News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

The last book you read?

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie Swing

Finished Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas this afternoon.

Hunter S. Thompson is a beast.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Duckman on May 02, 2009, 02:32:06 PM
Going to sound like a total wrestling mark but fuck it!  Last book I read was Bret Hart's autobiography.

I don't normally read autobiographies but I had to get this one.  I thought it was a decent read, some very interesting moments and his life growing up sounds total chaos.  If he'd have grown up like that these days all 12 kids would've been taken into care.

The only thing I didn't like is the over use of hindsight.  You can see where they're setting up all through the book for Vince and Shawn to screw him over.  Also there's lots of moments where someone does him wrong and he'll say,

"But I always knew I'd get the better of him one day."  Which is total bollocks because you never think like that at the time of someone screwing you over.

Still, a great insight into the mind of Bret and also behind the scenes stuff in WWE.  Shame it's got such a tragic ending, screwjob, Owen dies, Davey dies,  Bret's stroke, all pretty harsh reading.

Peace

Duckman

As interesting as it sounds, that hindsight thing sounds REALLY annoying... and somehow not surprising  :-\

Though I have heard that he got a different publisher for this because WWE wanted to censor so much of it. That in itself makes it somewhat intrigueing.

Daffodil

I just finished "Pride and Prejudice" the other day. About to start reading on "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway.

Draeden

Finally finished Reaper's Gale (Erikson), bring on Toll the Hounds!

Judge

Reading Arthas: Rise of the Lich King now.

Drama Queen

Currently reading "Bloodhound" which is part two of the "Beka Cooper" Trilogy by Tamora Pierce.

I am really into this, I wish I had more time to read. I loved the first book ("Terrier") and have been waiting for this one for quite a while. It is actually the first time I've awaited a sequel since "Mostly Harmless" of the Hitchhiker's Guide series as most series (Narnia, Potter, Uglies etc) I didn't get into until AFTER the entire series was published.

It got delayed several times as Tamora Pierce was badly injured in an auto-accident. I'm glad she's better, and more selfishly I'm glad the book is finally out :D (no audio version out yet though sadly)

Kirkland

Stoner

I've recently finished the "Mistborn" trilogy (Mistborn, Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages) by Brandon Sanderson.  All three were really good, as well as his book "Warbreaker" that Jag told me about which can be downloaded online.  I'm reading "Elantris" by the same author currently.  He has a theme with Gods and people w/ extra godly powers and whatnot, but they're all pretty good reads.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Jack Kaiser

Just finished reading Jericho's book.  It might be the first autobiography that I read a second time.  It's that awesome.

chunkylover

I'm reading through Homocide: A Year on the Killing streets by David Simon,

If you even remotely like the wire, read it.

Black Death

the dangerous days of Daniel X   by james patterson   great read

starting on the graphic novel version of the Dresden files first book Storm Front
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Drama Queen

I just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Whilst I would rate it as higly as most seem to, I can see and appreciate why it got the acclaim it did. The ending was great though, and during the whole court case I was so engrossed it was really hard to concentrate on my work (again I was listening on audiobook)

It really was a great read, I just felt like with all the hype I should have got something more from it than what I did.

Kuroi Storm

The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul.

Great book.  Great man.

jagilki

Canticle by Ken Sholes (sp?)

http://scienceandsociety.net/2009/10/19/science-fiction-and-fantasy-ken-scholes-canticle/

Reading "The Gathering Storm" part 12 of the Wheel of Time series.  Author died while writing it.  Brandon Sanderson finished it using his notes.

Zombie Gunn

Just finished reading the 1st Harry Potter book to my kids.  Took a couple weeks, but it was cool.