News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

proboards vs. invisionfree

Started by kingtut307, May 13, 2009, 05:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtut307

Since getting reinvolved, I've only dealt with proboards.  Some people have told me that most e-fedders look down on proboards and prefer invisionfree.  Is this true?  If so, what makes IF head and shoulders above PB?  Just wondering.

Russ

TBH there's nothing *wrong* with any boards... it's just proboards tend to have gharish and unappealing skins. All depends on the user and how they work the boards; everyone should just stick wth the forums they're comfortable with.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Brandon

I don't prefer either of them to be honest. It's simple enough to pay six or seven dollars and scoop up some decent looking boards. But I suppose if I had to choose, I'd go with Invision.

- Proboards are easily hacked, prone to spam bots, etc.
- Invisionfree is a little better, though now more prone to bots and spam then ever. Also run a bit slow and have a shitty ACP.

chunkylover

I run my blog off of 110mb.com, they can automatically create private boards for you, which are less likely to be spam bot attacked and they give you a better URL and they're free.

Judge

If I was going to pay money for boards, I'd go with VBulletin  Boards.  If we could afford them for this site, I'd get em.

If not, I REALLY like Simple Machines (SMF, which is what we run here).  the new phpBB 3.0 boards are good as well.

Rebel Child

The only things you need to look for in a board are:

Easily Customizable
Security
Speed
Ease of Use for members.

The name doesn't really matter, hwoever I would suggest looking into the ones that Judge mentioned only because I do know how easy those boards are to set up, maintain, update, and make purty.

Stoner

Quote from: Russ on May 13, 2009, 05:32:24 PM
TBH there's nothing *wrong* with any boards... it's just proboards tend to have gharish and unappealing skins. All depends on the user and how they work the boards; everyone should just stick wth the forums they're comfortable with.

Yeah, thats the only reason I don't like PB too much, is that its normally an eyesore.  I have seen decent skins on PB forums, but they're normally few and far between.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

chunkylover

IFSZ have made Invision free much easier to skin, downside is that because 90% of feds insist on having either Blakc and Red, Black and Orange or Black and Black as a colour scheme, you only see 4 different skins, ever. If I remember rightly in the ISGA, I altered some of the built in images of the skin to at least make it look a little personal.

Draeden

I prefer proboards, I find them functional and easy to use. Invisionfree's boards are buggy and unresponsive sometimes.

Mike Storm

I personally don't mind what the boards look like as long as they function and are easy to use. I personally prefer proboards over any of the free boards because I think it's the easiest to use. As for the skins, I don't really mind as long as I can read the text and it's clean.

Judge

The one thing that I require a board to have, more than anything else is a button for "Unread topics since last visit"

As of now, the only ones that I know have that are SMF, VBB, MyBB...and phpBB3.

Other ones have "Active topics" or some other shit that just doesn't fucking work.  If it doesn't have that, it makes me hate your forum with the fire of 1000 suns.  I'm looking at YOU, The Experts.

kingtut307

I like Proboards because I'm most familiar with it.

The unread topics thing is cool...that's the main reason why I've tried to keep my forums simple, I hate sifting through 15-20 forums looking for new posts.

Alex Smiley

But where's the fun in going straight to the posts you wanna read? lol

I'm not really keen on either PB or IF...my heart's been pretty set on PHPBB (Version 3 as of late), with a slight yearning for MyBB.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Russ

Quote from: G.I. JUDGE on May 14, 2009, 07:13:41 AM
The one thing that I require a board to have, more than anything else is a button for "Unread topics since last visit"

As of now, the only ones that I know have that are SMF, VBB, MyBB...and phpBB3.

Other ones have "Active topics" or some other shit that just doesn't fucking work.  If it doesn't have that, it makes me hate your forum with the fire of 1000 suns.  I'm looking at YOU, The Experts.

http://www.ewexperts.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

Lrn2look.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Judge

Learn2STFU before I hit you with a chair.

That shit wasn't on the homepage last week.