News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Xbox one launch titles from Microsoft riddled with Microtransactions

Started by Chris Stern, November 27, 2013, 11:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Stern

seems Microsoft is at it again after the whole DRM and the kinect being required to even powered on debacles, Microsoft has added microtransactions to many of it's launch titles including Ryse: son of rome, Killer instinct and Froza 5. According to many statements from various members of Microsoft's game divisions: "they are simply testing new options for gamers and that if it's such a issue just don't buy the games".

Why is it that Microsoft constantly feels the need to do stupid stuff this generation?

source(s):
http://www.t3.com/news/forza-5-microtransactions-run-as-high-at-pound-32-50
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-ones-launch-exclusives-foreshadows-dystopian-future-microtransactions/

Kenfucius

Quote from: Chris Stern on November 27, 2013, 11:14:19 AM
According to many statements from various members of Microsoft's game divisions: "they are simply testing new options for gamers and that if it's such a issue just don't buy the console"

Fixed for what should happen.

It's not so much the things Microsoft are doing that has bothered me about the X-Bone (though they DO bother me, and while I have no plans to jump to the next gen at all in the near future, I'm definitely leaning in Sony's direction right now for when I do because of everything going on), the real issue I have with the new release is the fact that the comments coming out of Microsoft in response to criticism make the company look like unrepentant douchebags.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Kenfucius on November 27, 2013, 11:59:21 AM
Fixed for what should happen.

It's not so much the things Microsoft are doing that has bothered me about the X-Bone (though they DO bother me, and while I have no plans to jump to the next gen at all in the near future, I'm definitely leaning in Sony's direction right now for when I do because of everything going on), the real issue I have with the new release is the fact that the comments coming out of Microsoft in response to criticism make the company look like unrepentant douchebags.
it's because they are unrepentant douchebags, you have to wonder what goes through these guys heads to want to do stuff that they know will cause a backlash, get all assholish when it does see said backlash and then turn around change their policy and say "yeah we fucked up, sorry" when it affects sales. I mean they could avoid this cycle by either A. not doing the stupid shit in the first place or B. test said stupid shit on a very small scale like in the case of the microtransactions in a 60 dollar game put it in one or two games only and see the reaction and change plans accordingly you do not do this shit on this big of a scale.

Stoner

The simple fact is that while there is a large section of gamers that will be outraged by Microsoft's douchebaggery, there is an even larger section that simply wont care.  They'll get to play their Halo, they'll get to play their Call of Duty and they'll get to play their action games where they slaughter a million people an hour.

@ Adding Microtransactions:  Very lame, especially for a $60 game.  Incredibly shitty practice, although I have to wonder exactly what is being offered via said transactions.  Is it small things that add extra aesthetics to the game, or shit that gives players an edge against other players that didn't pay for these things?  Because, honestly, microtransactions are just the natural progression of the previous era of DLC, which was the progression of the previous era of Expansion Packs.  Depending on the content of these MTs, I think some people would be less upset if it were all offered as one pack of things as opposed to a series of small ones.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

jagilki

This is the Future of gaming.  Publishers didn't get to stamp out the possibility of re-sales (and in their eyes, the loss of profits that brings) so now you buy the game, then you buy the DLC/Microtransactions, and guess what?  You can't re-sell the DLC/Mictrotransactions. 

However Killer Instinct is a particularly egregious example of this.  I think what, you start with 3-4 fighters in 3-4 stages, then extra fighters are about 5-10 bucks each?  That's just crossing the line.

That would be like WWE 2K15.  Hey, you get Triple H and Zack Ryder, all other wrestlers are5 bucks each!

T-Bonizzle

jagilki

Crazy Kyd

Yeah, Killer Instinct is free.

I don't think micro-transactions should be in console games unless the game is free. I do understand why mobile developers do it, even though I still think it is a bit lame. For me, if a game is $10+ and offers in app purchases I most likely won't purchase it.

I was never a fan of DLC until a few years ago, and I have never been a fan of microtransactions in games, but I guess it'll be a matter of time before I accept that as well.

Chris Stern

Quote from: T-Urkey on December 01, 2013, 08:44:11 AM
Isn't Killer Instincts free though? That's a bad example.
Killer Instinct is either Free with only a small selection of characters and stages and you can buy the rest later or you can buy the full game for 60 bucks and should get everything out of the gate

Stoner

Quote from: Chris Stern on December 01, 2013, 06:45:43 PM
Killer Instinct is either Free with only a small selection of characters and stages and you can buy the rest later or you can buy the full game for 60 bucks and should get everything out of the gate

If the microtransactions end up equal to the 60 bucks, that would be a good deal. If its more though, then meh like a motherfucker.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM