Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

OUT OF CHARACTER BOARD

Started by Ian "Wolfie" Trumps, May 04, 2012, 10:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Quote from: Cory on March 28, 2013, 10:17:32 AM
So anyone wanna hook a brother up with an excel of info? :D

I'll have mine done tonight or this weekend.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

GM Franchise

I'll have FBL Franchised and Predictions League Final Scores done today.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

J-Reb

It's a slow day in the office and I've got literally nothing to work on - so, I decided that I'd put mess around with some FBL stats.  I'll do one of these for every position in the FBL but started with point guards - one of the most competitive positions in the league.

I came up with a formula to try and decide definitively who was the best PG in the FBL.  Basically, I took in to account three major statistical categories - points scored, assists and steals per game.  I gave bonuses for players who performed above league average and took away points for turnovers per game.  Players who served as captain of their team also received an additional bonus.  The final metric was contract value - did the statistical value of the player equal their contract?  If so, they received a bonus.

I realize there is more than statistics to a player but the top-10 came out much as I would have anticipated.

Anywhere, here goes nothing:

Best of FBL: Point Guards
Season 12

1. J.J. Rogers (Texas Stallions) - Composite Score: 18.9
2. Ricky Hallmark (Virginia Colonials) - Composite Score: 17.8
3. Leighton Lee (Tampa Bay Dragons) - Composite Score: 15.8
4. Champ Martin (Roswell Aliens) - Composite Score: 14.4
5. Nick Gravin (Montana Bears) - Composite Score: 14.2
6. Jay Chill (Kentucky Hayseeds) - Composite Score: 12.4
7. Ernie Bell (Mississippi Steamers) - Composite Score: 11.6
8. Ben Williams (Anchorage Glaciers) - Composite Score: 10.8
9. Bobby Chang (Providence Diamonds) - Composite Score: 10.6
10. Chico Valez (Seattle Toppers) - Composite Score: 10.3

No surprises really in the top-10.  J.J. Rogers has claim to being one of the top players in all of the FBL, if not *the* best, so it isn't any surprise that he's number one by a wide margin.  Ricky Hallmark and Leighton Lee have been at the top of the position for a few seasons now and Lee continues to rise.  Probably the biggest snub in our list is Dre Majors, Puerto Rico's new starting PG, who didn't even register in our top 15, falling behind backups James Cross and Jamal Tees.

The next five went like this - J.R. Valentine (Hollywood; 10.2), Flan Bulous (Las Vegas; 10), Jimmy Street (Boise; 9.4), James Cross (Virginia; 9.4), and Jamal Tees (Roswell; 8.4).

My list didn't include rookies because we aren't quite sure what we're getting with them quite yet.  It isn't a stretch to say Cam Drake (San Diego) and Tim McDonald (Pittsburgh) will challenge for a spot among the leagues best next season - both seem to have clear paths to putting up big numbers, especially McDonald with Robbie Wright in Pittsburgh free-falling.  Ben Daniels is blocked in Kentucky behind Chill and Thomas Morgan, but could challenge Morgan for a starting SG slot next season.

Among back-up PG's, San Diego's James Storm (4.2) and Birmingham's Tiny Scott (5.36) finished last in our statistical analysis.

Finally, here's how we'd rank the PG's of the FBL in tiers:

Tier 1
J.J. Rogers - Texas
Ricky Hallmark - Virginia
Leighton Lee - Tampa Bay

Tier 2
Champ Martin - Roswell
Nick Gravin - Montana
Jay Chill - Kentucky

Tier 3
Ernie Bell - Mississippi
Ben Williams - Anchorage
Bobby Chang - Providence
Cam Drake - San Diego
Chico Valez - Seattle
J.R. Valentine - Hollywood
Flan Bulous - Las Vegas

Tier 4
Jimmy Street - Boise
James Cross - Virginia
Jamal Tees - Roswell
Dre Majors - Pittsburgh
Tim McDonald - Pittsburgh
Chui Mai - Honolulu
Mossimo Torre - Texas
Rey Rodrigo - Anchorage

Tier 5
Reggie Ferndale - Birmingham
Flash Davis - Boise
Suziki Hondo - Puerto Rico
Washington Owens - Boston
Spearky Weasel - Honolulu
T.J. Bailey - Birmingham
Bobby Band - Tampa Bay
Ben Daniels - Kentucky
Robbie Wright - Pittsburgh

Tier 6
Butch Paul - Providence
Tiny Scott - Birmingham
James Storm - San Diego

Thanks for reading!

Dorling

I'm surprised Chi Chi Gonzalez doesn't feature - he was my starting PG most of last season and in the early games was going crazy, getting up to 20 assists per game. Was he used in your calculations Reb?

J-Reb

Quote from: Dorling on March 28, 2013, 12:50:00 PM
I'm surprised Chi Chi Gonzalez doesn't feature - he was my starting PG most of last season and in the early games was going crazy, getting up to 20 assists per game. Was he used in your calculations Reb?

Virginia is playing him at the SG position this season, so, he didn't qualify for the PG spot this season. 

Dorling

I would have been interested to see how he stacked up last year though.

GM Franchise

FBL Franchised, Vol. 13 –
Playoffs and Preseason Edition:

FBL Franchised is back and here's the story of the post season. The Kentucky Hayseeds won the FBL Championship again beating the Seattle Toppers. After that was the draft and all offseason moves. This is my analysis of the teams.

Boise Spuds-
This team had higher ratings than I expected. The trio of Walton, Rogers, and Street will net them some points. However I am worried about Street and Davis becoming the new Foxy Street considering both have had off court issues with partying in the past. I like the pick up of Class as a coach but Tony Luco as a player coach I have reservations about. Strip club pole destruction incident anyone. I also like the drafting of Baldo and Treble.

Montana Bears –
Gravin, Frazier, and Dallas are the clear leaders on this team and will make this team a force to be reckoned with in the West. However the supporting class isn't as good as last season with the loss of Harry Allan. Bryan Carty was a good draft pick but with Roy Ferndale, Scottie Tanner, and Craig Gary this team will struggle to reach the level of success they have had the last two seasons.

Kentucky Hayseeds –
Best overall team in the league. WOW. You know the team is good when your lowest rated player is Jose Cabellero. Solid team all around. However what worries me is Freddie Bishop's expiring contract this offseason as well as the expiring contract of Jose Caballero. Other than that expecting a repeat of last season.

Providence Diamonds –
Diamonds will take a step back this season in my opinion after their magical playoff run last year. Nick Bliss is a disaster waiting to happen. The moment he became a prepper all hope was lost. Kadeon Apollo FINALLY is playing to his ability level and Cunningham and Chang make up a killer young combo but the supporting cast is going to be a problem. Dusty Britches was a good draft choice and Butch Paul should take over the starting SG spot from Bliss but Newton and Bliss will lower this team with the trade of Kradle.

Tampa Bay Dragons –
The big three of Leighton Lee, Reggie Jones, and Blue Reed has now become a big five with the additions of Bernie Class and Malcolm Hayes who was the steal of the draft. I like the combining of Bobby Band and Tony Braize. Jack O'Neal being on a four year contract...yeah, don't like that. And for 3 million? Pfft. That guy sucks. Other than that I see playoff contender in this team.

Honolulu Volcanoes –
My team should be interesting to watch. Kolo Rolo was a solid edition as was Chui Mai. Jason Howard and Jarrett McLoo were decent draft picks that can learn from big man Country Sampson. Fred Flanders is going to be a project that I hope works out. Some of the contracts are high but likely Franchise didn't want to rock the boat too much given his horrible reputation...I mean, he needed to get them lower. *ahem* Ok, I do like Jarrett McLoo. Another possible steal considering he was the last guy on the draft list him being a D+ is a pleasant surprise although I do think his rating is high possibly because of someone taking a chance on him and *crosses fingers* hopefully he rewards me for my gamble. Only Weasel remains from last season's horrid Volcanoes team and that's a good thing. Best Franchise team since season six. Wont contend for the playoffs but will win games here and there.

Anchorage Glaciers –
All FBL Defensive Team all on one team. Much like Kentucky there is no weak point on this team. Also interesting to note that there's four international players on this team as well. However there is one glaring problem for this team long term. I like what I see on paper and think they are a candidate to win the Western Conference Championship this season but they have three contracts expiring after this season which will be a problem for GM Rebel considering he only has 5 mil in cap space and likely will only be able to resign one out of Ben Williams, Rey Rodrigo, and Gary Boldeer.

Las Vegas Aces –
Another solid overall team in Vegas put together by GM Dorling. Bringing in Bamba Smalls was HUGE. However Eddie Lights and Redford Shack are going to start showing their age this season in my opinion. Getting rid of Chi Chi, who is a punk, will do wonders for this team morale wise. I gotta side with Shack in the Chi Chi/Shack feud after how that little punk treated me this offseason...*ahem* I mean Shack is a good judge of character. Flan Bulous, Smalls, Lights, and Shack all on one team is scary. Odemwuyio, Remo, Mission, and Yallop are all solid as well. Solid team all around.

Wyoming Wolves –
Looking over this team I think it'll be a long season in Wyoming. Griffin, Kurtz, and Swoop are the clear big three. However the rest of this team is atrocious and I mean that in the nicest way possible. You know it's bad when Melvin Smarts is the fourth best player on the team and likely starting point guard. Brock Landers is a turnover maching waiting to happen, Hans Fuhr and Jamie Dawson are not starting level centers, and Darren McGwire has gotten worse each season. This team is the top candidate to win the draft lottery just going by how they look on paper and not even factoring in Moses Franks being the assistant coach. That might be a good thing so they can draft a scoring big man next season.

Texas Stallions –
Stallions are going to be a major contender for the FBL Championship again with this line up. JJ Rogers, Miles Peters, Caleb Toom, Mack Ryan, Gun Lugasoon, and Massimo Torre make up a solid six man rotation. Add in the majorly improved Nick Standers and rookie Ernest Trash you have one of the best eight man rotations in the league. Top level team in Texas.

Hollywood Stars –
Hollywood has a great six man rotation with JR Valentine, Harry Allan, Brian Beast, Deshawn Drummond, Reg Blackstock, and Sunshine Stream. Getting Allan may be the catalyst that puts this team over the top. However Sammy Bach and Echo Walls are two guys I don't see much potential in. Good thing Bach is only on a one year deal. However the other six guys are great and this team will be a scoring machine out West.

Birmingham Green Hornets –
Like the starting five of Ferndale, George, Hurtado, Dreams, and Umjumbo. TJ Bailey is a strong sixth man. Tiny Scott and Chuckles are the weak points but with Chuckles having a ring now he will likely play better. Those two are also on one year contracts so they can upgrade next season. Solid team but will likely challenge for the playoffs next season.

Boston Bells –
Bells overall have one of the most solid teams in the league. However there is one thing that worries me about this team and it's the fact they're playing SIX rookies. SIX! Sure they have good ratings but the leadership will be lacking. Washington Owens and Rex Holly being brought together is a plus. Hank Gray is a bit up there in age which might be a problem considering they have ONLY two guys who can play Center and PF. REALLY bad decision there not to get another big man. Cheese King redeems GM Stoner but the lack of a big man will hurt them as this season progresses.

Virginia Colonials –
This team has a solid eight man rotation. Hallmart, Danberry, Cross, Chi Chi, Chin Chik, Zack Fields, and Chris Perkins are a solid seven man rotation. Duke Brisco is going to be a project from the looks of it. GM Shields might want to think about starting Perkins at SF. This team should be a playoff contender again this season. East is deep but they should challenge for a playoff spot with this line up. Cross and Chik are in contract years which should be a priority as well.

Puerto Rico Waves –
This team is going to be a contender again. WOW. Damore Richards and Troy Marshall might be one of the best combinations in the league. Add in Dre Majors, who is an upgrade over Robbie Wright, and Larry Stevens you get a monster team. Not to mention Djem Maluka and Suziki Hondo you have a solid seven man rotation. Marcus Wear...yeah, this guy sucks. And a two year contract?! That's a "Franchise Signing" if I ever saw one.

San Diego Seagulls –
Cam Drake is the star of the future. Smart move getting him. Drake, Michael Free, Matt Foster, Bonba Elbomu, and Findi Muwama make up a solid starting five. The bench of James Storm, Paul Wheeter, and Mark Peck is a major weakness. I like this team on paper but if any of the starters gets injured or has foul trouble then GM Jon should worry. A work in progress and will be a playoff contender next season if they make the right personnel moves.

Mississippi Steamers –
Getting Ernie Bell, Dennise Reigns, Ronnie Standers, and Ramick Lazco around Krease McCool has created a dangerous team. I also think that Kev Standers was a good draft pick. One of the best picks in the draft. Ching Bu will be a project as will Chuck Ginge. This team overall is solid but there's better teams out east. Also Stanza's contract is expiring so that's something that will be a priority for GM Powers in my opinion.

Pittsburgh Blades –
In my opinion this team is Mutu Mukwaza, Creed Jackson, Tim McDonald, and the Little Rascals. This team is probably the worst in the East going by what I'm seeing. Robbie Wright is a bust. Blades fans are lucky that GM Pancho drafted McDonald and only have Wright on a one year contract. Vlakov, Fernando, and Marks all were bad free agent pick ups. Micah Grey I'm so-so on. I like his ability as a player but don't think he's the answer at SG. Going to be a long season in Pittsburgh.

Roswell Aliens –
Champ Martin, Sean Rivers, and Jamal Tees got some back up this season in the form of Scott Fletcher, Cal Roberts, and Chris Flynn. Marty Brown and Randy Ferndale will be projects. Brown was not a good pick. Luckily the Aliens got Roberts and can switch Roberts to C, Flynn to PF, and can move Brown to the bench to develop him. Overall I like this team and with the addition of Roberts and Fletcher that's going to make this team a playoff contender and a Western Conference Championship contender. Also Flynn, Roberts, and Fletcher  all only have one year contracts so there's that issue as well.

Seattle Toppers –
Joe Harding, Rich Deane, Chico Velez, and Ronko are back and have some back up this season. Vernon Nelson is in Seattle and that's a HUGE pick up for this team. Also CC Ale was a great pick up. Kris Keys and Truck Lynch will be great bench players for this team. This team is better than last season's team and will compete for the Western Conference Championship again with this team. Going to be a good season in Seattle.

Season 12 Predictions:

MVP: Troy Marshall
DPotY: Kolo Rolo
6th Man: Sunshine Stream
Rookie of the Year: Cam Drake

All FBL Team
PG: JJ Rogers
SG: Damore Richards
SF: Troy Marshall
PF: Kamil Bennett
C: Redford Shack

West Playoff Teams: Aces, Toppers, Aliens, Glaciers

East Playoff Teams: Hayseeds, Waves, Stallions, Colonials

FBL Champion: Hayseeds over Glaciers

Free agents at the end of Season 12 –
Billy Russell
Lincoln Frazier
Grizla Valinka
Freddie Bishop
Jose Caballero
Butch Paul
Bael Giankopolis
Chui Mai
Country Sampson
Ben Williams
Rey Rodrigo
Gary Boldeer
Flan Bulous
Remo
Miles Peters
Gun Lugasoon
Brian Beast
Sammy Bach
Tiny Scott
Chuckles Tree
Chin Chik
James Cross
Djem Maluka
Suziki Hondo
Larry Stevens
Ronnie Stanza
Ramicl Lazco
Ching Bu
Robbie Wright
Hdjak Vlakov
Scott Fletcher
Chris Flynn
Cal Roberts
Vernon Nelson
Kris Keys

That's all for now. This is GM Franchise signing off.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

jagilki

Billy Russell isn't a free agent.....

jagilki

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

On a slightly related note the FA pdf has been updated
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

J-Reb

Quote from: Dorling on March 28, 2013, 12:56:19 PM
I would have been interested to see how he stacked up last year though.

Running through the same metrics - he would have had a composite score of: 8.4  His scoring brings him down a little but he'd rank among the league leaders in APG (which is obvious due to the massive numbers he was putting up at the beginning of the season).

Rob

First, Butch Paul will not be a free agent. He is a better player than Nik Bliss and will most likely start ahead of him now. Second, I don't see where I've taken a step back? Sure, Kradle was graded at C+ but he wasn't good enough to be a starter or a captain. Foster may have been fitter than Britches, that's yet to be seen, BUT, I have a better choice in captain in Apollo, I have a PF who actually plays in the PF position, that is undeniable. Aside from the Bliss trade I'd like to know where exactly I've fallen back? My bench this season might not be as strong but my starters are definitely a lot stronger.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Hondo

One thing you have to remember is Ian knows a lot more about what's happening with these teams that even we do. And the Inside the FBL isn't just an entertainment piece, it also offers clues and hints into the game itself. So if the ItF guys are saying someone is about to make a mistake, heed the warning.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Dorling

I also think you may have misinterpreted James' list Rob, as it's a list of players with just one year left on their contracts, so they will all be free agents if no action is taken.