News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The NHL Topic

Started by Strike, September 04, 2011, 12:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Franchise

My teams are basically the West Coast teams most notably the Canucks and Sharks. I also like the Kings, Ducks, and Coyotes. I also like the Canadiens after their upset playoff run two years ago. Glad the Canucks did good last year and hopefully there's a repeat of that this year but as long as my teams do good I'm happy since I don't really have one team. I'm still getting into hockey but at least I'm starting to watch it more over the past two or three seasons.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Strike

Quote from: James TZ, Calvary Armored Division on September 04, 2011, 05:42:17 PM
My teams are basically the West Coast teams most notably the Canucks and Sharks. I also like the Kings, Ducks, and Coyotes. I also like the Canadiens after their upset playoff run two years ago. Glad the Canucks did good last year and hopefully there's a repeat of that this year but as long as my teams do good I'm happy since I don't really have one team. I'm still getting into hockey but at least I'm starting to watch it more over the past two or three seasons.

On this subject, if the Kings can get Doughty signed up...well, we possibly have a President's Trophy contender from the get-go here. Getting Mike Richards from that Philadelphia trade and adding Gagne to help compliment Anze Kopitar was a fantastic move and with a young team that has been on the rise over the last two seasons, they're only gonna get better.

On a random note, any predictions for how the newly reborn Winnipeg Jets do this season? I have them at around 9th-11th in the Eastern conference, but if Pavelec plays out of his mind and guys like Evander Kane, Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien (BIG BUFF!) keep putting in the effort, Jets could easily grab one of the lower seed playoff spots.

Ty

Aye, being Manitoba born and bred, its tough for me to admit it but all things said and done, 9-11 is a fair prediction

Gates

9-11 is where I've got the Jets finishing. MAYBE 8th, but that will be the highest they reach IMO.

I'm with you on the Kings though. For the past few years I've been touting them as a team to watch out for because of all the youth that they have. Add to what has been said about Doughty, Richards, Kopitar and Gagne, Brown and Penner are also guys who can really help out. The key will be getting Doughty signed up, otherwise they're going to have to fill his spot, which won't be easy.

And Ty, I know what you mean. Some of my friends are the very people you've described, who get in a huff after losing twice in a row, and screaming for the cup after two wins in a row. I tend to be on the outside, making jokes about the team to fuel their fire lol.

Captain Metro

I think I'll agree with the consensus that the Jets finish in that 9-11 spot in the east. I think if Pavelec plays all year like he did during the two month stretch in November and December of last year, then they've got a chance. Otherwise there hopes of making the playoffs are about as fat as Dustin Byfuglien. The east has a depth of quality teams. I think the only one I'll say for certain that has no hope of making the playoff's is Florida, everyone else I could see easily slipping in at eight.

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

Geordie

Quote from: Captain Metro on September 04, 2011, 10:32:10 PM
there hopes of making the playoffs are about as fat as Dustin Byfuglien.
Current topic reference FTW. The Jets have 286 reasons to be worried about him right now (Yes, I know he'll do some weight cutting before the season openers, but it's still irresponsible to be so heavy when the start of camp is roughly ten days away.)

I actually see the Jets down at around 12-13 in the East this season, and here's why: The travel.

They haven't been moved to their rightful place in the Western Conference yet, so it's going to be a punishing schedule to have to meet their Southeast opponents for their road games (Which, with today's schedule configuration, accounts for 12 of their 41 road games.)

The schedule-makers clearly had Atlanta still in mind when they produced the final draft.

It's going to be a TON of travel for them (Far more than any other team in the league this season, I believe), and I imagine that the jet lag is going to catch up with them quicker than the other teams.  It's a shame because, travel aside, I think they have the talent to potentially challenge for a playoff spot.

Quote[Today at 02:28:53 PM] Black Death: i thought  rettop had a raping promo
[Today at 02:28:55 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: I know I did a snippet in a Rettop RP once, is that what you meant?
[Today at 02:28:59 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: ...
[Today at 02:29:02 PM] Black Death: yeah
[Today at 02:29:13 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: I think EVERYONE is sigging that, BD

Ty

Jet... Lag? Score! I'm gonna use that to refer to their mid season slump

Geordie

That was completely unintentional, I swear! ;D

[Today at 02:28:55 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: I know I did a snippet in a Rettop RP once, is that what you meant?

Strike

Quote from: TyTy (formerly Trifecta) on September 05, 2011, 12:36:42 AM
Jet... Lag? Score! I'm gonna use that to refer to their mid season slump

XD

Brilliant.

Geordie

Just noticed that it hadn't been posted in here, but there was a major plane crash in Russia today, killing former NHL players.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375297

Pavol Demitra's death hits close to home for me, as he played a few seasons here for what had been Ottawa's AHL team.  I actually have an autographed stick of his from back then, and he was the guy who left a lasting impression on me.

Too sad, mang.

Strike

So wow, it's been a little while since posting on this...figured I'd spark up the conversation again now that the season's been underway for a little while.

The Avs have been on the up-and-down scale - started fantastically with that five-win streak on the road, dipped badly, hopefully are coming back up now with the last few efforts we've had, so on.

On another note, I am REALLY excited for this season's 24/7 Road to the Winter Classic between the Flyers and the Rangers. It made for great TV last year with the Caps/Pens and the rivalry between Philly and NY is well-recorded...should make for some more great TV. Thoughts, fellas?

Mike Powers

You must've heard about this realignment crap by now.  No more divisions?  4 Conferences?  What.  The.  Fuck.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE it.

Discuss.

Sally Screw

I hate it already as well. With the playoffs changed as well, it now means that teams now have to only play teams in their conference each year. This is part of what killed the Jets way back when Gretzky and the Oilers or the Calgary Flames were the only teams to win the Smythe Division for over a decade. Each year it was the same teams playing each other in the first few rounds, with the same results... real boring for Jets fans.

For3v3r

Oh God. Why are my Leafs turning to shit?  :'(

Doug E Fresh

I'm glad I'm a Penguins fan and not a Bluejackets fan. It's like two extremes.