Cult, Exploitation, B-movie and Horror film thread

Started by Chris Stern, January 03, 2016, 12:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Stern

I recently got back into watching and collecting them since movie collecting is usually still cheaper than what classic game collecting has become(thank you speculators and profiteers for ruining that) if your interested here are some of my more recent pickups: http://imgur.com/a/eTXPh

Just in case anyone doesn't get the terms Cult movies are generally lesser known films that have a small but loyal fan base Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Phantom of the Paradise, The Room, Eddie and the Crusiers, An American Hippie in Israel for example.  Exploitation is a type of film that generally exploits something to attract people to watch the movie like Blood Feast and Wizard of Gore used over the top amounts(for the 1960's) of gore to attract people to watch the movies another example would be Blaxsploitation like Shaft, Super Fly, Foxy Brown which exploited the use of black leads to attract a inner city black audience back in the 70's and B-movies while technically the second film in a double feature( as in movie 1 is the A movie and the second one is B-movie) but now comes to label really low budget, cheesy movies like Plan 9 from outerspace or Birddemic.

Edit: I decided to just turn this into a general discussion thread for Cult, Exploitation, B-movies and the like

Gravedigger

I'm more into slasher films and giallos (Italian horror for those who don't know), but those other genres are good too.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Gravedigger on January 03, 2016, 03:19:47 PM
I'm more into slasher films and giallos (Italian horror for those who don't know), but those other genres are good too.

Slashers and Giallo are cult films and given how sleazy many Giallo's are like New York Ripper, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, ect. they often fall in the exploitation category as well since their American distributors often sold these films on there sleazy content to the old grindhouses of 42 street and hollywood blvd as well as the drive in's. Back then they were seen as hitchock style thrillers for the sleaze loving.   

BTW have you ever seen Blue eyes of the Broken Doll? it was this spanish director's attempt at a giallo. Not bad and if your a glutton for punishment you can also try and sit through Savage Water which is just this pretty sleazy, low rent american giallo filmed in Utah back in the 70's.

Gravedigger

Haven't seen those two. NY Ripper is a good one. Seen a lot of the Argento films (Deep Red is my favorite), most of the late 70s/early 80s cannibal films, and a bunch of others from the genre. Bay of Blood is a good one too. Definite influence on American slashers, especially the Friday the 13th series.

I've done most of my watching from Netflix (still have a DVD plan).... Where do you ft yours?

Chris Stern

Quote from: Gravedigger on January 03, 2016, 03:58:48 PM
Haven't seen those two. NY Ripper is a good one. Seen a lot of the Argento films (Deep Red is my favorite), most of the late 70s/early 80s cannibal films, and a bunch of others from the genre. Bay of Blood is a good one too. Definite influence on American slashers, especially the Friday the 13th series.

I've done most of my watching from Netflix (still have a DVD plan).... Where do you ft yours?

Vinegar Syndrome's Exploitation TV streaming service, Shutter which is AMC's all horror streaming service, Bizarre TV a 24/7 live streaming service which is run by a friend of mine, Hulu which lately has been having alot of interesting stuff like Fulchi's Gates of Hell Trilogy(House by the Cemetery, The Beyond and City of the Living Dead) and the Exterminator, a few free streaming services I found on Roku like Drive in cinema and Mutant Sorority pictures and of course what I get on DVD and Blu ray.

Gravedigger

Chris Stern

Quote from: Gravedigger on January 03, 2016, 05:16:40 PM
Didn't know Hulu had that stuff... Nice.

yeah it's not alot compared to Shudder which has a good chunk of Mario Bava's films like Bay of Blood, The house of Whipcord, ect. or Exploitation TV which focuses more on the horror and cult and exploitation films(Exploitation TV also has a interesting array of old 70's X-rated films like Vixens of Kung Fu and Fast Cars, Fast Women) but they do have a decent amount of stuff I was watching Cannibal Holocaust on Hulu the other day.

Oh if you want I have Blue Eyes of a Broken Doll and Savage Water(along with a few other films) on my Google Drive https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2V4btb4LV8uNUpxMjFqVjliNzg&usp=sharing
fair warning Savage Water is umm..low rent. Also have Argento's first Giallo The Bird with the Crystal Plumage on there as well

Gravedigger

Just looked at your pics. Thriller is a good choice. I picked that one up after seeing Kill Bill and hearing what the inspiration for Elle Driver was...

Where did you get those big collections?

GM Franchise

Please tell me you've seen the awesomeness that is Blackenstein.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Chris Stern

Quote from: GM Franchise on January 03, 2016, 08:50:10 PM
Please tell me you've seen the awesomeness that is Blackenstein.
Seen it? I own it as well as Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde

Love me some Blaxsploitation I also have Boss N*****, Supersoul Brother, Superfly, Sugar Hill(1974) the one where the main character get's revenge against the mob by summoning a army of zombie plantation slaves to name a few I own.

Sugar Hill trailer: ! No longer available
Boss N-----: ! No longer available

Quote from: Gravedigger on January 03, 2016, 08:42:17 PM
Just looked at your pics. Thriller is a good choice. I picked that one up after seeing Kill Bill and hearing what the inspiration for Elle Driver was...

Where did you get those big collections?

Yeah Thriller was a hell of a movie. I always liked the Revenge sploitation sub genre Thriller aka They Call Her One Eye, Ms 45, I Spit on your Grave aka Day of the Woman, Exterminator, Sugar Hill, Death Force aka Fighting Mad aka Vengance is Mine, ect.

As for the box sets I got those at Wal-mart for 39 dollars a piece. There's like four of them there's the two I have which are the Tales of Terror 200 Horror Film box set, The Drive in Cult Classics Collection 200 Cult movie set and then there is a 200 Western one and another that is War documentaries. 

Chris Stern

Oh has anyone seen the awesomeness that is Flesh Gordon?

! No longer available

Or The Phantom of the Paradise?

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Chris Stern

Gravedigger

GM Franchise

This thread has reached peak levels of awesome.  8)

Another one I like is this Italian one about radioactive mutant cannibal murderers called Nightmare City.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible