NJPW Updates/Spoilers/News/Rumors/Results

Started by Fnord, February 15, 2016, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

I figured since I'll now be watching NJPW a lot, I might as well start a thread like this!

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Fnord

NJPW New Beginning In Niigata Results (2/14): Big Title Change, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson, More

! No longer available

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Beginning In Niigata Results from 2/14/16.

[spoiler]* Bullet Club (Cody Hall, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) defeated Captain New Japan, Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask

* reDRagon (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly) defeated CHAOS (Gedo and Kazushi Sakuraba)

* Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Matt Sydal, Ricochet and Satoshi Kojima defeated David Finlay, Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi and Yuji Nagata

* Los Ingobernables de Japón (Evil and Tetsuya Naito) defeated Jay White and Michael Elgin

* The Briscoes and Toru Yano defeated Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) (c) to become NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Champions.

* CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii and Yoshi-Hashi) (with Gedo) defeated Hirooki Goto, Juice Robinson and Katsuyori Shibata

* KUSHIDA (c) defeated Bushi to retain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

* G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma) (c) defeated Bullet Club (Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson) (w/ Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga) to retain the IWGP Tag Team Championships

* Kenny Omega (w/ Cody Hall and Yujiro Takahashi) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the vacant IWGP Intercontinental Championship[/spoiler]

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Drama Queen

Hah, I just posted about the six man tag in FWL updates :)

Duckman

That Omega v Tanahashi match is a MOTY candidate for sure.

Plus a total star making performance for Omega (who is replacing AJ Styles as the top foreign guy in the company), plus it protected the IC Title and Tanahashi in losing.  Gedo is without a doubt the best booker in pro wrestling and has been for a number of years now.  Vince reckons it takes 18 months to make a star.  Gedo did it in one match.  Granted Omega had to deliver in the ring, and he did, but the booking here was sublime.

Also, Kushida v Bushi was a ton of fun.  As was the Tag Title match.  Solid second show from NJPW.  Go out of your way to see the main event.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Fnord

'NJPW Honor Rising' Day 1 Results: ROH Title Change, Anderson & Gallows Vs. Briscoes

Here are results for day 1 of NJPW Honor Rising

[spoiler]
* Jushin "Thunder" Liger & Matt Sydal def. Dalton Castle & Ryusuke Taguchi by pinfall with Liger pinning Castle (Fun Opener)

* Delirious def. Gedo by Pinfall

* KUSHIDA def. Frankie Kazarian by submission (Would've like a few more minutes in this one. Good match still)

Tomoaki Honma, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Moose & Michael Elgin def. Cody Hall, Yujiro Takahashi, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale by pinfall with Moose pinning Cody Hall. Elgin was a monster in this one. Not much from Tanahashi or Honma. Moose and Elgin carried the load.

Intermission

* The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega def. Katsuyori Shibata, Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly by pinfall with Omega pinning O'Reilly. Fast paced and super fun match. Best of the morning so far.

* Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson def. The Briscoes by pinfall streaming issues didn't let me see who made pinfall on Mark Briscoe. Fun hard hitting match between 2 my personal favorite tag teams today.

* Tetsuya Naito & Jay Lethal (w/ Truth Martini) def. YOSHI-HASHI & Kazuchika Okada by pinfall with Lethal pinning Yoshi-Hashi

* Tomohiro Ishii def. ROH World Television Champion Roderick Strong (c) by pinfall to win the title. Brutal match, definitely MOTN with a surprise finish with Ishii winning the ROH TV Championship.
[/spoiler]

Fnord

NJPW Honor Rising Day 2 Results: Jay Lethal Defends, Karl Anderson & Drew Gallows Say Goodbye

[spoiler]
* Jay White defeated David Finlay super entertaining opener. stream issues missed finish sequence.

* Jushin "Thunder" Liger & Matt Sydal defeated Gedo & Delirious Sydal gets the pin after Shooting Star Press on Gedo. Good match

* Dalton Castle defeated Frankie Kazarian by pinfall with a face down spinning powerbomb. Fun match with back and forth action and lots of near falls. Even though he lost both times, Kaz looked great this weekend.

* Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata, Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly defeated Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson by pinfall with Shibata pinning Gallows after the PK. Wow awesome match. Fans near the finish where loud like a US or UK crowd, it was great. After the match, Anderson and Gallows bow to fans and get emotional in center ring as fans thank them for everything. Awesome moment, one of those you only get from pro wrestling.

Intermission started at 5:34 AM ET, the show resumed at 5:44 AM ET

* KUSHIDA & Moose defeated Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI by pinfall after Moose hit BUSHI with a Spear. OK match that was just kinda there. Fans in Japan seem pretty into Moose though. BUSHI didn't work Day 1, but I thought KUSHIDA, Moose and Naito had better performances yesterday.

* Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin & Roderick Strong defeated YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii & Kazuchika Okada by pinfall with Elgin pinning HASHI after the Bucklebomb to sit out powerbomb. Bodies where everywhere this was a hell of a six man. Ishii and Strong picked up where they left off yesterday and signs point to a rematch possibly at the ROH 14th Anniversary when NJPW officials and young boys could barely separate them after the match.

* NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship: Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks defeated Toru Yano & The Briscoes (c) by pinfall when Omega pinned Yano. More gold for The Bullet Club. Two amazing 6 Man Tags in a row. My pick for MOTN so far.

* ROH World Championship: Jay Lethal (c) defeated Tomoaki Honma by pinfall with the Lethal Injection. Run in by Los Ingobernables ended Honma after the ref went down. Fun match that had the crowd split about 60/40 for Honma. Jay Lethal has been great for over a year now as ROH Champ and it's been fun to watch. The house of Truth join Los Ingobernables to end the show.
[/spoiler]

Fnord

This shirt from the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega trying to taunt The New Day is awesome.

Fnord

'NJPW New Japan Cup' Day One Results: Tanahashi Vs. Bad Luck Fale, Ishii, Goto Vs. Nagata

New Japan Cup First Round:
Toru Yano def. Yujiro Takahashi by count-out very short match with Bullet Club tryin to cheat, but Yano hits a low blow at 19 and rolled in the ring to beat the count.

Michael Elgin def. Hiroyoshi Tenzan by pinfall with the buckle bomb to spinout powebomb. Super hard hitting contest. These 2 suprised me with the pace they kept. Elgin is my Darkhorse to win the cup this year

Tama Tonga def. Togi Makabe by pinfall with a stalling double arm DDT. Huge upset in my eyes as Makabe was a favorite to go far in this tournament. These 2 brought a good intensity to the match. I would like to see more matches between the 2 of them.

Satoshi Kojima def. Tomoaki Honma by pinfall with a huge larriet. The fans enjoyed this more than I did I am not as high on Honma as the fans over there seem to be. Still a fun match.

Kazushi Sakuraba & Kazuchika Okada def. KUSHIDA & Katsuyori Shibata by pinfall when Okada hit The Rainmaker on KUSHIDA. Great match. After the match Will Osprey appeared on screen and challenged KUSHIDA for the IWGP Jr. Championship

Hirooki Goto def. Yuji Nagata by pinfall with a Figure Four cradle pin. Brutal match with some big chops and kicks. Nagata got cocky at the end when he could have gotten the pin but he kept picking Goto up. Goto reversed a Side Suplex and went into the Reverse Figure Four and sat down for the pin.

Tetsuya Naito def. YOSHI-HASHI by pinfall when Naito hit a standing sliced bread no.2 another great match. Its between this and the Tag match for MOTN so far in my opinion.

Tomohiro Ishii def. EVIL by pinfall with a decapitating Lariet. Wow... Just wow. I have been watching NJPW faithfully for a few months now and I think since Nakamura went to WWE, Ishii has been my favorite competitor to watch. I love his intensity. My new pick for MOTN so hopefully the Main Event can stand with these last 2 matches.

Bad Luck Fale def. Hiroshi Tanahashi by pinfall after a Razor's Edge. They told a great story of Tanahashi not being able to do much with the size and weight advantage of Fale. Not the best match but still fun.

I look forward to watching this!

Fnord

I'm really enjoying NJPW. I thank Drama and FWL for getting me into it!

Invasion Attack 2016 Card

Tag Team Match
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Juice Robinson and Ryusuke Taguchi

Six-Man Tag Team Match
Chaos (Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano and Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Satoshi Kojima and Yuji Nagata

Tag Team Match
Chaos (Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japón (Bushi and Evil)

Tag Team Match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
Matt Sydal and Ricochet (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Baretta and Rocky Romero)

Singles Match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Kushida (c) vs. Will Ospreay

Six-Man Tag Team Match for the NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship
The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Yoshitatsu

Singles Match for the NEVER Openweight Championship
Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Tag Team Match for the IWGP Tag Team Championship
G.B.H. (Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma) (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa)

Singles Match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito

I am REALLY excited about this card.

Drama Queen

Very enjoyable card all in all. Main event was a bit clustered for my liking, but still a good story and great wrestling nonetheless.

Cory

Heard Cody Hall got fucked up on the Jackson dive, hospitalized and the such.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Drama Queen

Quote from: Cory on April 10, 2016, 08:43:25 PM
Heard Cody Hall got fucked up on the Jackson dive, hospitalized and the such.

He got carried out on a stretcher, wasn't sure if that was planned or not. Thinking about it, he did receive the most impact from it.

BamBamBunglow

What a show. What a fucking show! SANADA?!?!

Duckman

Big FWL points for me this week - thanks Naito!!

Hall was injured, but from WO reports it was just a really bad stinger and he should be ok.

I haven't had a chance to watch the show yet, but will catch it this week.  Looks awesome.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Chris Shields

I haven't watched the full show yet, but the Jr. Tag match was damn good, the NEVER title match was a good match and the kind of old school Vs. new school vibe was pretty cool. Tag match was solid and I really like that Tama Tonga/Tonga Roa team. The Jr. Heavyweight title match was awesome, and that's the first full Will Ospreay match I've seen. Holy shit, that kid is fun to watch. I'm really hoping he's in Best of the Super Juniors, because there could be some fantastic match ups for him.