NFL Debate #11: Smith v/s Kaepernick

Started by Cory, November 23, 2012, 12:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Usually dont side with James lol but I have a buddy whose a die hard Niners fan, and he doesnt forget the first 4-5 seasons of Smiths career where he cost them game in game out, and wasnt better than Trent Dilfer, and Shaun Hill was a far superior QB before Harbaugh.

Smith MIGHT be the SAFER option this year, but what about next? Smith WONT be the QB to take the Niners anywhere....since the Niners transformation with Harbaugh, Smith has had maybe 3 BIG games.....Kaepernick has had 1 in 3 starts. You know Kaepernick is the future....get him his playing time now, his playoff feet wet and prepare him to lead the team in '13.

Smith blew his chance his first 5 horrible seasons, and now a guy has come along to take his job.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jon

Quote from: Cory on December 03, 2012, 01:36:08 PM
Usually dont side with James lol but I have a buddy whose a die hard Niners fan, and he doesnt forget the first 4-5 seasons of Smiths career where he cost them game in game out, and wasnt better than Trent Dilfer, and Shaun Hill was a far superior QB before Harbaugh.

Smith MIGHT be the SAFER option this year, but what about next? Smith WONT be the QB to take the Niners anywhere....since the Niners transformation with Harbaugh, Smith has had maybe 3 BIG games.....Kaepernick has had 1 in 3 starts. You know Kaepernick is the future....get him his playing time now, his playoff feet wet and prepare him to lead the team in '13.

Smith blew his chance his first 5 horrible seasons, and now a guy has come along to take his job.

In Smith's defense... he went through coaching changes after coaching changes. Different offensive playbook it seemed each season. I also have a buddies who is a diehard Niners fan (I live in Oregon, there are a ton of them), most of them like Smith over Kaepernick. Smith has done nothing but win games since Harbaugh took over. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes and took them to the NFC Championship game... a game that probably would have won if not for the special team blunders. And now they have replaced him with a guy that has potential, yes, but they have now have gone in reverse of where they were with Smith. With Smith, you can win a Super Bowl this year. With Kaepernick, you cannot. That alone makes my decision.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Justin

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 03, 2012, 11:13:43 AM
If he was as great as you guys are acting like he is then they would've won, fumbles or not. He had two touchdown passes in that game but overall Eli played a far superior game than he did and that is why the Niners lost in the end.

James I really am starting to think you just like to talk out of your ass just to argue with people.  Nobody said Alex Smith was great, just that he is better than Kapernick.  He did what he was supposed to do that game.  You can deny it all you want but you know the special teams mistakes cost them that game.

GM Franchise

Quote from: JustinP on December 03, 2012, 04:30:29 PM
James I really am starting to think you just like to talk out of your ass just to argue with people.  Nobody said Alex Smith was great, just that he is better than Kapernick.  He did what he was supposed to do that game.  You can deny it all you want but you know the special teams mistakes cost them that game.

It sure sounds like he's great going by what I'm reading on here. Kaepernick gives them a MUCH better chance of winning than Smith does. Smith is the west coast Josh Freeman game manager QB. That's all he is in my opinion. Trent Dilfer is the closest comparison I can make to him.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 03, 2012, 05:05:28 PM
It sure sounds like he's great going by what I'm reading on here. Kaepernick gives them a MUCH better chance of tying than Smith does. Smith is the west coast Josh Freeman game manager QB. That's all he is in my opinion. Trent Dilfer is the closest comparison I can make to him.

Fixed it for you.

GM Franchise

Quote from: Jon on December 03, 2012, 05:11:54 PM
Fixed it for you.

You can't fix years of Alex Smith ineptitude with one good half season.
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 03, 2012, 05:19:00 PM
You can't fix years of Alex Smith ineptitude with one good half season.

One and half good seasons.

And sure looked like it was fixed. Hard to find a more consistent QB then Alex Smith over this season and last. Sure he has his "bad games" just like any QB will have. But for the most part, he gets the job done and has been getting BETTER with each game under Harbaugh. Of course, I have a bad feeling that relationship isn't has solid now as it once was, but who knows.

I have a feeling we see Alex Smith start next game though and he should be. If the 49ers want to get to the Super Bowl this season that is.

GM Franchise

Quote from: Jon on December 03, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
I have a feeling we see Alex Smith start next game though and he should be. If the 49ers want to get to the Super Bowl this season that is.

They already announced that they are starting Kaepernick next week.

Mike Powers

Quote from: Jon on December 03, 2012, 01:44:13 PM
In Smith's defense... he went through coaching changes after coaching changes. Different offensive playbook it seemed each season. I also have a buddies who is a diehard Niners fan (I live in Oregon, there are a ton of them), most of them like Smith over Kaepernick. Smith has done nothing but win games since Harbaugh took over. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes and took them to the NFC Championship game... a game that probably would have won if not for the special team blunders. And now they have replaced him with a guy that has potential, yes, but they have now have gone in reverse of where they were with Smith. With Smith, you can win a Super Bowl this year. With Kaepernick, you cannot. That alone makes my decision.

QFT!!

Mike Powers

Also, guys like Kaepernick who are "explosive" and "dynamic" may make a ton of highlight reels, but pocket passing game managers win the Super Bowl. The Mannings, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers....non fit the Kaepernick/RG3 mold. And it is no coincidence.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Trumpers on November 27, 2012, 01:53:01 PM
Quite frankly with that defense and that rushing game with that offensive line, Alex K probably could be ok behind centre.

Harbaugh is a bit of a cock in all honesty, he was a cock when he was in Chicago and for those who werent old enough to remember was heavily involved in a QB controversy when he was a player in Chicago with Mike Tomzack...effectively on who would be Jim McMahon and the post Superbowl Champions successor.

I can see an upside to Kaper, but I can also see that he has a bit of the Vick or a bit of the Newton about it. Great upside, great potential to make things happen with his feet or do something special, but something special...does that win Championships? I dont think it does...consistency does.

Given the result with New Orleans it seems to me they are rolling with Kaper and personally think this is major PR mistake for Harbaugh.

Your team is one of the best in the NFC, Smith has been pretty solid this season and GOT you to this record. If you go the whole way with Kaper, the only question which rings is 'could Smith have done it as well?' if you DONT go the whole way with Kaper then people will view it as an almighty mistake to have dumped Smith who's career with the 49ers is now effectively over. Harbaugh doesn't win either way.

I am framing this.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Marq

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Alex Smith probably wouldn't have allowed ten points in that second Rams game.

Just saying.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

J-Reb

You don't replace a QB who has in you first place and an 100 QB rating with an injury.  Kap is still a project - he has wonky mechanics and still has a little ways to go as a quarterback.  Nobody bats an eye if you make this change in the offseason (unless the 49ers win the SB with Smith) but now Harbaugh is going to be haunted with the Kap/Smith questions until the season comes to an end.

They had the formula down - give the ball to Gore 25 times and play toughnosed defense.  Hard to mess with that in the middle of the year.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

What I find kind of funny about this is its like the RC Cola version of the Pepsi QB controversy between Joe Montana and Steve Young. The winning pure passing quarterback vs. the mobile younger quarterback.

And yes...this is the RC Cola version.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Trumpers on November 27, 2012, 01:53:01 PM
Quite frankly with that defense and that rushing game with that offensive line, Alex K probably could be ok behind centre.

Harbaugh is a bit of a cock in all honesty, he was a cock when he was in Chicago and for those who werent old enough to remember was heavily involved in a QB controversy when he was a player in Chicago with Mike Tomzack...effectively on who would be Jim McMahon and the post Superbowl Champions successor.

I can see an upside to Kaper, but I can also see that he has a bit of the Vick or a bit of the Newton about it. Great upside, great potential to make things happen with his feet or do something special, but something special...does that win Championships? I dont think it does...consistency does.

Given the result with New Orleans it seems to me they are rolling with Kaper and personally think this is major PR mistake for Harbaugh.

Your team is one of the best in the NFC, Smith has been pretty solid this season and GOT you to this record. If you go the whole way with Kaper, the only question which rings is 'could Smith have done it as well?' if you DONT go the whole way with Kaper then people will view it as an almighty mistake to have dumped Smith who's career with the 49ers is now effectively over. Harbaugh doesn't win either way.

Say what...100% Trumps!!