News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Wrestling is slowly dying.

Started by ! JDM The Professional !, October 05, 2012, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

! JDM The Professional !

TNA did a .8, and raw was 2. Something (their lowest in 15 years). Wrestling is dying. :(

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

GM Franchise

I've been saying this for years. It's been slowly dying since WCW and ECW folded back in '01.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Rob

Slowly dying? Compared to the height of it's popularity in the 90s it's virtually been dead for the last 10 years... Night of Champions had less fans in attendance than a Crystal Palace home game and the buyrates have gone down hill on a yearly basis since the Attitude era ended. Nobody's interested anymore.

I must admit I was watching both TNA and WWE up until recently and now I've gone off both promotions, not because what they're doing is worse than before... Just because it's STILL not very interesting
SixersEagles

[/center]

Hondo

Dudes.

Wrestling has been cyclical since Jesus invented water. Look at the period between 1988-1996. That was the lowest it's ever been. And look how it rebounded.

It was the same way before the mid 80's too.

So let's all scale back on the Chicken Little impressions. The sky's not falling.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Mike Powers

Quote from: JackHondo on October 05, 2012, 07:50:17 PM
Dudes.

Wrestling has been cyclical since Jesus invented water. Look at the period between 1988-1996. That was the lowest it's ever been. And look how it rebounded.

It was the same way before the mid 80's too.

So let's all scale back on the Chicken Little impressions. The sky's not falling.

+1

Someone/something will catch the casual audiences attention, shits will be given, and wrestling will boom harder than in 97-98.

Snap

Quote from: JackHondo on October 05, 2012, 07:50:17 PM

Using the "cyclical" excuse doesn't cut it when the product itself is borderline garbage. It's also not an exact science, as people aren't going to look at their calendars and say "Hmmm, it's 2016 so WRASSLIN' is KOOL again!!!"

PG isn't the problem, nor is John Cena (though he has been completely overexposed), the product as a whole is just insipid and whoever is ultimately responsible for the final call (yes, I'm talking about YOU, Vince.) needs to stop insulting the intelligence of the audience and provide a product they want to see.

You want to know how I know it's gotten bad? I was watching the Randy Savage DVD and it made me fall asleep! A Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat match should NOT do that, but whenever I try to watch something WWE-related, it knocks me out quicker than Big Show and the WMD.

Hondo

Quote from: Snap on October 05, 2012, 11:31:33 PM
Using the "cyclical" excuse doesn't cut it when the product itself is borderline garbage. It's also not an exact science, as people aren't going to look at their calendars and say "Hmmm, it's 2016 so WRASSLIN' is KOOL again!!!"

PG isn't the problem, nor is John Cena (though he has been completely overexposed), the product as a whole is just insipid and whoever is ultimately responsible for the final call (yes, I'm talking about YOU, Vince.) needs to stop insulting the intelligence of the audience and provide a product they want to see.

You want to know how I know it's gotten bad? I was watching the Randy Savage DVD and it made me fall asleep! A Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat match should NOT do that, but whenever I try to watch something WWE-related, it knocks me out quicker than Big Show and the WMD.

And like I said, the period from 1988 to 1996 was horrendous on both sides. The WWF decided to go full-on cartoon mode and WCW went through so many bad management hires that they couldn't have put forward a decent product even if they wanted to. The product in that era far exceeded the "borderline garbage" threshold.

But you know what happened? An angle caught the fans' imagination (the NWO, of course) and it helped spark renewed interest in the product. And it didn't just boost WCW either. Getting trounced in the ratings forced Vince to freshen up his product and create new stars. And thus, the Attitude Era was born. And from that, you had Paul Heyman shouting "You guys think those two companies are something? You should see ECW!", and garnered much more interest in his organization.

You can't set a watch on the wrestling world, or circle a calendar and say "Oh look, it's 2016, I can watch Raw and Impact now". It takes that one feud that captures everyone's imagination, or that one character who the fans want to pay money to see. All it takes is for the seed to be planted and the tree will grow.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

! JDM The Professional !

Quote from: JackHondo on October 06, 2012, 09:00:46 AM
And like I said, the period from 1988 to 1996 was horrendous on both sides. The WWF decided to go full-on cartoon mode and WCW went through so many bad management hires that they couldn't have put forward a decent product even if they wanted to. The product in that era far exceeded the "borderline garbage" threshold.

But you know what happened? An angle caught the fans' imagination (the NWO, of course) and it helped spark renewed interest in the product. And it didn't just boost WCW either. Getting trounced in the ratings forced Vince to freshen up his product and create new stars. And thus, the Attitude Era was born. And from that, you had Paul Heyman shouting "You guys think those two companies are something? You should see ECW!", and garnered much more interest in his organization.

You can't set a watch on the wrestling world, or circle a calendar and say "Oh look, it's 2016, I can watch Raw and Impact now". It takes that one feud that captures everyone's imagination, or that one character who the fans want to pay money to see. All it takes is for the seed to be planted and the tree will grow.

FCW Bray Wyatt Promo

I'd pay to see him over any current wrestler.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Black Death

I agree with Hondo , his thoughts  are the same as mine . , it will cycle it up again as  new stars are made and the older ones fade out .
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

GM Franchise

Quote from: Mike Powers on October 05, 2012, 10:42:39 PM
+1

Someone/something will catch the casual audiences attention, shits will be given, and wrestling will boom harder than in 97-98.

I highly doubt this will happen especially considering that RAW is now an hour too long.

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on October 06, 2012, 09:22:26 AM
FCW Bray Wyatt Promo

I'd pay to see him over any current wrestler.

I've seen this character before...

Waylon Mercy picnic vignette

No one remembers the awesomeness that was Waylon Mercy.  :)
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Rob

That's it, everything has been done now...
SixersEagles

[/center]

Dorling

Waylon Mercy is clearly supposed to be Max Cady.

Bray Wyatt I dig, there's a more sinister edge to him.

He ain't talkin' bout no picnic, y'know what I mean?

GM Franchise

Bray Wyatt is Max Cady meets Forrest Gump. Look at the shirt he's wearing. It's very similar in style to one Mercy is wearing. Google "Bray Wyatt, Cape Fear" and you'll get 12,000 results that basically go along with my point about it being Waylon Mercy, version 2. That's part of the reason I don't dig it. It's been done before. Let me add in that the only rehashed character that I like is The Genius version 2, aka Damien Sandow. Hopefully he goes more along that route as far as that goes.

Hondo

The thing you're leaving out, James... The Waylon Mercy gimmick wasn't a bad one. They just saddled it on a guy (Dan Spivey) who'd been around for years and was getting up in the years and his body started giving out on him. Before he could make much of an impact, he suffered a career ending injury and that's the end.

And I thought the same thing about Sandow/Poffo at first too. But Sandow's managed to evolve the character much more than just a Genius clone.

The Stonewall

Well, Varga.  You probably can't accept the fact that every angle now has probably been done before and everything after will be repeated in cycles and circles.  Not everyone remembers who the hell Waylon Mercy is.  I doubt the younger generation will bother to look for him, either.

Point blank, while you might not like it...  Vince/HHH doesn't care.  They have a direction they want to go in.  He might be a part of the plans.  Heck, Waylon didn't work because Dan Spivey got hurt.  If he didn't...  Who knows, eh?

So, let them try again.  If it works, then okay, it's Waylon 2.0.  If not, at least they tried.