Comic Book Movies Thread(thanks you fucking Asian)

Started by Gary, January 13, 2011, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Gary on January 14, 2011, 11:30:43 AM
I would see why they would do it for Superman though, his first movie came out in the late 70s and unless the newer generation has seen Smallville, they would kinda need an origin for those new fans who probably dont know what the fuck Superman is about.

Total tangent here...never liked Superman.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Gary

Yeah Superman is very polarizing, either you love him or you  dont like me cause you think he's boring. Was never a big fan of big blue till Smallville.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

GM Franchise

Quote from: Mike Storm on January 14, 2011, 04:01:00 AM
Hey it could be worse, you could have Arnie playing Dr Freeze

I actually liked Arnie as Mr. Freeze. That was one of the greatest comedy characters in movie history:

Mr. Freeze: What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Gary

Quote from: The Franchise on January 14, 2011, 05:02:26 PM
I actually liked Arnie as Mr. Freeze. That was one of the greatest comedy characters in movie history:

Mr. Freeze: What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age.

You sir are now in timeout, go to the corner.

[/center]

GM Franchise

Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Marq on January 14, 2011, 11:09:05 AM
Right, Ian -- let the actors act, I say. The "Fantastic Four" movies, as bad as they were, proved that they can still be enjoyable as long as the casting's on the spot -- Chris Evans, in particular. And SPEAKING of which...

Now THAT looks like a good, practical & faithful representation of a classic Marvel superhero.

! JDM The Professional !

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Jonny Worldbeater

BTW, just in case you're curious and wanted to know what the last piece of Marvel material I've read was, it was this:

[spoiler]

I saw this issue as a trade paperback at the library and decided to give it a try. I didn't get past this page because it was so patronising, alienating and downright stupid to me, coupled with the fact that for something like 40 pages that I skimmed through, or the majority of the first 2 collected issues, Spider-Man does not appear as Spider-Man in his own book, and I haven't wanted to touch another Marvel book since.

It doesn't help their case either that I've heard precisely zero positive feedback on any Marvel book for at least 4 years now, the last decent one I know of being Spider-Man: Back in Black. The only good thing I've heard about from the main Marvel line are the Deadpool books, and when the joke character is your headliner that's not a good thing.

The only other books I know of that are any good are Nextwave by Warren Ellis and parts of The Runaways, which seem a lot more like indie comics anyway, so you could argue whether or not they even count.

But hey, if you know of some great Marvel comic from the last 5 years that I should totally go out of my way to check out, please give me a recommendation. Though based on recent the big crossover event comics like House of M, Civil War and Ultimatum, or most modern event comics in general eg. Identity Crisis or Countdown, it'd have to be the equivalent of finding the holy grail before I gave another one of those a look.

Also, I'm not reading Kick-Ass. The movie was more than enough for me.

In fact, with the possible exception of Superman: Red Son, I have very little interest in Mark Millar. From what of his work I have seen I've developed a strong distaste for the guy.

I don't wanna go into all the reasons, but in general my opinion of the guy is:

That's just my 2 cents anyway.[/spoiler]

Marq

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on January 15, 2011, 02:55:23 AM
Now THAT looks like a good, practical & faithful representation of a classic Marvel superhero.

I agree, the costume's a great compromise between the classic look and the modernized look from the "Ultimates" book. Now, I'm not sure, but I heard that for "The Avengers," they might actually be updating the suit again as the Cap movie will be taking place during WWII. Hopefully, that translates into something even more cool. Regardless, I'm really stoked for Cap, if only 'cause the costume is probably the most faithful they can get without it looking hokey.

As for new stuff to read, JB, it's another glorified "What If?" book -- but check out "Old Man Logan" if you can. Granted, I'm not a gushing Mark Millar fan (though I do enjoy his work), but it's a hell of a story with some really interesting choices, creatively. It's best I say no more to preserve some of the shock. :)
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

jagilki

I'm stoked for Cap just because he and Thor are in my top five fave comic characters.

Gary

[/center]

Russ

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on January 15, 2011, 02:04:12 PM
*kills man*

Guy: Why did you kill him?

Mr. Freeze: He wasn't 'cool' enough.

;)

Icey what you did there.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Kieran King

I'm a little late to the discussion here, I know...

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on January 15, 2011, 06:33:03 PM

But hey, if you know of some great Marvel comic from the last 5 years that I should totally go out of my way to check out, please give me a recommendation. Though based on recent the big crossover event comics like House of M, Civil War and Ultimatum, or most modern event comics in general eg. Identity Crisis or Countdown, it'd have to be the equivalent of finding the holy grail before I gave another one of those a look.

Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men (issues 1-24, covering from 2004 to 2006) is well worth a read. It probably lags a little through the Dangerous story-arc (around issue 7), but you kind of need the first half of the issues to set up the second half. The first story arc was also given Wizard's book of the year award in 2004, but publications like that can be fickle anyway.

Honestly, as a comic nerd, especially when it comes to Marvel, I think the last ten years have seen some of the best stories I've read. I love the cross-over events like House of M, Civil War, etc. but I'll admit that if you expand out into all the tie-ins it becomes a bit muddled. Sticking to the core story however gives you an enjoyable read.

And I really don't see how Spider-Man looks emo in that picture just because he hasn't done his hair. I don't really expect Peter Parker to be using product anyway, especially not when he's clearly only had time after the fight to take his mask off, and is still in costume otherwise. I may not understand why they're rebooting so soon after the last movie, even though I never liked Tobey Maguire in the role, but all that one picture shows me is how the costume will look. Let us not forget the true emo Spider-Man:

Marq

Quote from: Kieran King on January 17, 2011, 02:36:24 PM
I'm a little late to the discussion here, I know...

Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men (issues 1-24, covering from 2004 to 2006) is well worth a read. It probably lags a little through the Dangerous story-arc (around issue 7), but you kind of need the first half of the issues to set up the second half. The first story arc was also given Wizard's book of the year award in 2004, but publications like that can be fickle anyway.

Honestly, as a comic nerd, especially when it comes to Marvel, I think the last ten years have seen some of the best stories I've read. I love the cross-over events like House of M, Civil War, etc. but I'll admit that if you expand out into all the tie-ins it becomes a bit muddled. Sticking to the core story however gives you an enjoyable read.

And I really don't see how Spider-Man looks emo in that picture just because he hasn't done his hair. I don't really expect Peter Parker to be using product anyway, especially not when he's clearly only had time after the fight to take his mask off, and is still in costume otherwise. I may not understand why they're rebooting so soon after the last movie, even though I never liked Tobey Maguire in the role, but all that one picture shows me is how the costume will look. Let us not forget the true emo Spider-Man:

If I'm not mistaken, Sony was contracted for six -- but Raimi pulled out of the fourth. Because of that, more or less everyone else both cast and crew-wise pulled out too, so this is more Sony wanting to get the rest of the movies out. Essentially, a studio that owns the rights to a character have to churn out the movies so they don't end up losing the rights, and for better or for worse, Spider-Man will make Sony money, hence moving on without Raimi at the helm.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Kieran King

Oh, so it's the same sort of deal where the Superman reboot is currently in early production stages because otherwise the Siegel and Shuster families can sue the studio for lack of revenue from the unmade film. That contracts and law nonsense...