Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conor

Watched Sid and Nancy last night, Alex Cox's film on the last days of Sid Vicious and his girlfriend Nacny Spungen. It had an excellent performance from Gary Oldman as Sid, and Chloe Webb wasn't bad as Nancy. The supporting cast was OK, though the guys playing John Lydon and Malcolm McLaren just seemed to be imitating the real people rather than actually acting and bringing anything to the roles. It was made over twenty years ago, so you get a real feel for just how shitty New York was at the time. Anyone familiar with Sid's story knows it doesn't have a happy ending, but this shouldn't put you off from catching it if you can.

Midas

Watched Inglourious Basterds last night on DVD

Must say I am iffy on Taratino since Kill Bill whcih I did not enjoy, but this movie was great... Alot of people can contend that the movie is too long and has many drawn out points that leave you longing for ACTION. But personally I think he utilized every minute of screen time to properly set up the suspense of the movie. He set it up in chapters in order to skip over time with ease and each chapter had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen. The suspense of each chapter made for a great movie along with great acting by Christoph Waltz as the Jew Hunter and Brad Pitt as Aldo the Apache who had me just laughing my ass off at the way he approached the character...

Great movie and worth the 2 1/2 HOURS spent watching it...

Next Movie: The Hangover (Tonight)

Side Note: I personally prefer movie that go over TWO hours as I feel they are given more time to develop the storyline instead of rushing it like many movies under TWO hours do. Case and point is MIB 2 which was a garbage movie as it was but instead the director cut the movie to 1 hour & 28 minutes in order to fit the movie into more showings at the theaters and hence increase profits. Shame personally... Don't get me wrong to much screen time can kill a movie also, while some people probably loved the movie I thought that There will be blood could have been cut down by atleast 20 minutes in order to make the movie flow better...

Zombie Gunn

I just saw Inglourious Basterds tonight.  I don't really know WHAT to make of this.  I thoroughly enjoyed it as an alternate reality to how the war could have ended.  I hadn't realized how drastic this take was from reality until this movie.  This whole time I'm thinking, it was only dramatized.  The movie is reaching its climax and I'm thinking "ok... so how is it going to go horribly wrong?"  I knew it HAD to go wrong.  I was picturing something like Valkrye.  But damn, was I wrong.

This is the first Tarantino movie I've ever watched.

Excaligore

Quote from: Zombie Gunn on December 18, 2009, 02:23:33 AM
I just saw Inglourious Basterds tonight.  I don't really know WHAT to make of this.  I thoroughly enjoyed it as an alternate reality to how the war could have ended.  I hadn't realized how drastic this take was from reality until this movie.  This whole time I'm thinking, it was only dramatized.  The movie is reaching its climax and I'm thinking "ok... so how is it going to go horribly wrong?"  I knew it HAD to go wrong.  I was picturing something like Valkrye.  But damn, was I wrong.

This is the first Tarantino movie I've ever watched.

In my eyes, Inglorious Bastards is more of a tongue-in-cheek satire of Hollywood's take on WW2 then it is about WW2. So, I look at it less as an alternate reality and more a sort of loving jab on how serious Hollywood takes itself. Personally, I went into it hoping they would butcher historical accuracy, and they did. Made me happy because it gave the movie a good stance against how exploitative and pretentious Hollywood can be when presenting war.

~

Anyway, since I'm posting here, I  might as well review the last movie I watched.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - Brilliant brilliant film. Truly creative brilliant moments. Insane stylization. Ingenious black humor moments. True Park Chan-Wook masterpiece.

Rating: A

Excaligore

Holy Mountain -

Kind of more an experience then a movie. That's not really a statement of quality more of uniqueness. You go into this one expecting weird and repulsive and it does NOT disappoint. I did enjoy it in a strange way.

By far, the weirdest movie I've ever seen.

Rating: A,  However, only recommended for people with strong stomachs and can stand weirdness

Doug E Fresh

My girlfriend and I saw Sherlock Holmes last night.  It was interesting.  Wasn't too fond of making him a mega action hero but they definitely did quite the job making him out to be the intelligent mind that he is.  Some decent comedy and a good plot from my opinion.  They left it open for a sequel but I get the feeling if they make one it will suck.

Ryan Ruckus

I don't disagree with Doug. The casting of Moriarity (who was foreshadowed in this film) will be a huge factor in whether or not the sequel good. The first one was fine for an entertaining Christmas movie, but I came out of it kind of uncertain about whether it was good or not. I love Robert Downey Jr., always have, but Rachel McAdams was meh, and Watson seemed there only to bounce jokes off of. They did do a good job of showing the process of Holmes' mind, and a cool (albeit convenient) wrap up at the end where they tie in what seemed to be a slew of inane images and information. But the film suffers from an identity crisis. Is it an action movie? A detective movie? A buddy comedy? A supernatural thriller? It tried to be all of them, and therefore suffered a weaker spine then films that actually know what they are. There were sequences that weren't paid off in the "rule of three" and thread lines that weren't woven back in to the build or conclusion. I'd say the main problem was -much like with most Hollywood pre-existing franchises- that there were too damn many non-collaborating writers on the script. Oh, and a couple cool but extraneous fight scenes, so Guy Ritchie could be Guy Ritchie.   

All in all, I enjoyed myself, but if I were you, I'd wait to rent it.

B-

Duckman

Everyone has seen it but I watched the new Star Trek movie on Xmas day.  It's fucking class, no doubt about it.  Great casting, great story, amazing visual effects, fight scenes, comedy.  Just pretty much everything you look for in a major Hollywood blockbuster type movie.  My bro reckons they'll fuck up the sequal but I'm confident this could be a great franchise for a good few movies.

A+

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Alex Smiley

Yes Man starring Jim Carrey was funny as heck, IMO. Great movie, especially recommended if you watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I also watched and enjoyed.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

jagilki

Today I've watched...

Family Guy: Something Something Something, Dark Side..... I'd say... eh.

Bruno... I laughed...

Just putting in District Nine.

Brandon

Quote from: Legion on December 26, 2009, 08:54:18 PM
Yes Man starring Jim Carrey was funny as heck, IMO. Great movie, especially recommended if you watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I also watched and enjoyed.

I didn't know you watched R rated movies.

Doug E Fresh

haha I watched Something Something Something Darkside and loved it lololol

Tim-Æ

review of Sherlock Holmes up at www.ingobwetrust.com

Not written by me, but by our new writer.

Jonny Worldbeater

Saw Sherlock Holmes the other day, here's a few of my quick thoughts:

It was ok. Not great, but better than most of the dreck that gets pushed out nowadays as featured in the half hour of mindless, quick-cutting, 'dark and edgy' bullshit action movie trailers that played before it.

They had a trailer for The Wolfman with this star-studded cast and all I could think was 'all these people are above this'. Looks like schizophrenic mess that has more in common with Wolverine: Origins than it does with the classic Universal Horror film.

Then after about 20 minutes straight of mind-numbing commercials they finally showed another trailer for Date Night. I like Tina Fey. I like Steve Carrell. I will not be watching this film. I mean, a married couple goes out for a night, takes somebody's table and they're caught up in some big criminal plot with James Franco, Mila Kunis and Marky Mark? Fuck off. It looks like there might be a few decent laughs in it but what a tired, pointless, mediocre plot.

And then there was the trailer for Clash of the Titans. The fact that the tag line for this thing was actually 'Titans will Clash' pretty much tells you all you need to know about this total waste of human resources.

Anyway, as far as Sherlock Holmes was concerned, I'd pretty much agree with what Hillman said about the film not knowing what it was supposed to be, but Robert Downey Jr. was good and made for a pretty cool twist on Holmes, Jude Law was good as Watson and the character seemed a little bit more rounded than the general impression, Rachel McAdams did ok with the role she got, but the character seemed a little out of place to me, like it was just shoe-horned in so they'd have a love interest/damsel in distress.

The big thing that brought this movie down for me though was the villain. From scene 1 I thought this guy was completely out of place in the movie. When they opened with that first introductory scene with him I was like 'Did we just walk into a different movie? What the fuck has this got to do with Sherlock Holmes?' I mean, the actor did a good job I guess, but he was just completely unwelcome in the story to me.

I mean, if I'm going to see a Sherlock Holmes movie I expect to see Holmes going up against Moriarty, not Count fuckin' Devildick or whatever the fuck he's supposed to be. It wasn't like this was some origin story telling us how it all came together, Holmes & Watson have clearly been at this for years at the movie's starting point, so what's the point of teasing Moriarty to set up a sequel and leaving us with some cut-rate B-villain who is just generically evil, cliched, has no motivation, is clearly full of shit from the start and isn't even remotely interesting? Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective was a far better Holmes villain than this guy.

So in summary, it was a pretty good film, better than most nowadays, but with some very obvious flaws imo.