News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by ., June 15, 2011, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hondo

I LOVE the Book of Proverbs. There's one verse in Proverbs 25:24, "It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house." I mention that one to the missus a lot.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Fnord

Pretty good fiction novel.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Hondo

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on June 15, 2011, 02:22:41 PM
I don't want this post to start an argument on religion or anything

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Fnord

Quote from: Fnord on June 15, 2011, 02:49:26 PM
Pretty good fiction novel.

EBWO~~Mafia Style!

I didn't post this to argue or anything.  I've ventured through all sorts of religions.  I've enjoyed some and not.  I've read the Bible from cover to cover and as a religious book, I enjoyed it.  Not trying to poke Christians with a stick or anything.  Sorry if it seemed that way.  :(

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

jagilki

QuoteI enjoyed it.  Not trying to poke Christians with a stick or anything.  Sorry if it seemed that way.

I'm sorry, but...

QuotePretty good fiction novel.

Does exactly the opposite of what you just said.

Black Death

the bible is good ,  it a guideline to life.  and should be use to  help you and the people around you

but as actual book, reading it cover to cover is hard , because it not put together well. The story jumps from place to place ,  you can get lost easily.

i
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Smash INC

I'll post something more about this when I'm actually at home and not mooching internet.

The Bible is the greatest testament to the power of literature the world has ever seen, it's powerful, evocative and deep. It might not be the most polished piece of work but it stands as a foundation of language throughout.

And that even goes without going into the religious aspect of it.
And it stands as a great example that you can use 'and' to begin a sentence!

Mike Wilkins

As a book, there are a lot of contradictions and there is confusion throughout.  As a child, I attended church and I read the Bible every single week.  I was raised as a Baptist.  During my time in High School, I made it a point to read it cover to cover a couple of different times as I explored whether or not I wanted to become a Preacher or follow that road.  Several things in the Bible terrified me, and being raised in Alabama, right in the heart of the Bible Belt, the Bible was practically law.  In my senior year of High School, I quit going to church and I haven't thought too much about the Bible since then.  It is the foundation of the Christian faith, and I try to respect those who follow it.

Exile

Its like reading a long form version of the second transformers movie.

It starts off with some promise, decent action scenes despite some early WTF moments, settles down for a bit and gets a little bogged down with its own weight and exposition of telling the same thing over and over again and finally ends with something that people had to have just said well we have to give them something right?

IVe read it cover to cover debated heavily about going into the seminary and becoming a pastor in my early 20s. Ill stick with transformers now.

Hondo

I think Lemke is the only person I know who can make the Bible sound like a Michael Bay movie.

Exile

The only one who could do it and sell it accurately.

Mike Wilkins

The Bible by Michael Bay

It's got explosions and shit.

RAHTHPEWA

The Bible can really be a confusing at times. People might believe it jumping place to place but it going in order of history in my view.

Yes I am a reader of the Bible and I also take the time out to study it also.

When reading the Bible you have to remember these points.

Genesis to Malachi  is on things that happen before Jesus Christ came down to earth.

Matthew to Revelation are things that happen while Jesus was here on earth till after his death and what he will do in the future.

People might believe Revelation is the most scary part of the Bible but in my eyes the 4 horsemen, The Wild Breast and etc they are symbols for things that is representing  things our time and also things from the past. 

To me in order to actually understand The Bible you have to study it. You have to do research on it.

I love Psalms and Song of Solomon.

Mike Wilkins

Hi Liz, good points definitely... However, there are just so many contradictions along the way.  I think the problem is due to multiple authors and a lack of computer technology to check for duplicates.

Here are some interesting things to check out:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html