News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Ellen Page Comes Out

Started by GM Franchise, February 15, 2014, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bonizzle

Sorry Hondo, I thought my wording was clear. I said 'interpretation', because I feel that some people use their interpretation of their religion to justify beliefs. You only need to look at the Westboro's to see that. I wasn't saying that religion makes people hate, it depends on who is using the religion.

Kirk

Quote from: Dorling on February 16, 2014, 03:29:01 PM
Like I said before though, we have no idea what it's like to be intimidated about being honest about who we are, because we are 'normal.' We will never 'feel the need' to do this because as white, heterosexual, English speaking men, you and I have no prejudices or oppression to deal with. There is nowhere in the world that needs educating about us and our way of life. We don't have to stand up for our white oppressed brothers getting stoned to death or imprisoned for life without trial in Africa and Asia. This is part of a bigger picture.

I will agree to disagree with you though.

I get the point you're making, but how many people has Ellen Page just saved from stoning? If she was from one of those countries or did extensive work there, it would actually be a big deal and might actually help those people. She's not. She's a white Canadian woman in an industry with welcomes homosexuals with open arms. As for damaging her career, I'd argue the opposite. The NFL guy and recent football players who have come out are brave and should be applauded. Ellen Page is not in the same sutuation.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Rebel Child

I agree, it'd be really fucking awesome if these stories about coming out -weren't- news stories.

But for that to happen...

People would need to be more accepting...

Or at least understanding.

But that's not the case.

It's not the case for race relations (still) and it's definitely not the case for homosexuality, bisexuality, etc etc.

So it's going to be in the news just as much as murders, riots, politics, etc etc until then.

Because it's really not about the people who don't give a fuck who shags who.

It's about those who do give a  fuck for all the wrong reasons and think that those who do so should be condemned.

Either they be in the US, Canada, the UK, Europe, etc etc.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Dorling on February 16, 2014, 03:29:01 PM
Like I said before though, we have no idea what it's like to be intimidated about being honest about who we are, because we are 'normal.' We will never 'feel the need' to do this because as white, heterosexual, English speaking men, you and I have no prejudices or oppression to deal with. There is nowhere in the world that needs educating about us and our way of life. We don't have to stand up for our white oppressed brothers getting stoned to death or imprisoned for life without trial in Africa and Asia. This is part of a bigger picture.

I will agree to disagree with you though.

Much like I don't know what it feels like to be short, ginger, disabled and a whole host of other things, I still cant remember the last time I heard about groups of the previous mentioned three having such a platform on which their plight is constantly 'news worthy opinion'...and you know what I wouldn't care to jump on that bandwagon of interest either. If we all didn't give a shit about this sort of stuff in the first place...none of it would be news and people who are "different from the norm" or whatever the justification for making this news is wouldnt feel the need to.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Dorling

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on February 17, 2014, 01:00:08 AM
Much like I don't know what it feels like to be short, ginger, disabled and a whole host of other things, I still cant remember the last time I heard about groups of the previous mentioned three having such a platform on which their plight is constantly 'news worthy opinion'...and you know what I wouldn't care to jump on that bandwagon of interest either. If we all didn't give a shit about this sort of stuff in the first place...none of it would be news and people who are "different from the norm" or whatever the justification for making this news is wouldnt feel the need to.

Until the world is as educated as us, this is just optimistic and impossible though. I'm not saying that everybody should care Ellen Page is gay - it makes no difference to my life whatsoever - but it's not us that it's supposed to make a difference to.

Quote from: Kirk on February 16, 2014, 07:37:12 PM
I get the point you're making, but how many people has Ellen Page just saved from stoning? If she was from one of those countries or did extensive work there, it would actually be a big deal and might actually help those people. She's not. She's a white Canadian woman in an industry with welcomes homosexuals with open arms. As for damaging her career, I'd argue the opposite. The NFL guy and recent football players who have come out are brave and should be applauded. Ellen Page is not in the same sutuation.

She probably hasn't saved anyone,  but she is high profile and the more people in the public eye that can show the world that it makes no difference whether you're gay or not,  the more other people of influence will take notice and the more pressure can be put on those who persecute.

And I'm not necessarily talking about Africa when the US is passing laws that make it ok to persecute homosexuals.

jagilki

Here's my... dislike(?) on these kind of news stories, and this only goes for certain websites.

Celeb/Sports Person/ETC. Comes out "Yay, good for him/her.  he/she, is so brave, etc. etc. etc."

Politician lives in the closet, doesn't come out, but same website finds proof that they are gay. "Look at "____" They are gay.  Shame, SHAME!  SHAME!"

Fnord

I already thought she was gay...

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Jon

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

jagilki

unfortunately, it's set to "Midas."