News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

NFL Debate #75: Winston vs Mariota

Started by Cory, February 17, 2015, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Cory

Im going Winston because you've seen as of late troubled college players CAN turn it around when they hit the pros (Honey Badger....not so much Manziel) and I think he will, and hes much more of prototype QB than Mariota. IF Mariota can go to a team that can run the scheme he needs to success (unlikely) then I would say him...but he's going to end up probably on the Jets or some team that wont have the weapons or scheme he needs to succeed.

I however wouldnt draft Winston because until proven, he's an incredible stupid individual....way to much to put the franchise in his hands.

Mariota is a far better overall player and character guy......Winston will have more chances to succeed.

J-Reb

Can you take Winston's skillset with Mariota's brain?  Now - Mariota is going to excel because Chip Kelly is going to sell the farm to move up and take him...but he'll bust the minute Kelly is canned and Mariota has to play in any other system.  Winston's going to take a few years to settle in but he can make all the throws that he needs to do to make it in the NFL.  It's going to be all mental with him.

Gravedigger

The best thing for Winston would be to go to a team with a legit RB, but he'll get drafted too high for that scenario. That way he wouldn't be the focus of the team at first and could adjust to acting like a professional.

In the end I think they both could see some success, but I don't see a star either way. If I have to pick I go Jameis.

Captain Metro

I think it's entirely on where they go. I took Mariota because I believe teams will look at the success Russell Wilson has had and be more willing to adjust schematically to fit him. If you look at the two teams in the SuperBowl this year, 1 had a run dominated team with a mobile quarterback, the other had a true pocket passer but the passing game is very quick routes and very few times in a game does Brady have to go through an entire progression (this is also in part due to him checking off at the line to a play that doesn't require but that's besides the point). Mariota basically fits both of those models too me. Regardless, whoever goes to the Jets is fucked.

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

Hondo

Looks like a pick'em to me. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but they kinda even out. I think the two will be linked together for years to come, kinda like Elway and Marino.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Captain Metro

Quote from: Hondo on February 17, 2015, 03:36:36 PM
Looks like a pick'em to me. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but they kinda even out. I think the two will be linked together for years to come, kinda like Elway and Marino.

This is a bit of a stretch. I'd be more inclined to compare this year to 2005 with Smith and Rodgers.

Captain Metro

Quote from: Jack on February 17, 2015, 06:58:09 PM
You guys are both assuming they're going to be pretty good.....they may be linked like Geno Smith and EJ Manuel....

What are you talking about? Geno and EJ are the best players for the Patriots when they're on the field.

Hondo

Quote from: Captain Metro on February 17, 2015, 04:09:39 PM
This is a bit of a stretch. I'd be more inclined to compare this year to 2005 with Smith and Rodgers.

You misunderstood me there.

I'm not saying these two are going to be the next Elway or Marino. I'm saying their careers will always be linked to one another, much like Elway and Marino will always be linked. Also, can you definitively say Marino was better than Elway? Or vice versa? Certainly not. Kinda the same thing with those two. I think both can have fine careers and find success, but will we ever be able to say one was better than the other?

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Justin

Winston.

Mariota is at a disadvantage because he is a system quarterback.  If he doesn't go to a team that can develop an entire system around him he will not excel. 

GM Franchise

I went with Mariota since Winston is the next Johnny Manziel with his off the field issues. Crab legs, anyone?  :)
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Justin

Quote from: GM Franchise on February 18, 2015, 09:16:42 PM
I went with Mariota since Winston is the next Johnny Manziel with his off the field issues. Crab legs, anyone?  :)

Ok lets go ahead and clear this up...

Do you honestly think he stole thr crab legs? No! He got the hookup from a classmate or someone who recognized him and hooked him up. Unfortunately he got caught but didn't give up his hookup.

GM Franchise

Quote from: JustinP on February 18, 2015, 09:22:14 PM

Do you honestly think he stole thr crab legs? No! He got the hookup from a classmate or someone who recognized him and hooked him up. Unfortunately he got caught but didn't give up his hookup.

So? He's a red flag player and will stay that way. Plus there's more than just that going on with him too. There's multiple things which, as previously mentionned, is why he is a red flag player.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Cory

Quote from: JustinP on February 18, 2015, 09:22:14 PM

If that's the case, he's even more of an idiot then before. Its not the hood, your a Heisman trophy winner....being a rat only will get you praise from your white collar coaches, and white collar scouts and professionals alike. To not realize this affects his character more so.

....if that's hypothetically what happened of course.

Justin

Quote from: GM Franchise on February 18, 2015, 09:53:57 PM
So? He's a red flag player and will stay that way. Plus there's more than just that going on with him too. There's multiple things which, as previously mentionned, is why he is a red flag player.

I get it and im not saying I disagree. I'm just perturbed at how the media crucified him and he really didn't steal them. But you also have to remember these are 18, 19, 20 year old college students.