News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

MK X gameplay from PAX

Started by Chris Stern, March 04, 2015, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Stern

God damn does this look like it's going to be epic. Gameplay wise it seems a mix of the last MK and Injustice with some new tricks tossed in for good measure.

Mortal Kombat X Gameplay Fatalities Raiden/Sub Zero/Kano/Scorpion - Mortal Kombat 10

Stoner

Netherrealm Studios has found a niche in making good storylines for fighting games.  Between Injustice being good enough to be a continual comic series, and this game itself having a comic series of its own, there is a LOT of reason to be hyped about this if you are a fan of fighting games.

I love the lore of Mortal Kombat in general, so this game having lore as a strong point is so fun to me.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Tritch

I never really got into Mortal Kombat, but this game looks absolutely fucking sick. Considering getting a next-gen in time for Batman, so I might have to scoop this one up too.

Best Town Player - 2008
2nd-Best Overall Player - 2008
2nd-Best Moderator - 2008
Best Third Party Player - 2010
2nd-Best Use of a Night Action - 2010
Best Game (Batman: Arkham City) - 2012
Best Moderator - 2012
2nd-Best Third Party - 2012
Best Game (Batman: Wayne Penitentiary) - 2013
Best Moderator - 2013
2nd-Best Town Player - 2014
2nd-Best Scum Player - 2015
2nd-Best Moderator - 2016
Best Game (The Conjunction: Episode 1) - 2016

Kise

jason vorhees huh

cant wait to see a gameplay vid for him

Judge

Quote from: Stoner on March 04, 2015, 06:55:17 PM
Netherrealm Studios has found a niche in making good storylines for fighting games.  Between Injustice being good enough to be a continual comic series, and this game itself having a comic series of its own,

There's an Injustice Comic series?  Details, son.

Flins.

I thought the game was based on the comics. Interesting that it is the other way around, as I found the comics quite entertaining.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Judge on March 13, 2015, 04:29:46 PM
yeah there was a injustice comic series that was a set up/tie in with the events in the game.
http://injusticegodsamongus.wikia.com/wiki/Injustice:_Gods_Among_Us_Comic

Black Death

Quote from: Judge on March 13, 2015, 04:29:46 PM

you did not know that judge damn good comics
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Chris Stern

Quote from: Stoner on March 04, 2015, 06:55:17 PM
Netherrealm Studios has found a niche in making good storylines for fighting games.  Between Injustice being good enough to be a continual comic series, and this game itself having a comic series of its own, there is a LOT of reason to be hyped about this if you are a fan of fighting games.

I love the lore of Mortal Kombat in general, so this game having lore as a strong point is so fun to me.

Normally when it comes to fighting games for me a solid and balanced fight engine > then a good story but lately NRS has been finding a solid balance between the two. MK9 had a great story and was the first MK since UMK3 to have a serious tournament scene on the EVO circuit and help raise the view of American developed fighters in the community at large, previously American developed fighters were viewed as all style and no substance and then Injustice set a whole new level of epic in terms of story and a solid top level tournament fighting game and this one just seems to top what Injustice brought to the table. As for the Story it seems they are taking a page out of MK9 where the story mode will take place over a series of time periods but unlike MK9 which was a retelling of MK1-3 with some new twists and this one seems to be a return to the story of MK4(no shock their given how the new storyline ended) and after the new MK 4 storyline we get a all new original story as opposed to digging up the meh storylines from Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. 

Stoner

I liked Deadly Alliance.  I liked the storyline (was tired of Liu "The Chosen One" Kang at this point) and the concept with the different fighting styles for each character comboing into one another was really cool and opened up a LOT of possibilities.  I had a lot of fun with it.

Deception's story was disappointing, I appreciated the attempt at giving us a "customizable" fighting character in Shujinko.  But his story was the forefront of the game with very little given to interesting characters like Hotaru and Darius.  Havok was about as much a disappointment as one could get(I just want everything to be chaos!!!1!) and I felt like the Order and Chaos Realms were unnecessary.  The thing I DID like about the game though was the Kamidogu around the arena in the fight against Onaga.  It was an interesting way to make the OP Final Boss have an exploitable weakness for once.

Armageddon....  I liked Create-A-Fighter.  But the less said about that game in general, the better.  I was totally disinterested in the Brothers' storyline and Blaze was totally uninspiring for a final boss in my opinion.

That said, I can see why the storyline isn't leaving any room for the Deadly Alliance stuff to take place, and I definitely like where its going currently better than where it was before.  I've always loved the lore of Mortal Kombat though so not knowing what is and isn't changing is interesting to me.

As far as things making a return, we know Shinnok is back, and Quan Chi.  I'm wondering about other MK4 characters like Kai and Fujin though.  Granted they were "Liu Kang/Raiden 2: Electric Boogaloo" as far as their stories went, but there is still room for them in this game I think.  Kai at least had a pretty unique special set(that they revisited in Deadly Alliance with Shang Tsung a little bit).

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Stoner on March 14, 2015, 04:36:02 PM
I liked Deadly Alliance.  I liked the storyline (was tired of Liu "The Chosen One" Kang at this point) and the concept with the different fighting styles for each character comboing into one another was really cool and opened up a LOT of possibilities.  I had a lot of fun with it.

Deception's story was disappointing, I appreciated the attempt at giving us a "customizable" fighting character in Shujinko.  But his story was the forefront of the game with very little given to interesting characters like Hotaru and Darius.  Havok was about as much a disappointment as one could get(I just want everything to be chaos!!!1!) and I felt like the Order and Chaos Realms were unnecessary.  The thing I DID like about the game though was the Kamidogu around the arena in the fight against Onaga.  It was an interesting way to make the OP Final Boss have an exploitable weakness for once.

Armageddon....  I liked Create-A-Fighter.  But the less said about that game in general, the better.  I was totally disinterested in the Brothers' storyline and Blaze was totally uninspiring for a final boss in my opinion.

That said, I can see why the storyline isn't leaving any room for the Deadly Alliance stuff to take place, and I definitely like where its going currently better than where it was before.  I've always loved the lore of Mortal Kombat though so not knowing what is and isn't changing is interesting to me.

As far as things making a return, we know Shinnok is back, and Quan Chi.  I'm wondering about other MK4 characters like Kai and Fujin though.  Granted they were "Liu Kang/Raiden 2: Electric Boogaloo" as far as their stories went, but there is still room for them in this game I think.  Kai at least had a pretty unique special set(that they revisited in Deadly Alliance with Shang Tsung a little bit).
Yeah it would be pretty silly to just revisit the same storylines over and over again, so it's good they are heading in a new direction with this one after the new version of the MK4 storyline, It seems after the MK4 portion they will focus on some Aztec looking guy and Melinna battling for control of out-world.

Some story bits:
Mortal Kombat 10 Story Mode Gameplay First 10 Minutes 60FPS - Mortal Kombat X Walkthrough
now the early johnny cage part of the story replays twice once to show you how it was produced and then again to show you what the final version looks like.  after that you get a look at some of the later story elements. 

Stoner

Am I the only one wierded out that Johnny Cage looks like Jeremy Renner?

And even if they don't follow the storyline of Deadly Alliance-Armageddon(which they shouldn't) I do hope they end up bringing back a few of the characters.  The previously mentioned Hotaru and Darius would be cool, as well as Kobra and Kira.  Frost is mah bebs.

Chris Stern

Quote from: Stoner on March 15, 2015, 05:20:51 PM
Am I the only one wierded out that Johnny Cage looks like Jeremy Renner?

And even if they don't follow the storyline of Deadly Alliance-Armageddon(which they shouldn't) I do hope they end up bringing back a few of the characters.  The previously mentioned Hotaru and Darius would be cool, as well as Kobra and Kira.  Frost is mah bebs.
Yeah I am not a fan of Cage's new look either. I almost didn't recognize him at first. As for the characters from the Deadly Alliance era it would be pretty cool and it's possible that some will return but I am not holding my breath for Frost though since she would be too much like another Sub-zero, not saying that she won't since the only charecters I recall NRS swear up and down will never return in a playable form is Bao Ri Chao and the ultra lousy Hsu Hao but if she does she will be different then she was in the later MK games. 

Stoner

Well, there likely isn't a whole lot of room for her anymore.  Not in regards to character slots, but because anything that would have differentiated her from Sub Zero could just be done by one of Sub Zero's fighting styles.  My main reason for liking her was that she was less defensive than Sub Zero normally and much easier to be aggressive with.  My first Flawless Victory against Moloch was with her(second was Shang Tsung).  Her speed was so much easier to be offensive with and it worked well for me.  Her damage may have been lower but that speed was tops.

Then again, I'm very much a casual player, and don't keep up with tournament trends in the least.  My favorite characters in fighting games tend to be bottom tier anyway.