Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Powers

Quote from: Chris Shields on December 27, 2013, 02:10:50 PM
American Hustle - This is very much a character driven movie, and luckily, you have some some great characters actors playing some very intriguing characters. The plot was interesting, but the kind of back and forth stuff did get confusing at certain times. Still, the movie was very entertaining and there was some great comedy from the characters and their interactions. Really enjoyed this one, plus there's a scene where Jennifer Lawrence is half naked, so that automatically gets it a nice bump. I'm giving this one a 4 out of 5, and it's almost a 5 out of 5, seriously, one of the better movies I've seen in a long time.

Agreed. Just saw it today and it's fantastic. Christian Bale is King of the method actors these days, so needless to say he was great.

! JDM The Professional !

By the end of his career Bale will go down as one of the best.

Really pumped for the wolf of Wallstreet and inside Llewellyn Davis. Both should be amazing!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Anchorman 2...was not as entertaining as the original...
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Adam Wrong

Quote from: Trumpers on December 29, 2013, 06:54:49 AM
Anchorman 2...was not as entertaining as the original...

I actually preferred it to the original. I watched the original before the sequel to get into the mood and I felt the references to the original actually improved it! The nods to the first were brilliant. The laugh out loud moments were well placed and well paced and the overall feel of the movie was epic

GM Franchise

Quote from: M.D.K. on December 29, 2013, 10:05:59 AM
I actually preferred it to the original. I watched the original before the sequel to get into the mood and I felt the references to the original actually improved it! The nods to the first were brilliant. The laugh out loud moments were well placed and well paced and the overall feel of the movie was epic

I felt the same way about it. I liked the second movie better than the original.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Chris Shields

The Wolf of Wall Street - First off, Dicaprio was fucking brilliant, and if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination for this, it will be a travesty. Hell, the movie had some great performances throughout. It pains me to say that Matthew McConaghey (sp?) was fantastic in his part. The guy is a douche, but his performance was great. The blonde that plays his wife, great job from her, and the supporting cast was damn good, minus Jonah Hill who was kind of meh. He played the character well enough, and he worked as the kind of goofy over the top sidekick, but it feels like you could have someone else in the role and it wouldn't have been much different. I will say, it is a long move, but it didn't really drag. Near the end I was ready for them to wrap things up, but you cut like 15 - 20 minutes and that minor complaint is non-existant. I personally loved the movie, and thought it was funny as hell, but I've got a fucked up sense of humor. I'll warn you though, it's not really a date type of movie. Lots of nudity, tons of drugs, there's some straight up debauchery in this movie, but that's part of what makes the whole damn movie. This one is getting a 4 out of 5, but much like American Hustle, it's close to a 5 out of 5.

Justin

Mandela -- It was a good movie, but honestly not as good as I thought it was going to be.  Idris Alba did a great job and whoever played his wife Winnie, did as well.  But for some reason that I can't put my finger on yet, the movie seemed like it lacked the punch I expected it to have.  3/5

Kieran King

Caught The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug last night. Very much a 'more of the same' sort of movie, but this time with Orlando Bloom donning the golden Legolas locks once more. A nice reference to Gimli at one point too. It was watchable, but still begs the question whether 3 movies was necessary for this. And while I found the first Hobbit to be better than the first Lord of the Rings movie, if you compare this one to The Two Towers, then it comes up severely lacking (for the record, The Two Towers is my favourite of the LOTR Trilogy). Still, the third movie should actually be pretty good, because they've saved the biggest action sets, as well as the individual character conclusions for it, so it should just be more satisfying across the board.

Side note: DO NOT watch it in 3D. I did, and it made the visuals look about as impressive as the NeverEnding Story, which clearly is not up to scratch in today's world of effects. Seriously, it just made it look like they filmed a LARP game and threw it on the movie screen, especially during the first hour.

Jonny Worldbeater

I SAW FROZEN TODAY!!!

Yeah, the movie only came out here maybe a week or so ago and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Finally got around to seeing it today and I'd say it definitely lives up to the hype.

It also reminded a lot of that recent Pixar movie Brave (which I also liked) that came out a year or so ago, and I kinda came to the conclusion that this is probably a lot more like what Brave should've been but fell just short of.

But still, I really enjoyed the story they were telling, the messages they were putting across, the relationship between the sisters and the surprising level of depth and sophistication that was put into it, and the clever little subtexts where the characters might be saying something but you know there's something different going on just beneath the surface.

I know a lot of people have also drawn favourable comparisons to the 'Disney Renaissance', and I would really like to see Disney return to form with movies of this calibre becoming a continuing trend.

Also, the 'Let It Go' sequence was a total showstealer, and no doubt I'll have that song in my head for weeks. And I'm kind of okay with that.

¿PapaPancho?

Lone Survivor

- I haven't been that emotionally touched by a movie since End of Watch.  The brutality and reality is so jarring that you cannot but hope in what appears to be a hopeless situation.  I actually downloaded this movie and am going to go out and buy movie tickets to show my support. 

Ty

Watched Saving Mr Banks

It was a great movie, very good. Lacked a punch of any kind but was entertaining throughout. Very artsy. Very propaganda-ish. Walt Disney came off as a super hero.

4/5

Cory

Bad Grandpa

Another movie ruined from the preview commercials. Everything funny that happened in the movie was something that was shown in the commercials. I usually tend to find Jackass entertaining and funny, but this one here was a miss for me.

2/5

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

GM Franchise

Quote from: The TyTy is here! on January 09, 2014, 05:26:57 AM
Watched Saving Mr Banks

It was a great movie, very good. Lacked a punch of any kind but was entertaining throughout. Very artsy. Very propaganda-ish. Walt Disney came off as a super hero.

4/5

I saw this too. I'd give the same rating, 4/5, but disagree about Disney. He didn't across as a superhero in my opinion. He seemed like a normal guy who some personality quirks that is very high strung possibly ADD.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Ty

Yeah, I think I was more comparing him to how he actually came across in the real story (I read a book about this story a few years back). Your right, he came across as a normal, nice guy. IRL, he intimidated the author using legal tactics til she gave in. At the screening, the author was upset and approached Walt who cold shouldered her. She refused to sign for any more Mary Poppins movies after that. The movie was kinda a 'look how great our founder was, yay disney' approach imo

Crazy Kyd

I watched a movie called Escape From Tomorrow. Most of you here will not like this movie but the idea is great. Basically, the crew filmed Escape From Tomorrow at Disneyworld without Disney's knowledge. The story is about this guy who takes his family to the park for a vacation. Before leaving his hotel room he gets fired from his job and throughout the day he starts to see the "horrors" of Disney. The guy basically starts seeing "evil" throughout the park and then eventually meets a witch, who is one of the "villains" of the film. I thought it had a great concept and great execution, considering what the crew had to work with. The acting was pretty good as well, for a low budget production.

There were two scenes that I felt were unnecessary as they were too over-the-top even though they did go with the story. The movie does feel a little too long as well but I was never bored once. I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars.