friend, you dig a deep enough hole all by yourself.

I'd say you were still a significant force in boxing.  Checking the total medal count you're still ranked 5th overall in total medals won in boxing.. so at least historically speaking there's a strong tradition of being good in the sport above and beyond the pros otherwise named.  Then again the "soviet union" is ranked on this table as 4th so I don't think it's been updated in some time..

The Netherlands have been quite strong in swimming the last couple Olympics as well. 

Adam Wrong

No insult was intended and the fact you misunderstood speaks volumes. Read through, read the agreements. Hardly a hoe dug . ;)

Adam Wrong

Bryan Payne

Quote from: Drama Queen on June 21, 2010, 05:16:31 AM
Or how about you pull up some references to back up your generalized insults if your going to be asking people to be careful about saying things they have no clue about?

Direct quotes:

"Americans are idiots, and don't have patience to enjoy the game."

"Americans only do give a shit about ANYTHING they are good at"

"If thats not a taste of American arrogance"

Wasn't just me who felt that way about some of the things  being said... or at least the way it was being said.   

Speaks volumes that you don't get that too.