News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

WWE Brand Split News/Rumors/Discussion

Started by Fnord, February 29, 2016, 06:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

Source: PWInsider Elite

Shane McMahon's WWE return and match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania 32 for the control of RAW got a lot of fans talking about a potential brand split happening again.

Fans aren't the only ones talking about a brand split as there have been rumblings within WWE for several weeks now, even before Shane returned, according to PWInsider. No word yet on exactly what is being discussed or how close they might be to actually executing the idea but there has been at least talk of doing some kind of split with RAW and SmackDown.

It will be very interesting to see if WWE could pull off a brand split with the way business is today. It doesn't sound like NXT would be involved but that wasn't stated in the report. There's also no word on if the stipulation for Hell In a Cell at WrestleMania would tie into the split but it seems like that would be the easiest way to get there.

What do you guys think of a brand split? Would it be "good for business"?

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Cory

I'd be down if they did a draft on the Network again, and have it like the old days where they had a different set of writers on each show. Heyman's Smackdown was the shit in the mid-00s

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

We talked about this in depth on MFX a few weeks back.  While their roster is lacking depth at the moment due to all the injuries, with a few big names coming back and a few key NXT guys being brought up, this could totally work.

Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

BamBamBunglow

Personally, I'm against it. After the original brand split, I watched Smackdown only for a while and then stopped altogether.

Why am I against it this time? the only bright spot in the initial split was that Heyman was writer on Smackdown and they had a glut of great talents he was able to use. This time, there will be no Heyman. He has way, way too many non-WWE commitments and business interests to write full time. So, what youd' end up with is two shows, with separate rosters, with the same writing teams. If they had a *real* booker running one of the shows, it'd be different, but Vince is too much of a control freak for that. It'll be same shit different day, just with half the roster on one day and the other half on the other.

As to the NXT guys getting drafted up - I honestly don't want them to be. I don't want them to be Tyler Breeze'd :(

TL:DR - Brand split would be putting lipstick on a pig right now.

Fnord

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

There has been a lot of speculation about WWE possibly doing a brand split after WrestleMania 32 and this will surely add to the rumors.

For what it's worth and this could be nothing, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that the WWE marketing department recently produced new USA Network graphics for RAW and SmackDown.

The RAW graphic features John Cena, Kevin Owens, Bray Wyatt, Alberto Del Rio, Charlotte and Nikki Bella as the top stars. The SmackDown promo features Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, The New Day, Dolph Ziggler and Paige as the top stars.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Adam Wrong

Well it would make sense with the prospect of Shane owning Raw. Not WWE... but raw.

Drama Queen

I don't mind the idea of the brands splitting up, but I really hope the championships don't split. There really should be just one World champion. And despite the increase in talent, I feel there is not enough depth to have more than one women's championship, and forget about having two tag titles!

I would ideally like to see the IC go to one brand, the US to the other, that would make sense, but all other champions should work both brands I feel.

On the plus side all you people who filled your FWL teams with WWE guys will hopefully see a huge drop in points seeing as people will only be on one show per week  :P

Fnord

I saw something on Facebook from WWE that pretty much said when Smackdown moves to live on Tuesdays in July they are doing a brand split.

J-Reb

Fnord

WWE announced today that WWE SmackDown will be airing live on Tuesday nights on the USA Network starting July 19th. It was also revealed that the show will have its own roster and storylines.

Here is the full statement that WWE sent us this morning:

SMACKDOWN GOING LIVE ON USA NETWORK BEGINNING TUESDAY, JULY 19

SMACKDOWN to Feature Distinct Roster and Storylines

NEW YORK and STAMFORD, CONN – May 25, 2016 -- USA Network, the exclusive cable home to WWE's marquee properties, announced that its weekly SMACKDOWN show will air live – for the first time ever – and move to Tuesdays every week beginning July 19 from 8-10PM ET/PT. With the SMACKDOWN move, USA Network will now offer five hours of live WWE programming a week, including the weekly three-hour live WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW (airing Mondays from 8-11PM ET/PT), with each show featuring a distinct cast, unique storylines and a dedicated writing team.

In 2016 to date, MONDAY NIGHT RAW is averaging 4.011MM total viewers, 1.873MM P25-54 and 1.846MM P18-49 L7, and SMACKDOWN in its current time slot is averaging 2.674MM P2+, 1.136MM P25-54, and 1.058MM P18-49+ L7, making USA the #1 cable entertainment network across the key demos on Monday and Thursday nights. In 2015, the two programs combined reached over 50MM viewers. Both shows will now air live 52 weeks a year.

"The fan base for our WWE shows is one of the most passionate and engaged audiences in all of entertainment," said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. "There is a huge appetite among our viewers for live programming, and the ability to move SMACKDOWN to a live format brings a new level of excitement and helps truly eventize this every week."

"WWE's flagship programs will both leverage the incredible depth of our talent roster, distinct storylines and the unpredictable nature of live TV," said WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon. "This move will undoubtedly build more excitement and deepen engagement with our fans around the world."

Cory

I think this is great news....as much as I fear it'll hurt NXT, it sounds like they MAY be giving Hunter control behind the scenes of one of the shows (probably Smackdown) and he'll run it similar to a NXT (or one can hope). I think with the guys hurt and stuff the call ups from NXT for the guys that are READY may hurt that product....Joe/Balor/AA spring to mind as immediate call ups....but seeing them used on the main roster correctly is the end goal and with all of them not being spring chickens (Joe, Aries), sooner rather than later would work for me.

I wonder if they'll add another world title belt, or have a mini Smackdown PPV on the network a month.

Fnord

I don't think one brand would fill a PPV. I'm thinking it'll be like the last time where they had matches from both brands on one PPV.

Cory

What about two world titles? Having LOLRomanWins, Rollins and LOLCenaWins on Raw, but the potential of Styles/Balor feud for a world title on Smackdown is a fantasy bookers dream, potential reality.

BamBamBunglow

I would kill for an alternate PPV schedule (IE RAW, SD, RAW, SD) - 2 month builds to feuds, insteasd of the cyclical "1 month and done"? hell yes, it'd give guys time to REALLY work.

Throw Cena, Reigns and all Vince's favourites on RAW. Give all the indy guys Smackdown. I'll take thast any day of the week.

Fnord