News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

FWL Season 5 ALPHA Archive

Started by Fnord, December 20, 2015, 03:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

Alex is in. Now Josh and King just need to jump from maybe to in and then we get one more person out of the blue and we have our 10!

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Midas

Quote from: Sgt. Josh Underpants on January 10, 2016, 06:14:34 PM
Honestly right now id be more willing if we did a $10 buy in.

I understand and I appreciate you bringing that up...

Midas

Kieran King

As I just told Fnord in PMs, I tend to avoid games like this that involve money. It almost always results in somebody taking things too seriously/becoming overly invested in it and then ruining the fun for everyone else.

Midas

Quote from: Kieran King on January 10, 2016, 10:11:21 PM
As I just told Fnord in PMs, I tend to avoid games like this that involve money. It almost always results in somebody taking things too seriously/becoming overly invested in it and then ruining the fun for everyone else.

I understand you concerns and I respect them but if you give me a brief moment I would like to offer a counter to that thought process...

For several years now Ian ran the MFX Fantasy Football League with a buy in of $10 and not once have I seen anyone get offended or upset with regards to that. If I am not mistaken you did not partake in the fantasy football league but I feel it is a great example of how us here on these boards can put a little money down for a fantasy game and not let cause problems...

I will admit that I cannot tell the future and cannot say with certainty that this would not occur so I respect your opinion and understand completely.

I appreciate you coming online and expressing your opinion and hope that your reconsider and play in the Alpha League this year making you our 9th team.

Fnord

I, personally, don't think anyone would get too serious or overly invested.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

BamBamBunglow

Reasons I changed my mind;

1. I have seen in other places and other games, people take shit too far when money's concerned, especially in terms of th usual "friendly banter". It's fun to mock someone when they've been beaten in an imaginary game. But mocking them when they've been beaten in an imaginary game AND have just been denied X amount of money... yeah, you'll get a different reaction then.

2. Me. There were at least 2 instances in this year's league where something rules wise happened that I disagreed with. I'm a very "letter of the rules" kinda guy. If money were to be involved and something happened ruleswise I didn't agree with, I'd be likely to argue 'til I rage quit.

3. The "Winner take all" I'm not a fan of. I'd much rather see it split into 40/30/20/10 for top 4, or some other arbitrary number.

¿PapaPancho?

Too many grey areas for rules that I would take advantage of and argue for if money were involved.  For example with the inclusion of more independent shows why couldn't I play so and so as a non title in NJPW even if he is a title holder in ROH.  Not to mention ROH's lack of consistency at airing shows means unlike fantasy football where the games take place all in the same week when they are scheduled I could lose or win based on not skill but luck of when they do a massive IPPV dump.

Midas

Quote from: BamBamBunglow on January 11, 2016, 01:32:37 AM
Reasons I changed my mind;

1. I have seen in other places and other games, people take shit too far when money's concerned, especially in terms of th usual "friendly banter". It's fun to mock someone when they've been beaten in an imaginary game. But mocking them when they've been beaten in an imaginary game AND have just been denied X amount of money... yeah, you'll get a different reaction then.

2. Me. There were at least 2 instances in this year's league where something rules wise happened that I disagreed with. I'm a very "letter of the rules" kinda guy. If money were to be involved and something happened ruleswise I didn't agree with, I'd be likely to argue 'til I rage quit.

3. The "Winner take all" I'm not a fan of. I'd much rather see it split into 40/30/20/10 for top 4, or some other arbitrary number.

1) Like I said above I cannot predict how others would react and have stated before that $20 to me has a different value then others so I cannot say "It is only $20" because IMO it is only $20 but to others it could have a higher value. I don't feel anyone getting upset over $20 is worth it but as stated above I cannot tell the future.

2) I don't recall any rules being violated but I guess you could be referring to the fact that trades were pushed before a blanket 24 hour deadline, which I have been told you were vocal about.

3) I do not agree with this... It is $20 dollars... I mean with 10 people the grand prize is $200 dollars so splitting that up amongst several people makes no sense to me but that is a personal opinion.

I see these opinions of yours and understand why you do not join... I would love for you to reconsider or maybe talk out some of your concerns with us so maybe we can lay down new rules or set certain things in stone that would allow you to feel comfortable playing. This entire thing is flexible and has been flexible each year so your opinion does matter.

Quote from: ¿PapaPancho? on January 11, 2016, 11:29:23 AM
Too many grey areas for rules that I would take advantage of and argue for if money were involved.  For example with the inclusion of more independent shows why couldn't I play so and so as a non title in NJPW even if he is a title holder in ROH.  Not to mention ROH's lack of consistency at airing shows means unlike fantasy football where the games take place all in the same week when they are scheduled I could lose or win based on not skill but luck of when they do a massive IPPV dump.

This is all true... Not much Fnord or I could do to change that and we try our best to run this league as best as possible... We were hoping that keeping the money low would allow for people to take these unchangable aspects with a grain of salt. This is a case where certain people like yourself do not feel comfortable risking any amount of money regardless of the value for something like this...

I understand that and cannot do much to change that opinion... Thank you for voicing your opinion...

With this Alpha league I myself have rule changes that I want made before I commit and it is simply a matter of expressing them and if Fnord will adjust then you join and if he will not then you pass... For example here are a couple of the changes I would like made to the Alpha now that it is involving money:

* I would like Fnord to submit his waiver wire picks to the co-mod (Midas) prior to the deadline so there is physical proof of his choices...

* I would like a strict deadline for all waiver wire picks with no exceptions for ANYONE for any reason!

* I would like for any team that fails to submit a line up by deadline to have their previous weeks line up used so that no team gets a auto win.

* I would like for waiver wire to no longer be reverse order but instead each week when a person submits a waiver they are moved to the back of the line.

These are just a couple of my opinions... Does he have to take them into account and do them? NO! Do I have to play? NO! But none the less I can make a suggestion so I guess what I am saying is that if someone is on the fence and would like things changed before they join then simply mention it and lets see what we can do... Nothing is set in stone just yet as we all want to be happy with the way things are.

Gravedigger

Fnord asked me about this league earlier... I'll take a spot.

Fnord

All we need now is for King to come to his senses! (j/k, but really... lol) or someone else to pop up out of nowhere and we're all set!

Fnord

Anymore interested people for this league? Sign-ups are closing soon!

Mike Powers

Midas

Quote from: Mike Powers on January 17, 2016, 02:16:35 PM
So, about that 10th....?

I really don't know how to get the 10th person... I have asked a lot of people if they are interested and it seems like no one is... Can't do the Alpha league with 9 so honestly I don't know where we stand right now... I do believe Fnord wants to start both drafts at some point this week so lets hope something changes... If I am not mistaken the Omega is 15 and we need a even number for that one also.

Fnord

Yeah, I don't know. I didn't think we'd have that much of a problem finding 10 people. We might have to go back down just the one league w/keepers again this year and re-evaluate until next year.