Iconic Sci-Fi Author Richard Matheson Dead at 87

Started by Fnord, June 26, 2013, 04:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

Richard Matheson, the author of classic sci-fi stories such as "I Am Legend," "The Incredible Shrinking Man," "Duel," "Real Steel," "What Dreams May Come," and "A Stir of Echoes," has passed away of natural causes at his home in Calabasas, California. He was 87 years old.

While many of his stories were turned into major Hollywood films, Matheson also worked in television, writing for series like "Star Trek," "Wanted Dead or Alive," "Combat!," "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" and "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" -- but it was with his 16 episodes of "Twlight Zone" that he influenced a future generation of storytellers such as Stephen King, Anne Rice, Steve Niles and Seth Grahame Smith.

"Richard Matheson's ironic and iconic imagination created seminal science-fiction stories and gave me my first break when he wrote the short story and screenplay for 'Duel,'" Spielberg said in a statement. "His 'Twilight Zones' were among my favorites, and he recently worked with us on 'Real Steel.' For me, he is in the same category as Bradbury and Asimov."

Among "The Twilight Zone" episodes was the 1963 installment "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" starring William Shatner.

"We were all with him when he passed," said Matheson Jr. "It was very peaceful. Even though we were sobbing, it was beautiful in its own way. He was a majestic talent and he was every bit as wonderful as a father, a friend and a husband."

Source: THR

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Sabra

Just saw this. RIP ... what a wonderful voice he had, silenced but never forgotten.

This Means Something.

Thank you Meggie for the beautiful signature!