News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy thread

Started by Tim-Æ, November 24, 2010, 01:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Okay its out. The over the top hype for Kanye West's newest album has reached boiling point for some of us. It leaked last week, and I've listened to it a few times. Keep in mind that rap is not my favorite genre. I listen to minimal rap and if I do, it'll be something less mainstream. Earlier this year i heard 'Power" and loved it. It's still one of the best songs of the year imo, I think its great, especially with the sampling of King Crimson. The rest of the album is decent, some of it though I'm not really into at the moment, but it could change.

But the critical praise has been absurd. Near perfect scores across the board, I have to wonder how well this will stand the test of time. For me, I'd give it a B+. It's the best rap album I've heard this year (it's also the 2nd one of I've listened to).

Anyone else listen to it yet?

Fnord

I just got it last night.  3 songs went on my shuffle for right away use.  Gotta listen to more of it, but so far it's pretty sweet.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Duckman

I like the single but haven't heard the album yet.  Might make that purchase - just a shame the guy is such a pompus cunt because his music is pretty decent.

I still can't stop listening to Distant Relatives by Nas and Damian Marley but I might try this out to see if it tops that as my best rap album of 2010.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Marq

I've been a Kanye fiend since "The College Dropout," and upon picking it up, it is EASILY the most musically-ambitious record he's put out since the glimmers of it last seen in "Late Registration." West really, really goes for broke in this one, and after a strange (but welcome) turn on "808's & Heartbreaks," delivers pretty big, though it might prove daunting to listen to from the beginning to end. Almost all of the tracks go past five minutes or so, but it's never hollow or a chore to listen to. Everything is heavy, layered, and very dark compared to his lighter and ultimately more radio-friendly fare on past albums. Content-wise, it's a very bleak look at the celebrity status Kanye's attained in the near ten-year career he's been in the game, and at times, I still can't figure what he's satirizing and what he's actually proud of. Regardless, it's an interesting look at his current station in life. He's egotistic, but self-doubting. Popular, but lonely. Hedonistic, but ultimately unfulfilled. Granted, it's a welcome change from the "bling" rap mainstream radio is used to, but I do admit, I miss some of the silliness he used to bring to the table. Kanye was one of the original "nerd MC's" to stomp his way into the mainstream, and with every album, it seems he's gotten away from that. Growth as an artist, I guess, which is a good thing.

But back to the album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is exactly what the title suggests. This isn't a record to spin at clubs, nor is it an album people will look to bump at house parties. It's a piece of Kanye's soul, put on wax. It's obvious that a LOT of work went into the production side of things, but even though Kanye has never been the hailed as a particularly innovative MC, there's a definite sense of maturity to his content and flow on this record. Appearances aplenty, too, including some heavy hitters in Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, John Legend, Raekwon, Kid Cudi, Rihanna, Elton John, and even Chris Rock for a pretty interesting appearance in the end of "Blame Game." Anyway, there's a lot to like on this record, but be forewarned -- it's Kanye's pure ego through sounds. The man really does believe he can be the greatest artist in history -- and no bullshit, this is a pretty valiant (if overblown, at times) attempt. But oddly, even at his cockiest, Kanye still remains one of the most relatable MC's in the game.

Basically, if you're a hip-hop fan, you can't sweat Kanye's technique on this one. The man's created one of the boldest and most artistically-driven hip-hop albums in recent memory.

Pros:
- Soaring, anthem-like arrangements, with even slicker production
- West's wit is as sharp as ever on this record, lyrically
- Highly personal; listening to this album will give you a much clearer understanding of Kanye as an artist and human being.

Cons:
- Unnecessary appearances. Rick Ross for a measly six bars on "Monster?" Nicki Minaj's blink-and-you'll-miss-it verse on "All of the Lights?"
- A heavy listen. Not very easily-digestible unless it's got your full-attention.
- A bit on the long side. The coda at the end of "Runaway" adds three whole minutes to the radio cut.

Must-Listens:

"Power" - If you haven't heard this, you're living underneath a rock.
"All Of The Lights" - Oh my LORD, beats for days on this one. Rihanna sings a great hook on one of Kanye's best arrangements.
"Runaway" - With MC's bragging about all the tail they get, this is Kanye's self-deprecating and painfully honest warning for women to stay away from him.
"Blame Game" - The most personal song on the record, IMO. 2:26-3:26 is absolutely nuts with headphones on.

And I just thought this was funny from the second track, "Gorgeous" feat. Kid Cudi:

But this pimp is
At the top of Mt. Olympus
Ready for the world's games
This is my Olympics,
We make 'em say, "Ho!"
'Cause the game so pimp-ish,
Choke a "South Park" writer with a fishstick
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"